Mayo Clinic CEO walks back comments on prioritizing privately insured patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lets be honest. If you're rich, you are gonna be seen and treated first. Gotta keep them multi million dollar donations coming in.

Reactions: 1 users
They don't call it Destination Medicine for nothing!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“We’re asking … if the patient has commercial insurance, or [if] they’re Medicaid or Medicare patients and they’re equal, that we prioritize the commercial insured patients enough so … we can be financially strong at the end of the year,” Noseworthy said at the time. Mayo Clinic made $475 million in profit in 2016, down from $612 million three years prior.

I wish the article would show the entire transcript rather than to use the ellipsis right after saying the really important(possibly damming) statement-- I want to see where Noseworthy went with this line of argument.

Either way, pretty poor choice of words if it was a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

This is the natural course of medicine in the US. I can point to a dozen or so examples of money driving healthcare decisions around me without thinking hard (since most can be commonly found around me every day). If you are going to have a tiered healthcare system, you are going to get different standards of care. How this is news or even remotely surprising is astounding. It is like Trump saying, "Nobody realized healthcare was complicated." Really???

Reactions: 6 users
I mean this is not far fetched. The problem is they would lose the ability to bill medicare and medicaid as they would be violating the CMS rules of participation by using ability to pay and treat differently. It is however, in Mayo's best interest to keep medicare patients because they probably make a big chunk of their revenue. Every hospital admin wants a better payor mix with less medicaid and more private insurance this is not particularly surprising.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. Everything costs money, I know this may come as a shock to some of you.

Reactions: 4 users
This is the natural course of medicine in the US. I can point to a dozen or so examples of money driving healthcare decisions around me without thinking hard (since most can be commonly found around me every day). If you are going to have a tiered healthcare system, you are going to get different standards of care. How this is news or even remotely surprising is astounding. It is like Trump saying, "Nobody realized healthcare was complicated." Really???

Maybe to us, but the lay public might not feel that away. A lot of people might be very scandalized to learn that we have a tiered healthcare system, hence the political walkback by the Mayo CEO for saying something that is practically tautological if you know anything about healthcare in the US.

Mayo will probably have to fill residency spots with NPs after this

Maybe to us, but the lay public might not feel that away. A lot of people might be very scandalized to learn that we have a tiered healthcare system, hence the political walkback by the Mayo CEO for saying something that is practically tautological if you know anything about healthcare in the US.

"us" meaning you and I or SDN? Because based on this post: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-insured-patients-over-medicare-caid.1247920/ I don't think you have to go very far.