MCPHS WORCESTER PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received an interview with a pharmcas calculated 2.9 gpa or below?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Iridium!!! Those directions are really helpful, If I get an interview I'll follow them to a T while taking the T LOL! Those from boston will catch my drift. Do you mind sharing your stats and experience?

Thanks!!!
Bachelor's Degree
~3.65 cumulative
~3.65 prerequisite
250+ hours of hospital volunteering
3 LORs
A couple of extracurriculars

P.S. I forgot to mention that takes ~ 1.5 hours to get from the airport to MCPHS.

Reactions: 1 user
As a current student, I can tell you that this program is definitely not for everyone. But, if you are willing to commit to their rigorous curriculum you will do great guaranteed. Also, it is a very established school. They have a fantastic team of professors and faculty and they really give you the tools to succeed, but it depends on you whether you choose to succeed or not. Also, they just had a job fair at the school and pretty much every 3rd-yr student that I knew received multiple job offers on spot! Again, I highly recommend the program if you have been exposed to a rigorous science curriculum already. Otherwise, it will be one hell of a ride! I majored in Biochemistry at UC Davis, and from what I know majority of people in our class were science majors in undergrad.
Hi, how much material (or chapters) is covered on each exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 2-3 exams per week. So, you are constantly being tested on the new material. It's a lot of material, but what makes it tough is that you have to know the slides in and out! But on average, there is an exam for each class every other week.

I am a P1 and I agree with everything Jalvader has posted! A strong science background will ensure your success in the program. Even though Anatomy and Physiology are not required, I suggest taking them. Everyone I know in the program who has never taken them both is struggling. It's worth it. That said, hard work and some sacrifice will make you successful in the program. Good luck to everyone and I am more than happy to answer any questions about the first year.

I called MCPHS today n left them a voicemail abt my application n they called me telling they mailed a letter on thanksgiving to my my parent's address instead of mine n I asked what is the letter about and she said she cannot tell me? Anyone has the same problem? Hope it's an interview letter

I called MCPHS today n left them a voicemail abt my application n they called me telling they mailed a letter on thanksgiving to my my parent's address instead of mine n I asked what is the letter about and she said she cannot tell me? Anyone has the same problem? Hope it's an interview letter

Are you able to ask them to re-send the letter to your address?

Hey everyone! I'm a current P1 student at MCPHS-Worcester, just finishing up my first semester. If you guys have any questions about what to expect from the program or about prepping for interviews or anything, just let me know!

Hey!! What has been your overall experience at mcp?

kjbeat - Stop creepin'. I'm going to answer their P1 questions, not you - got it?? JK

Your MD - it's a great program. Incredibly challenging, but great. It is fast paced with multiple exams every week. Time management is a must or you will crash and burn. You will need to study every day. Not for hours and hours, but you need to keep up with the info. If you have a strong science background, you will find it a bit easier than those who don't. First semester is very science based and sometimes its easy to forget you're in Pharmacy school, since we didn't do much surrounding the actual profession. Starting in spring we'll be doing more, but first semester, not so much.

Anything to add, kjbeat?

Hey!! What has been your overall experience at mcp?
The program itself can feel slightly hectic at times because you are taking 6 classes at one time, but if you manage your time properly, you shouldn't have any issues. You should expect to have at least 2 exams a week for majority of the semester, with the occasional 1 exam and 3 exam weeks. If you have an opportunity I would definitely recommend taking anatomy and physiology because that seems to be the course that most of my classmates are struggling with. I recommend finding a friend or 2 to study with to prep for exams. Pharmacopeia516 and I generally study separately at first and then come together to bounce questions off of each other and do a final review and we both find it helpful. Any other questions, just ask!

The program itself can feel slightly hectic at times because you are taking 6 classes at one time, but if you manage your time properly, you shouldn't have any issues. You should expect to have at least 2 exams a week for majority of the semester, with the occasional 1 exam and 3 exam weeks. If you have an opportunity I would definitely recommend taking anatomy and physiology because that seems to be the course that most of my classmates are struggling with. I recommend finding a friend or 2 to study with to prep for exams. Pharmacopeia516 and I generally study separately at first and then come together to bounce questions off of each other and do a final review and we both find it helpful. Any other questions, just ask!

kjbeat - Stop creepin'. I'm going to answer their P1 questions, not you - got it?? JK

Your MD - it's a great program. Incredibly challenging, but great. It is fast paced with multiple exams every week. Time management is a must or you will crash and burn. You will need to study every day. Not for hours and hours, but you need to keep up with the info. If you have a strong science background, you will find it a bit easier than those who don't. First semester is very science based and sometimes its easy to forget you're in Pharmacy school, since we didn't do much surrounding the actual profession. Starting in spring we'll be doing more, but first semester, not so much.

Anything to add, kjbeat?

Thanks for the awesome insight! I have some questions of my own.

1. Do Prof's expect you to read the entire text and come up with potential test questions on your own for study? Or is everything we need to know pretty much given via power point slides?
2. Does MCP have a nuclear pharmacy program or rotation? Anything to get us exposed to that specialty?
3. For financial aid were you classified as graduate/professional even without a bachelors degree?
4. Have you spoken to recent graduates regarding the job market in the Worcester/Boston area? Prospects and starting salaries please? Does mcp facillitate any of this?
5.What were your admission stats?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Everything that you need to know is from the powerpoint or hand outs provided by the professors. It is your job to ensure that you take adequate notes during class because what ever is on the powerpoint and what ever is expressed verbally by the professor is fair game for the exam. I've only had to read the textbook for one class, and that's US Healthcare/Public Health. Reading the textbook is a huge requirement for that class, but they are both generally pretty easy reads.
2) From what I understand, MCPHS does in fact offer a nuclear pharmacy rotation that you can participate in in your P3 year. You'd have to check with a faculty member but I'm pretty sure I've heard mention of that as a rotation.
3) You'd have to ask someone in the financial aid office about this one because I hold a bachelor's degree so I'm not quite sure.
4) I'm not sure about the Boston/Worcester area, but my pharmacist at my job in NY is an MCP grad and she found a job quite easily. It all depends on the need for pharmacists in the area at the time that you graduate, so you'd have to wait until then to get a better idea about potential jobs in the area. But seeing as you're trying to potentially specialize in nuclear pharmacy, that's something you'd have to wait and see once your graduation is approaching.
5) As for admission stats: I had a 3.5 cumulative GPA, a 3.1 pre req GPA. I hold a bachelor's degree in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology. I don't quite remember by PCAT score, but it's not required for MCP anyway so they don't even look at it.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, let me know!

1) Everything that you need to know is from the powerpoint or hand outs provided by the professors. It is your job to ensure that you take adequate notes during class because what ever is on the powerpoint and what ever is expressed verbally by the professor is fair game for the exam. I've only had to read the textbook for one class, and that's US Healthcare/Public Health. Reading the textbook is a huge requirement for that class, but they are both generally pretty easy reads.
2) From what I understand, MCPHS does in fact offer a nuclear pharmacy rotation that you can participate in in your P3 year. You'd have to check with a faculty member but I'm pretty sure I've heard mention of that as a rotation.
3) You'd have to ask someone in the financial aid office about this one because I hold a bachelor's degree so I'm not quite sure.
4) I'm not sure about the Boston/Worcester area, but my pharmacist at my job in NY is an MCP grad and she found a job quite easily. It all depends on the need for pharmacists in the area at the time that you graduate, so you'd have to wait until then to get a better idea about potential jobs in the area. But seeing as you're trying to potentially specialize in nuclear pharmacy, that's something you'd have to wait and see once your graduation is approaching.
5) As for admission stats: I had a 3.5 cumulative GPA, a 3.1 pre req GPA. I hold a bachelor's degree in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology. I don't quite remember by PCAT score, but it's not required for MCP anyway so they don't even look at it.

This was awesome! Thanks kjbeat

Glad to hear that you are doing well in the program. I graduated with the same major and very similar GPA so I hope to do well in the program too =D. Thank you to all the P1 students for posting!

Anything to add, kjbeat?
Hi, I just received my acceptance letter and really excited. I wanted to ask you if you knew the best way to find roommates if you were planning on living off campus. Are there any housing off campus you would suggest or near the school? thanks

Hi, I just received my acceptance letter and really excited. I wanted to ask you if you knew the best way to find roommates if you were planning on living off campus. Are there any housing off campus you would suggest or near the school? thanks
I would recommend posting in this forum and asking about people who are interested in living off campus. The place that I know that a lot of students live in off campus is called SkyMark Towers. I'm not sure about prices, you'd have to infer with them.

Congrats on your acceptance! It is exciting and one of the most challenging things you'll ever do. Welcome! I'd def ask in these forums, that's you're best bet this early on. You can also seek a roommate on Craig's List, of course. There are many buildings near campus - one of the most popular is the Skymark Tower. It's about a 8-9 minute walk to campus. There is also the Park Plaza which is a 5 min walk. The school has recently opened many apartment like options that give you the off campus feel you want but with the security of knowing you are with a fellow student not a stranger. You will receive plenty of info about the options in the spring!
Congrats again and we'll see you in the Fall!

1) How is the school like in terms of extracurricular involvement, frats, etc? Does this school push for leadership/involvement?

2) The faculty in my interview said 90% of graduates end up in retail. Is that true or did I hear the wrong number?

1) How is the school like in terms of extracurricular involvement, frats, etc? Does this school push for leadership/involvement?

2) The faculty in my interview said 90% of graduates end up in retail. Is that true or did I hear the wrong number?
There are plenty of opportunities to be involved in clubs but there are no frats except Rho Chi, which is really an honor society of sorts (invitation only based on exceptional GPA). Leadership is a must in a competitive job market, so get involved.
I would say the 90% number is probably close, but many are considering residencies to go into Clinical or Industry as well. It's personal preference really.

Why is it 90%? It seems like a high percentage to me. I'm interested in doing clinical but I don't know if I should be concerned if 90% of students end up in retail. Is there a reason for that? Is there not enough opportunities to get into clinical?

Why is it 90%? It seems like a high percentage to me. I'm interested in doing clinical but I don't know if I should be concerned if 90% of students end up in retail. Is there a reason for that? Is there not enough opportunities to get into clinical?
It's simply one of the more popular routes for a number of reasons, including no extra schooling and more money initially. For the clinical side, you have to do a minimum of PGY1, and most will do a PGY2 with a concentration. So that's two more years of "school" - you will be paid a salary while you do your residencies, but its a menial sum. Each year of residency is the equivalent of 3 years on the job, so you can see why there is such a benefit to doing them if you want to be a clinical pharmacist. There are typically fewer clinical pharmacists on staff at hospitals, so it can be competitive. Don't worry about the job trends - we have a lot of elderly people coming of age for Medicare and the ACA just made a lot more people have health coverage. Pharmacist responsibility is growing also, what with the ability to do immunizations and the like. Pharmacy as a profession will be fine! Choose what interests you.

It's simply one of the more popular routes for a number of reasons, including no extra schooling and more money initially. For the clinical side, you have to do a minimum of PGY1, and most will do a PGY2 with a concentration. So that's two more years of "school" - you will be paid a salary while you do your residencies, but its a menial sum. Each year of residency is the equivalent of 3 years on the job, so you can see why there is such a benefit to doing them if you want to be a clinical pharmacist. There are typically fewer clinical pharmacists on staff at hospitals, so it can be competitive. Don't worry about the job trends - we have a lot of elderly people coming of age for Medicare and the ACA just made a lot more people have health coverage. Pharmacist responsibility is growing also, what with the ability to do immunizations and the like. Pharmacy as a profession will be fine! Choose what interests you.

Thank you so much for the help! That kind of makes me feel better haha. I don't really want to go into retail so as long as there are still a good amount of opportunities to set myself towards the clinical route then I will be happy. What is your advice for an mcp student interested in the clinical field? From other schools, I hear a lot about joining frats because it helps with networking and stuff. I am also from the west coast so I am not familiar with the area.

Thank you so much for the help! That kind of makes me feel better haha. I don't really want to go into retail so as long as there are still a good amount of opportunities to set myself towards the clinical route then I will be happy. What is your advice for an mcp student interested in the clinical field? From other schools, I hear a lot about joining frats because it helps with networking and stuff. I am also from the west coast so I am not familiar with the area.
No problem! Glad to help. As far as pharmacy in general, it seems as though its a small world, so any connections you can make through clubs/frats will be advantageous. There is an organization on campus specifically for Clinicians, so I'd probably start there. The other thing I will add is that when it comes time for rotations, try to get some with faculty members if the opportunity is offered - they will be invaluable recommendation writers when you need them in the future. Many of our professors actually work at hospitals, labs and community pharmacies that act as preceptors at rotation sites. With a glowing letter from a professor, you'll have a leg up on someone who doesn't necessarily have the same.

Just received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday when I got home from work! Good luck to you all and I would like to thank Pharmacopeia516, kjbeat and Tru3cn for helping me out with any questions that I had! Thank you guys!!!! :)

I got my interview on Jan 21st , I am from Southern Cal. :) , excited to come to east coast

Just received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday when I got home from work! Good luck to you all and I would like to thank Pharmacopeia516, kjbeat and Tru3cn for helping me out with any questions that I had! Thank you guys!!!! :)
Congrats, girl! Told you it would all work out! Best of luck. Any questions moving forward I'm happy to help.

hey, so I received an interview invite from MCPHS-worcester on Monday. I called in two days later, today at 2:40pm, pacific time and kate was not available...Should I just call back again tomorrow morning? Thanks. I left sort of an awkward voicemail message for her because I wasn't sure what action to take.

hey, so I received an interview invite from MCPHS-worcester on Monday. I called in two days later, today at 2:40pm, pacific time and kate was not available...Should I just call back again tomorrow morning? Thanks. I left sort of an awkward voicemail message for her because I wasn't sure what action to take.

Yes, you should definitely try calling in the morning or before 12pm est time. Good luck! :)

Hey guys, Since Im coming from LA to east coast, where is the closest airport to the Worcester school, or what is the best way to get there ? thank you :)

Hey guys, Since Im coming from LA to east coast, where is the closest airport to the Worcester school, or what is the best way to get there ? thank you :)
I think there's an airport in Worcester, but from where I came (Norcal), there was only flight to Boston's airport, which was about 1 hour away from the campus. I just stayed at a cheap Hotwire deal hotel near Boston and rented a car to campus. Car rental was about $70ish and the hotel was $60ish for 2 nights. If you can find good deals around hotwire and travelocity, it's not bad :)

I think there's an airport in Worcester, but from where I came (Norcal), there was only flight to Boston's airport, which was about 1 hour away from the campus. I just stayed at a cheap Hotwire deal hotel near Boston and rented a car to campus. Car rental was about $70ish and the hotel was $60ish for 2 nights. If you can find good deals around hotwire and travelocity, it's not bad :)
thanks bro for info, wow 70ish for car, I can get that for 8$ in LA, how was your interview did you get in ? any info is helpful

thanks bro for info, wow 70ish for car, I can get that for 8$ in LA, how was your interview did you get in ? any info is helpful
The essay was so fun. They have so many fun and creative topics so that was super easy. As for the interview, it was one-on-one with a faculty (the same one that will give you the tour). It's super casual. The questions are pretty typical: why pharmacy, why mcphs, nothing too hard. They do have your files on hands so they can ask anything specific about your grade, extracurricular, etc. Like my interviewer asked me to explain what I do in one of the organizations I was in :)
It's a really relaxed interview day imo. The only thing you're going to stress over probably is how to get to their campus LOL. Goodluck! Let me know how it goes :D

Does anyone know about how lenient they are with the deposit extension? I have an interview scheduled for January at Touro and would like to check out that school first before placing my deposit for MCPHS. Thanks in advance!

Is there any leniency for prerequisite grades?
What if I got a C- in CHEM 01 and then went on to get A's and B's in Chem 2 and the Orgo's? Is there any way they could look past this?
If not, can I still apply this cycle with the intention of retaking CHEM 01 during the summer before school starts?

Does anyone know about how lenient they are with the deposit extension? I have an interview scheduled for January at Touro and would like to check out that school first before placing my deposit for MCPHS. Thanks in advance!
Hey! They are not lenient at all, from what I understand. You have 30 days to get it in to them, so I would wait as long as possible if you're unsure if you're going to go. You will lose it if you decide not to go. That's pretty common.

Is there any leniency for prerequisite grades?
What if I got a C- in CHEM 01 and then went on to get A's and B's in Chem 2 and the Orgo's? Is there any way they could look past this?
If not, can I still apply this cycle with the intention of retaking CHEM 01 during the summer before school starts?
Yes, of course! I'm a current P1. They don't expect anyone to be perfect. They will be much more interested in seeing your progress since the stumble. Definitely apply - this will not affect you that much. Best of luck!

I sent in my deposit on the Dec 12th and didnt hear back if they received it. I tried calling but the school is closed till Jan. 6th but my deposit deadline is Jan. 3th. Does anyone know if they will go by the postmark date? I am kinf of worried I'll lose my seat

I will be interviewing in a week. Any suggestions or advices?

I sent in my deposit on the Dec 12th and didnt hear back if they received it. I tried calling but the school is closed till Jan. 6th but my deposit deadline is Jan. 3th. Does anyone know if they will go by the postmark date? I am kinf of worried I'll lose my seat
Hi! I had the same issue last year when I sent mine in. They will not give you any notification that they have received your deposit. As a matter of fact, I sent mine in early November and used a credit card. My card was never charged. I finally got a hold of them in late January and they had used the wrong numbers to enter the deposit. I didn't lose my seat after all that time. I'm sure you're ok. Just call after the break to make sure. Good luck in the fall...you're going to love it.

I will be interviewing in a week. Any suggestions or advices?
Definitely read back through this thread. A lot of info was already posted about interviews. I will also send you a brief reply to someone else that asked me in a private message. Good luck.

Hi guys,

I am looking to apply to Pharmacy school for fall of 2014 (just made my decision that I really want to do Pharmacy School), but I know realistically its a bit too late, so might have to wait until 2015. After reading through the thread, kind of discouraged with my GPA.

Stats:
B.S. Biochemistry
GPA: ~3.42
M.S. Biochemistry (in my last semester)
GPA (currently): 3.61
Volunteer: I have 50 hours of volunteer work at a hospital pharmacy.
Experience: Have a lot of research experience (kind of tired of research now, really want to interact with people and help!!)

Do you guys think my masters degree will help me get into MCPHS? I was looking around schools, and really like MCPHS (especially the accelerated program). Is it too late apply? What are my chances?

Thank You in advance everyone!

Hi guys,

I am looking to apply to Pharmacy school for fall of 2014 (just made my decision that I really want to do Pharmacy School), but I know realistically its a bit too late, so might have to wait until 2015. After reading through the thread, kind of discouraged with my GPA.

Stats:
B.S. Biochemistry
GPA: ~3.42
M.S. Biochemistry (in my last semester)
GPA (currently): 3.61
Volunteer: I have 50 hours of volunteer work at a hospital pharmacy.
Experience: Have a lot of research experience (kind of tired of research now, really want to interact with people and help!!)

Do you guys think my masters degree will help me get into MCPHS? I was looking around schools, and really like MCPHS (especially the accelerated program). Is it too late apply? What are my chances?

Thank You in advance everyone!

I think that you're GPA and admissions stats are fine, I definitely wouldn't worry about those. I think you still have time to apply, just check the deadline on PharmCAS. And when applying through PharmCAS, make sure you only apply to the MCPHS-Worcester campus and not the Boston one. I'm pretty sure the deadline is either February 1st or March 1st. Good luck!

Got my interview invite today and it's next week. What kind of essay questions do they ask? Please reply ! Thank you

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

Got my interview invite today and it's next week. What kind of essay questions do they ask? Please reply ! Thank you

The essay questions are really general and evaluate you on a moral level. Nothing science or history related or anything like that. For example my question was: do you agree with trophy's being awarded to children just for participating and not for actually winning?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

The essay questions are really general and evaluate you on a moral level. Nothing science or history related or anything like that. For example my question was: do you agree with trophy's being awarded to children just for participating and not for actually winning?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks a lot kjbeat