Maximizing Benefits for Dual Degree (DVM/MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker and first time poster in this forum! I did a quick search with no luck, but if a similar situation has been discussed, by all means please point me in the right direction.

I recently left active duty August 2018 with full GI Bill benefits. I've since been admitted to a few veterinary schools, and a couple allow students to concurrently pursue a Master's of Public Health degree (a long time goal of mine). Vet school is 4+ academic years long and starts late this August; with in-state tuition I'll be right at the max annual GIB tuition. I anticipate using the STEM extension to help cover rotations between 3rd year spring/summer thru 4th year and eventually graduation, but would like to add in the MPH to maximize that 4th year STEM extension. The Master's program would start this summer (early June) and is done entirely online with a five year window to complete.

I'm familiar with the BAH/tuition/book stipends thanks to my husband recently pursuing an MBA, but am not sure how to apply benefits to two separate programs in different BAH categories. Ideally, I'd like to use benefits for the DVM Aug-Dec/Feb-May each year and the online MPH the winter/summer breaks in between. Any insight or experience on whether this is possible? Voc rehab is on the table as well, though I admittingly haven't done the due diligence into researching that rabbit hole.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a 5 year window to complete the MPH, can it not be completed during the semesters of vet school? Do the classes have to take place only during breaks? Chances are voc rehab as you mention at the end wouldn't approve a dual program for two higher level degrees when you could opt for 1 and have a good job since its an employment program.

Are the classes for the MPH only during those breaks/Do they last only as long as those breaks? Like are they separate terms from the regular semesters? If so, then regarding the GI Bill, all you have to do is register for those specific class for each semester/block. Nothing has to be approved in the same way as voc rehab.

With a 5 year window to complete the MPH, can it not be completed during the semesters of vet school? Do the classes have to take place only during breaks? Chances are voc rehab as you mention at the end wouldn't approve a dual program for two higher level degrees when you could opt for 1 and have a good job since its an employment program.

Are the classes for the MPH only during those breaks/Do they last only as long as those breaks? Like are they separate terms from the regular semesters? If so, then regarding the GI Bill, all you have to do is register for those specific class for each semester/block. Nothing has to be approved in the same way as voc rehab.

From what it sounds like, the MPH classes are flexible and can be scheduled when most convenient for the student. I wouldn't be opposed to doing classes for both degrees simultaneously during the standard academic months, but the DVM alone will use up the 24k per academic year provided by the GI Bill. The MPH is through a different university that partners with about half of the American DVM programs to provide a veterinary-specific curriculum, but it's another 30k when all is said and done. Using the GI Bill on the winter/summer months for the MPH would help with BAH and to offset tuition.

I guess my question should be reworded to ask if I can pursue two degrees from two schools while using the GI Bill in the same 4 year timespan.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what it sounds like, the MPH classes are flexible and can be scheduled when most convenient for the student. I wouldn't be opposed to doing classes for both degrees simultaneously during the standard academic months, but the DVM alone will use up the 24k per academic year provided by the GI Bill. The MPH is through a different university that partners with about half of the American DVM programs to provide a veterinary-specific curriculum, but it's another 30k when all is said and done. Using the GI Bill on the winter/summer months for the MPH would help with BAH and to offset tuition.

I guess my question should be reworded to ask if I can pursue two degrees from two schools while using the GI Bill in the same 4 year timespan.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. You will barely have enough time on GI bill to cover vet school, and certainly not enough for both. And as you’re aware, there is an annual cap. Even receiving BAH alone, that will use a month of your time.. this will lead to you paying more tuition out of pocket later or even each year beyond the total cap.

I wasn’t aware it was from another school. You can’t be dual enrolled. I though the program was through your school.

Appreciate your experienced input! Looks like I'll be looking for some scholarships haha.

Have you thought about doing an MPH at the same institution as the vet school? Even if it's not veterinary focused.
My school does enrollment based on block tuition. As in, you're charged a flat fee per semester as long as you're at full time enrollment. You're allowed to add on additional course work on top of the veterinary school requirements. I know of a few people in the years above me that had used this to knock out some MPH or Master's classes during the classroom portion of school and during clinics.