MCAT and school during the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenntalks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking a summer school course (6 hours of class/week in the morning + ~10 hours/week extra work) in May - mid June, research throughout the summer (~6 hours/week), as well as take an MCAT Princeton Prep Course end of May - mid July, and then possibly write the MCAT at the beginning of August.

Do you guys think this workload would be doable in this timeframe (~3 months)? Would you recommend possibly using SN2's schedule for 3 months instead of taking the prep course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I self studied using SN2 and changed it a little to do ~5 hours/day for 4.5 months. I was working part time on the side as well ~20 hours/week. Take the prep course if you lack the discipline to stick to a schedule for that long. Otherwise I would say you don't really need it. The class and research might be tough... you really have to be focused on the MCAT to crank out everything in only 3 months. It can definitely be done but you've got to minimize distractions as much as possible.

I took Mcat last summer and devoted 150 hours to content review and then 200 hours to taking practice exams and learning what I missed from those exams. 3.8 science major at big ten univ and scored 513 with amount of studying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying this cycle?

No, I was not planning on applying this cycle.

I self studied using SN2 and changed it a little to do ~5 hours/day for 4.5 months. I was working part time on the side as well ~20 hours/week. Take the prep course if you lack the discipline to stick to a schedule for that long. Otherwise I would say you don't really need it. The class and research might be tough... you really have to be focused on the MCAT to crank out everything in only 3 months. It can definitely be done but you've got to minimize distractions as much as possible.

If I push the test to a later date, let's say the beginning of September, would this be more plausible. In your opinion, would self-studying ~5 hours/day for 4 months be sufficient, on top of the class and research?

If I push the test to a later date, let's say the beginning of September, would this be more plausible. In your opinion, would self-studying ~5 hours/day for 4 months be sufficient, on top of the class and research?
Thats what I did - started studying mid April and took a September test. If you don't need the summer class credit, don't take it and just focus on your MCAT. As someone who took it twice, trust me you only want to do this once.