1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MCAT verbal scores

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Asmin Tulpule, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Asmin Tulpule

Asmin Tulpule New Member

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an approximate scale for the MCAT verbal section? About how many can you miss for a 12? or 10? The AAMC V and VI tests say you can get a 47 (18 wrong) and still get a 10.... I was just a bit skeptical. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Our Princeton review instructor said that the AAMC V grading scale was a bit harsh for the Verbal. Since they are using the averages of all tests the scoring scale is going to be a bit off. He actually told us that we should add two points to our verbal score on AAMC V. I think I got 21 wrong and got a 9....so if what he is telling me is correct I should have gotten an 11. I dont know how much truth there is in that but it sure makes me feel better.

4. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

whoops...i meant 21 wrong gave me an 8...but according the PR I should have gotten a 10.

5. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

21 wrong definitely won't give u a 10.

maybe a 9, but most likely an 8 is the correct score.

6. Asmin Tulpule

Asmin Tulpule New Member

anyone have more definitve numbers on verbal scoring and the number you can get wrong to get say a 10, 11, or 12? i've heard too many different things from too many different people....

7. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

AAMC #4-6 (#6 = April 2001)

15: 65
    14: 63-64
    13: 59-62
    12: 55-58
    11: 51-54
    10: 48-50
    9: 44-47
    8: 40-43
    7: 37-39
    6: 32-36
    5: 29-31

8. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

use these.................they are pretty accurate

9. judoka

judoka Membership Revoked
    Removed

I think what the person who said you add 2 to your AAMC test V verbal is correct, but not because the scale is off. The verbal test seemed really hard. I mean, i am used to getting 11 and 12's (and even 15's sometimes) and i think i got a 9 on it, which is way harsh. I did well on the other two sections, but i really hope the real MCAT doesn't have a passage like the one in bio about the bacteria with the strange way of mitosis/meiosis. I hope test VI is easier/a better indicator. Don't be discouraged by a bad verbal test V.

10. judoka

Removed

Yo, i just did my scoring for AAMC test v, and i got 3 wrong in phys, which i think should be a 15, but they said 14. I got 8 wrong in bio, which i thought would be a 13, but they said 12. I really think they are being a little harsh. I

11. judoka

Removed

woops, double post...

12. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

wow, 15's in verbal....only 3 wrong in physics?? Thats awesome!!

13. xoomn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Damn. I just scored test V and I got 8, 12, 12. Can someone tell me how to increase the verbal score. I actually did not finish 1.5 passages. That's just ridiculous.... ::mad:

14. uffda

uffda Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you must finish to bring up your score.
    try a more rigorous timed approach in your practice - 1/3 of the passages (e.g. 3 of 9) in 1/3 the alloted time. every morning for a week. then take another timed exam on the weekend. if you need practice passages, cannabilize AAMC II or AAMC III.

this is like a marathon and you have to practice your pace or you won't make it to the end in your desired time.

15. judoka

Removed

When i said i got 15's in verbal, i meant 13-15's, which is like 4-6 wrong usually. None wrong would be freakin' amazing, which i clearly am not.

16. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm not sure anybody shoudl add 2 points to a single section........especially if its from AAMC.......that's a real mcat, so why would the pr instructor think that adding two points to the real thing would be correct.?.........its not like all of a sudden its goign to be easier this year than it was in 2001........don't add any points, you'll liekly be disappointed.............

nero