MD (Family Med) vs Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. I'm an undergrad and I definitely want to go into medicine. I love the science behind human health as well as the social science/public health aspects. I've shadowed a GP and a pediatrician and I really could see myself in that role, possibly even doing something like adolescent medicine with high risk youth. However, given the increasing scope of Family Nurse Practitioners, is there really any difference between going through a ton of schooling and getting an MD to be a family doctor vs. a shorter education to be an independent Family NP? I'm pretty sure I want to go MD because of the flexibility (who knows, maybe I'll find a specialty that I love that I haven't even considered), but want to hear other people's thoughts.


Yes. However, do you want to be a doctor or an NP?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Classic, someone tries to incite a 10 page debate, fails, and never bothers to respond, that total lack of effort will qualify you for NP school.
 
And now he deletes his post in shame, but that won't change history. SDN, I am proud of you today.

upload_2016-7-14_18-47-6.png