MCAT 503, cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bs599

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 502 is equivalent to a 26. I did not think any state schools had averages below a 506 (29). Puerto Rico maybe.

You will be a long shot for GT and GWU but those schools are a crapshoot even for people with high stats so why not try.

I hope you get accepted but as you already know you would increase your chances if you applied DO as well.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
my mcat score was a 503
C/P: 124
Crit: 127
Bio: 126
Psych: 126

SGPA: 3.5 and cGPA: 3.6

The only reason my GPA is so low is because of bombing organic1&2 with a D but then I retook and got A's and now I'm tutoring it!
Do you think I should retake the mcat at this point?

I don't plan on applying DO even though I know it's a better shot. I want to do an MD for sure.
I'm definitely applying to my state schools who's avg mcat is a 502, and avg GPA a 3.7

But my goals are in MD or VA, specially George Washington or Georgetown

I'm a BS in Bio and Psych and a minor in Stats, and I've been doing research for almost 4yrs with a publication under revision!
I have tons of leadership positions in many science organizations along with a job in Occupational therapy, and a lot of volunteering experience.
I'm a current senior in college

What do you guys think of my info in terms of my chances and whether I should retake the mcat?
Too bad. Unless you are URM and/or live in a lucky state, you are not competitive for MD schools.

You are fine for most DO schools, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done any research on the schools? Do you have the MSAR? I just did a quick Google search for GW and Gtown. To start with your 503~ 27/28 on the old scale. GTowns MCAT average is 32 and GW is31. So you are well below their MCAT stats. If you don't have the MSAR buy it now and use it to develop a realistic list. It's up to you if you want to retake the MCAT. But don't do it until you are ready and until you are consistently scoring at or near your target score. And your target should be 513/514+ since many schools average scores. (So 503+513= 1016/2 = 508[30]). By turning your nose up at DO you are severely limiting yourself to any acceptance. Do you know anything about DO?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Buy an MSAR and review. I'm sure you're significantly below 10th percentile for target school matriculants in both categories.

Have you done any research on the schools? Do you have the MSAR? I just did a quick Google search for GW and Gtown. To start with your 503~ 27/28 on the old scale. GTowns MCAT average is 32 and GW is31. So you are well below their MCAT stats. If you don't have the MSAR buy it now and use it to develop a realistic list. It's up to you if you want to retake the MCAT. But don't do it until you are ready and until you are consistently scoring at or near your target score. And your target should be 513/514+ since many schools average scores. (So 503+513= 1016/2 = 508[30]). By turning your nose up at DO you are severely limiting yourself to any acceptance. Do you know anything about DO?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Not sure why you're saying I was "turning my nose up" to DO schools. I was not by any means insulting or undermining DOs. My mother is a DO and father is an MD and I've done some shadowing around both areas and I just think MD is more my style in terms of learning and practicing methods. If my scores at the moment aren't able to make it to MD then I would rather work to improve it than commit myself to an area I'm not as interested in! And yes I do have MSAR, but from what I can tell for George Washington, their 25% is 500 and their 50% is 505 unless I'm reading it wrong.

If I send applications this month but retake my mcat next month, will they have a chance to see my new score?

Not sure why you're saying I was "turning my nose up" to DO schools. I was not by any means insulting or undermining DOs. My mother is a DO and father is an MD and I've done some shadowing around both areas and I just think MD is more my style in terms of learning and practicing methods. If my scores at the moment aren't able to make it to MD then I would rather work to improve it than commit myself to an area I'm not as interested in! And yes I do have MSAR, but from what I can tell for George Washington, their 25% is 500 and their 50% is 505 unless I'm reading it wrong.

If I send applications this month but retake my mcat next month, will they have a chance to see my new score?
The new MCAT scales in the MSAR are misleading in that they are for applicants to the school.
For realistic stats look at the median and 10th percentile for matriculants (using 27+ as your comparator). There are a few MD schools where your MCAT is above the 10th percentile but they tend to be state schools with a strong preference for IS applicants. There are no MD schools in MD, VA or DC where you have a fair chance at an interview.GW's 10th percentile is 27 but with 15,653 applications, you chances are pretty small for an interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
The new MCAT scales in the MSAR are misleading in that they are for applicants to the school.
For realistic stats look at the median and 10th percentile for matriculants (using 27+ as your comparator). There are a few MD schools where your MCAT is above the 10th percentile but they tend to be state schools with a strong preference for IS applicants.

Ohhh, well that just made a world of difference for me, thanks!

I live in Huntington WV, I'm talking about Marshal University
Definitely apply to Marshall and West Virginia since that is where your best chances are. Other schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
GW
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Georgetown and the Virginia schools are reaches with your current MCAT. A MCAT greater than 508 would give you a chance at Georgetown, Eastern Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth.

I had very similar stats (504 MCAT). I applied to 13 MD and 2 DO. I got interviews at 3/13 MD schools and 2/2 DO schools. I got into one MD school (which I will be attending this fall) and was WL at another. In addition I was accepted to both DO programs as well. It's important to make a realistic list but anything is possible, esp if you have good EC, LR, and PS. Good luck!

Definitely apply to Marshall and West Virginia since that is where your best chances are. Other schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
GW
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Georgetown and the Virginia schools are reaches with your current MCAT. A MCAT greater than 508 would give you a chance at Georgetown, Eastern Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth.

Thank you so much for your informative response, I really appreciate it instead of seeing "there's no way you'll make it in with your scores". I will definitely be keeping my focus on in state and keep my other applications realistic! Thanks again!

I had very similar stats (504 MCAT). I applied to 13 MD and 2 DO. I got interviews at 3/13 MD schools and 2/2 DO schools. I got into one MD school (which I will be attending this fall) and was WL at another. In addition I was accepted to both DO programs as well. It's important to make a realistic list but anything is possible, esp if you have good EC, LR, and PS. Good luck!

That is such a relief to hear!! If you don't mind, could you let me know what some of the schools you heard back from were? Congratulations, and thanks so much!!

Your MCAT score is lethal for MD schools and kinda OK for DO schools. But you'd get rejected at mine, CCOM, AZCOM, Touro-CA + NY and maybe PCOM

my mcat score was a 503
C/P: 124
Crit: 127
Bio: 126
Psych: 126

SGPA: 3.5 and cGPA: 3.6

The only reason my GPA is so low is because of bombing organic1&2 with a D but then I retook and got A's and now I'm tutoring it!
Do you think I should retake the mcat at this point?

I don't plan on applying DO even though I know it's a better shot. I want to do an MD for sure.
I'm definitely applying to my state schools who's avg mcat is a 502, and avg GPA a 3.7

But my goals are in MD or VA, specially George Washington or Georgetown

I'm a BS in Bio and Psych and a minor in Stats, and I've been doing research for almost 4yrs with a publication under revision!
I have tons of leadership positions in many science organizations along with a job in Occupational therapy, and a lot of volunteering experience.
I'm a current senior in college

What do you guys think of my info in terms of my chances and whether I should retake the mcat?

If I apply to schools now with my current MCAT score, and then retake it in August, do you think schools will have the chance to see my new MCAT score before they analyze my application? I just don't want to wait to submit my applications and be late in applying.

That is such a relief to hear!! If you don't mind, could you let me know what some of the schools you heard back from were? Congratulations, and thanks so much!!

I will be attending NYMC. In addition to NYMC, I was invited to interview at Albert Einstein, Stony Brook, TouroHarlem, and NYIT.

Your best chance at an MD interview are your state schools.
55% of WV applicants matriculated into one of their IS schools, so your chances at an interview at Marshall or WV are decent.
If you are unsuccessful this cycle, it would be wise to re-take the MCAT and/or apply to DO schools next cycle.