MCW e mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bb88 said:
Definitley... Mike Itswan is a G
Came and talked at my school. Laid it out so we could play it out. He made no bones about anything.

MCW has not offered an interview to anyone who was complete after August 18th, and they usually send out 325 offers (for 204 seats), and the waiting list holds about 230. A few years ago, they went through the entire waitlist, and last year they went through about 80. I took a lot of notes about a lot of other things. I was surprised to hear him say that they value the WS as much as any other MCAT section.

Members don't see this ad.

TheProwler said:
Came and talked at my school. Laid it out so we could play it out. He made no bones about anything.

MCW has not offered an interview to anyone who was complete after August 18th, and they usually send out 325 offers (for 204 seats), and the waiting list holds about 230. A few years ago, they went through the entire waitlist, and last year they went through about 80. I took a lot of notes about a lot of other things. I was surprised to hear him say that they value the WS as much as any other MCAT section.
I am very convinced then that "completion" is either AMCAS verification date or the MCW certification date (secondary/fee sent in, but not LORs).

YzIa said:
I am very convinced then that "completion" is either AMCAS verification date or the MCW certification date (secondary/fee sent in, but not LORs).

the email said the invites will be prioritized based on completion date *and* academic accomplishments...

Members don't see this ad :)
TheProwler said:
He said to my face that last Friday morning (11am CST, I think) he sent out an e-mail to 1800 students.

so essentially, the medical college of wisconsin desires to interview exactly half of their ~3694 total applicants. Although I understand an interview is not guaranteed for the folks on distribution, I just can't fathom how half of the apps made it to the interview pool.

My application was complete AFTER August at MCW, and I scheduled my interview for January 7th. I scheduled this ~2 weeks ago. Their invite came just days after my UW Madison (interviewing there on Nov. 29th), so I wanted to be able to schedule my MCW around that time too -- I live on the west coast, and flights aren't cheap! Unfortunately, all slots were full... with first available being January 7th. They only interview on Fridays, so I believe the next available was January 14th.

So, I'm not sure what kind of info is flying around... ONLY the adcom knows, right.. we can only speculate! ... But any way, I do agree that Michael Itswan is awesome!

YzIa said:
He had been using complete all night to mean EVERYTHING. There may have been a misunderstanding, but I thought he meant truly complete.

derf - I'm pretty sure that they're not going to interview quite that many people, and it's a whole lot more than 3600 applicants. They're expecting it to total over 6000 this year. Anyways, they'll interview at least 600 to fill the acceptances and the waitlist. Double it to 1200 and that sounds believable.

TheProwler said:
He had been using complete all night to mean EVERYTHING. There may have been a misunderstanding, but I thought he meant truly complete.

derf - I'm pretty sure that they're not going to interview quite that many people, and it's a whole lot more than 3600 applicants. They're expecting it to total over 6000 this year. Anyways, they'll interview at least 600 to fill the acceptances and the waitlist. Double it to 1200 and that sounds believable.

US news said that they interviewed 579 people and gave out 422 acceptances to fil their class of 205 last year.

Code Brown said:
US news said that they interviewed 579 people and gave out 422 acceptances to fil their class of 205 last year.
are you looking at it right now? because I'm pretty sure you're wrong somewhere in there. Like I said, 325 acceptances and 280 on the waitlist, he said.

for a more complete look... here it is

this is the latest $hit from USnews (2005):

Applied / Interviewed / Accepted / Enrolled
Total: 3,694 579 422 205
In-state: 493 206 159 99
Out-of-state: 3,201 373 263 106
Women: 1,663 253 192 95
Minorities: N/A N/A N/A N/A
International: 102 8 3 2

alumafly said:
for a more complete look... here it is

this is the latest $hit from USnews (2005):

Applied / Interviewed / Accepted / Enrolled
Total: 3,694 579 422 205
In-state: 493 206 159 99
Out-of-state: 3,201 373 263 106
Women: 1,663 253 192 95
Minorities: N/A N/A N/A N/A
International: 102 8 3 2

I'm not sure if those are the numbers for the 2004 entering class, mainly because MCW took much more out of state students (120+) than in previous years.