This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camtheram1815

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got some time to kill at work, so why not? Just hoping to get some insights about a potentially tough decision I'll have to make come May.

I have an interest in neurosurgery so I've somewhat factored that in to help me decide. Priorities are cost of attendance, overall student happiness/feel on interview day, and research opportunities. I honestly think I'd be happy at any of these schools based on interview days, really, I liked all of them a lot.

MCW
Pros
-Excellent facilities
-Huge academic center
-Curriculum has cool pathways, seemed interesting
-Students were very friendly, happy, etc... Similar to Creighton
-Lots of research opportunities
-Home neurosurgery residency program/programs in virtually every specialty
-Slightly cheaper

Cons
-I think I remember a few changes being introduced to curriculum, could be some transition kinks?
-No MD/MBA program
-Cost of living estimates for loans were lower ($1300 a month?), seemed like it'd be a bit of a squeeze financially
Can't think of too many others off the type of my head right now.

Rochester
Pros
-Excellent reputation, may open more doors
-Huge academic center
-Seemed very collegial, happy, and friendly etc... Again similar to what I'm looking for
-TONS of research opportunities
-Home neurosurgery residency program/programs in virtually every specialty
-Curriculum very well established
-Slightly cheaper

Cons
-No recorded lectures. Not sure how I feel about that
-MD/MBA program requires first year in the MBA program. If that were the case I wouldn't do it, and perhaps would wait until residency or beyond.
-Upstate NY may be like living North of the Wall in Game of Thrones (ha).
Can't think of much more off the top of my head.

Any thoughts? I know it's definitely premature, especially since I wasn't accepted to MCW or Rochester outright. But I'm thinking about this now in case I have to make a quicker decision after April 30.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the WL movement like at MCW and Rochester? It seems to me like if you get off the WL at one but not the other, you should go there over Creighton (as long as you're okay with hopping in blind and not knowing financial aid info). If you get off the WL at both MCW and Rochester, definitely drop Creighton. The rest may come down to location, as the two schools seem pretty equivalent otherwise. Good luck!

What is the WL movement like at MCW and Rochester? It seems to me like if you get off the WL at one but not the other, you should go there over Creighton (as long as you're okay with hopping in blind and not knowing financial aid info). If you get off the WL at both MCW and Rochester, definitely drop Creighton. The rest may come down to location, as the two schools seem pretty equivalent otherwise. Good luck!
Thanks for the response!

Tough to say about WL movement at either school. I've heard Rochester the last couple years has not been great, and I have no clue about MCW. I think you're right though. If I were to get in at MCW or Rochester, I would probably take that in favor of Creighton, just based off of the fact that it's cheaper and there are more research opportunities, even though I do really like Creighton.

Now between MCW or Rochester, eesh, that would be tough for me. Any thoughts on that decision?

Just with what you've said, Rochester looks to have a very slight edge (If you're okay with the weather lol). Do you know which gives better financial aid overall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just with what you've said, Rochester looks to have a very slight edge (If you're okay with the weather lol). Do you know which gives better financial aid overall?
Again, tough to stay. Considering all of these are private schools, I'm anticipating taking on significant debt, and I'm not sure I'm the caliber of applicant to receive significant scholarship offers/aid packages outside of loans. Of course, if I were offered any type of aid, that would change things quite a bit.

It will be an interesting decision, no doubt, if the time comes. If I'm being totally honest, I'd give Rochester the edge right now, as you said.

Thanks for the response! Care to elaborate? I liked MCW a lot, no doubt!
I'm pretty sure I'll be going to MCW, and getting the opportunity to meet me is a rare privilege, essentially priceless.

Haha jokes aside, MCW has amazing facilities/resources, great location, and the cost will likely be the lowest. The cost of living in Milwaukee is about an 84 if the national average is 100.

Reactions: 1 user