2023-2024 Mayo Clinic - Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @jrs565 for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Mayo Clinic - Arizona Secondary Prompts

**Each is 500 words or less.**

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated.

2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities but also in your relationships with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a way to apply specifically to the AZ location of Mayo for medical school? I don't see that as an option? Or am I blind? TY!
You just apply to Mayo as a whole on AMCAS, and when you submit your secondary, you'll rank the campuses in order of your preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md here are the prompts!

Please submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each).

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated.

2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities but also in your relationships with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.

Reactions: 2 users
When you refer to Mayo Arizona, are you referring to it as Alix? or is that just how you would refer to Rochester?

When you refer to Mayo Arizona, are you referring to it as Alix? or is that just how you would refer to Rochester?
I think in my essay I just said “the Arizona campus.”

I'm uncertain which campus to prefer. The website is relatively nondescript regarding substantive differences.

Is there a difference in competitiveness, acceptance rate, or match rate?

I'm uncertain which campus to prefer. The website is relatively nondescript regarding substantive differences.

Is there a difference in competitiveness, acceptance rate, or match rate?
Do you prefer extreme summers or winters? That is how a lot of people decide.

I won't lie. Locationally, I don't think I care.

If there are program differences though, those would be impactful variables.

I just want the best education I can get and the strongest chance at the residency of my choice.

I just want the best education I can get and the strongest chance at the residency of my choice.
The education is identical. Rochester campus has a slightly stronger match list.

How should we interpret the length of the first question? To me a “few sentences” is like 3-5 but the max word count is 500.

How should we interpret the length of the first question? To me a “few sentences” is like 3-5 but the max word count is 500.
I put a few sentences specifically to the campus, but spent the rest of the time talking about Mayo as a whole.

Members don't see this ad :)

The Rochester campus is the oldest so you may in theory find more research opportunities there.

You're at Mayo. Not some rural North Dakota 20 bed hospital. What you get at Mayo is going to be second to none regardless of location. Different regions have different strengths (eg their transplant center is stronger in AZ) but you have equal access to each and every location they offer. Trust me when I say you are beyond fortunate if you even receive an II.

OOS II, LM84, complete 7/17

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Seems like all the super star stats are getting IIs. Congrats!

OOS II LM 79, 523, GPA 3.9 submitted on 7/10

• Wow
OOS II today! LM 76, complete 7/10.

OOS II (MY FIRST ONE!!!) LM 73.7, complete 7/25. 🤍

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who has interviewed already, what was your experience like?

pre-II R, complete 7/29, low research applicant

Last edited:
  • Care
Pre II - R. LM 75 w/350 hours of research. Doesn’t even hurt. I didn’t want to go to Mayo anyways🥹🥹

• Care
Has anyone tried to reschedule an interview day with them? I just had a MAJOR work event come up that conflicts with my interview day. Don't want Mayo to think I am not taking this interview seriously but also very much need to reschedule if at all possible.

Does anyone have more research into the Arizona campus? Campus life? Student resources? Research?

For those of you who interviewed, did you upload thank you letters to the portal or send it directly to your interviewers?

OOS II on 10/12, very excited!

has anyone that interviewed received a "post interview review complete" email for the AZ campus? I saw some people for the Rochester campus had

did anyone else receive an email from a student? I'm just wondering if this was a generic email sent to everyone who interviewed or not

edit: for context, I received this email a few days after I got the email saying the committee had made a decision on my app.

Last edited: