MCAT Test Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grannysmithapple12

Reaction score
I have a score but it wasn't very good. I haven't submitted my primary application yet, but I am applying for the fall of 2019 cycle. I am schedule to take my next MCAT on August 3rd, but I feel as if im not ready. is taking the MCAT on August 31 too late??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I had summer school after my mcat. So I just started back studying last week. I start school again August 21. I was wanting to take my mcat August 31st or September 1.
I would not retake the MCAT if I wasn't absolutely sure I could increase my score by at least 3 points. It looks very bad if you retake it and either do worse or the same. Also, applying late can hurt your application. If you took the MCAT in late August/early September, you wouldn't get your scores back until October. It really puts you at a disadvantage when applying that late. Honestly, I would study for the MCAT, retake it at a later date when I was sure I could score better, and apply next cycle. It will save you a lot of time and money.

I would not retake the MCAT if I wasn't absolutely sure I could increase my score by at least 3 points. It looks very bad if you retake it and either do worse or the same. Also, applying late can hurt your application. If you took the MCAT in late August/early September, you wouldn't get your scores back until October. It really puts you at a disadvantage when applying that late. Honestly, I would study for the MCAT, retake it at a later date when I was sure I could score better, and apply next cycle. It will save you a lot of time and money.
I’m sure I can bring my score up a lot higher with more practice. I researched the schools I’m wanting to apply and they accept mcat test dates as earliest as September 15 as the deadline. The school I really wanting to go accepts MCAT test dates in January. Would this still be a bad a idea? I’m really wanting to apply for the 2019 cycle.

All schools will accept MCATs of September 19th, as that is the last exam of the year. However, these dates are more designed for people applying the following year. If you take the 9/19 test, you get your score back 10/23. If you apply then, you might need 1-2 weeks to get verified. Then 1-4 weeks before you receive any secondarys. Then it may take a month or more before each school reviews your packet. At this point, many schools have already filled a big portion of their incoming class, and most of the interview slots have been filled already. The only people that get in when applying late are high stats folks. If you have already have a low first MCAT, then it will take a really high second MCAT to make this group (probably like a 520).

If you are not feeling ready now, then stop. Take more time, and do the MCAT right, then apply in 2019 for matriculation in 2020. A second bad MCAT, especially so soon after the first, will really hurt any chances. Take a gap year and use it to better your application.

Reactions: 1 users
All schools will accept MCATs of September 19th, as that is the last exam of the year. However, these dates are more designed for people applying the following year. If you take the 9/19 test, you get your score back 10/23. If you apply then, you might need 1-2 weeks to get verified. Then 1-4 weeks before you receive any secondarys. Then it may take a month or more before each school reviews your packet. At this point, many schools have already filled a big portion of their incoming class, and most of the interview slots have been filled already. The only people that get in when applying late are high stats folks. If you have already have a low first MCAT, then it will take a really high second MCAT to make this group (probably like a 520).

If you are not feeling ready now, then stop. Take more time, and do the MCAT right, then apply in 2019 for matriculation in 2020. A second bad MCAT, especially so soon after the first, will really hurt any chances. Take a gap year and use it to better your application.

This exactly. Applying late only works if your stats are excellent. If you have a low MCAT already, it's not worth the gamble.

The benefits of taking the MCAT later and applying next cycle: add activities and work experience, submit primary extra early (get early interviews), score better on MCAT because have more time to study, higher chance of acceptance and better MCAT score

If you do the worse or same on the MCAT and apply late, it will hurt your application. Even if you increase the score, the late submission of your application will hurt you (many of the spots will be taken and you will be interviewing later in cycle - a lot of times for a wait-list spot)

The reason why you should wait until you are prepared is because this is a draining process. It costs a lot of money (especially if you apply broadly) - primaries, secondaries, interviews (plane tickets, hotels). It takes a lot of your time (filling out application, secondary essays, again interviews). You do NOT want to have to do this more than once if you can help it. Take a year, get more E.C.'s, research, whatever your application needs, and study for the MCAT/retake it. Apply in June. You will be much better off.

Reactions: 1 user