MD/PhD: multiple red flags dating 5+ years. Reapplicant. Please read and advise. Thank you!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deez_md

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the length, but the text is important to supplement my questions below. For those reading, thank you for your time.

I am planning on reapplying this coming cycle as an MD/PhD (I applied for 2015 entry as MD). Reason for my rejections I found out through my interview process, were my institutional actions.

Below I will give you my stats profile and red flag profile. Here I would like to say that my time since rejection was a blessing in disguise, because it gave me time to explore other alternatives, and really make sure this was what I wanted to commit to (In the interim, I worked for a biotech company, took more classes, started a nonprofit, did more shadowing, and learned 3D printing). In this time I learned that I am interested in research informing my (hopefully) practice of medicine, and want to pursue this path.

Without further adieu, my current stats profile:
GPA: 3.54 (upward trend from 3.0-4.0), B.A. Neuroscience, top 10 Liberal Arts college
MCAT: 33 (11,11,11); expires after this cycle
Notable EC stuff: 4 publications, 5 years (4000+ hrs) research experience, 100+ hrs clinical experience/shadowing (free clinic, hospital, international), 100+ hrs volunteering (nonprofit work, sports with kids with mental disabilities, and free clinic), captain of DIII soccer program (with numerous awards), and recipient of $100k social humanitarian prize.
LORs: could not be more fortunate. I have had great mentors and role models, including 1 Nobel Prize winner.

my prior (2014-2015 cycle) stats profile:
GPA: 3.46 (upward trend from 3.0-3.8), B.A. Neuroscience, top 10 Liberal Arts college
MCAT: 33 (11,11,11); taken April 2014
Notable EC stuff: 1 publication, 3 years (2000+ hrs) research experience, 60+ hrs shadowing (free clinic, hospital, international), 100+ hrs volunteering (sports with kids with mental disabilities, and free clinic), captain of DIII soccer program (with numerous awards).
LORs: Could not be more fortunate. I have had great mentors and role models who wrote me spectacular recs.

Now for the huge red flag:
I have 6 "institutional actions". I know, sounds awful, and there is no way to wash myself of them. The best I have is a letter from my college administration saying that I am in good academic and disciplinary standing with the school, and that they endorse my application.

That all said, it is now 5 years after my latest warning. It took me a bit to adjust to the freedoms and responsibilities of college life and subsequently, acknowledging wrongdoing, even if only by witness. For that I am deeply regretful.

Context on the warnings:
My college gives students a warning if they are present at the site of an action that is not in line with the school policies. I received the majority of my violations due to presence, and that is why they are warnings, with no consequence beyond notification of receiving a warnings.

The warnings (w/dates):
10/2010, 2/2011, 11/2011, 12/2011, 2/2012, 12/2012 12/2012

2 were fire safety: soccer bag in the hallway and non-regulation extension cord.
1 was presence at an unregistered party.
1 was for alcohol possession under the age of 21. I am now about to turn 26, and would now never jeopardize my future by doing anything illegal.
1 was for the co-possession of substance. There was marijuana found in the dorm room I shared with my roommate. Like above, I would now never jeopardize my future by doing anything illegal. The reason for this not being a probation or anything more severe is because it was not being smoked. It was my roommate's, but I have been urged not to bring that up as it shows a lack of responsibility.
1 was for harassment. I received this warning because I volunteered myself as a witness to a harassment event that took place on campus. Due to my presence, the disciplinary panel found me guilty of harassment as well. It was unfortunate, as I could not have stopped the incident in question, and I merely stepped forward to protect another student from suspension because I knew he was innocent. I urged the individuals that I knew were present to be responsible for their actions, but unfortunately none stepped forward. My role as an uninvolved party was corroborated by all other accounts.

How I have sought to address my acknowledgement of responsibility and personal growth:
Since the summer of 2015, I have been working with a 17-year-old from the Bronx named Bibi, who does not understand the repercussions of his actions, but wants to be the first in his family to go to college. I was the second in my family, and it was a proud day when I was accepted. His position was more severe than mine, as he trafficked various drugs, was involved with a Bronx gang, and was a marijuana and cigarette addict. Since starting to work with him, he has obtained a job, finished his SATS, and is no longer smoking. Leaving the gang is difficult – after trying, they beat him so badly he has ended up in the ER, missing school and work. These are part of the unfortunate repercussions for him, which it pains me to be unable to protect him from.
He recently was accepted to college, and I hope that he can use that as a way to leave his neighborhood and gain some level of safety. Regardless, my advice about my past seems to have resonated with him on some level, as he is set to pursue a college degree and become a legitimate businessman.

Questions:
1) I have followed the advice of a director of admissions I was fortunate to speak with and separated myself from the warnings as much as I could before my MCAT expires. Her advice was for MD programs. Are my chances worse/better for MD/PhD?

2) I only have 1325 characters to address and take responsibility for my IAs. Is my tone appropriate above? Should I discuss this at all in my PS?

3) I am planning on applying the first day the application opens and be diligent with secondaries. Do you have any other advice for my situation? Should I be reaching out to admissions now to inform them of my IAs/application?

Thanks again those reading, your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
deez_md

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Goro,

Good point re: learning from mistakes. I was not aware these were institutional actions at the time (warnings were met with an email saying you were issued a warning. There were no panels, no probations, no indications this was a lasting infraction until I was ready to apply). The error of repetition is because I was unaware and uninformed of the severity of a warning if I wanted to go to graduate school - essentially I never even appealed these or was cautious about getting them because I did not know they were anything significant. It's really disheartening to hear I have that kind of 'record' on SDN... especially coming from a long-time contributor like yourself.

As I said above, these are 3.5-6 year old violations. Also please note their context. Is the context not important? It seems from your response that it does not really matter why I received them, but it was a mistake on my end to receive them regardless of the circumstances. Which is true it was my mistake to receive them regardless of the circumstances. I thought including the circumstances might help, so I included. Please let me know if I should just get rid of them.

I am very very painfully regretful, and wish I could do something (I have looked into just about everything) now that I know. Unfortunately I cannot, and I am trying to address learning from them by helping someone else not make those same mistakes to a much greater extent with the high school student I mentor, mentioned above. Is that inadequate? Is there any way to show that I have learned from these mistakes?

I was not that worried about my MCAT... Thanks for pointing that out though. I don't want to retake, but will definitely if it is something to worry about. I was practice testing at 32-36, so scored at my lower range.

Thanks for your time Goro. I want to sort out my ducks before the process starts and be as realistic as possible.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I looked more carefully at your OP and one glaring weakness is a lack of patient contact volunteering. Other than shadowing, have you set foot in a clinic or hospital? Am I missing something???

I looked more carefully at your OP and one glaring weakness is a lack of patient contact volunteering. Other than shadowing, have you set foot in a clinic or hospital? Am I missing something???

Yes, I have worked in a free clinic in the Bronx for the past 2 years (100+ hrs). I do patient intake (HR, BP, Hgt, Wgt, complaints), take history (personal, familial), schedule follow-up appointments, and train new volunteers how to do the above.

I will edit that text from shadowing to clinical experience.

OK, I think that if you apply broadly and target schools whose median stas are closest to your own, you should get some love this year.
Invest in MSAR Online and pay special attention to the Acceptance Information pages.

Yes, I have worked in a free clinic in the Bronx for the past 2 years (100+ hrs). I do patient intake (HR, BP, Hgt, Wgt, complaints), take history (personal, familial), schedule follow-up appointments, and train new volunteers.

OK, I think that if you apply broadly and target schools whose median stas are closest to your own, you should get some love this year.
Invest in MSAR Online and pay special attention to the Acceptance Information pages.

Thanks for the advice Goro. Much appreciated. I have MSAR and have been compiling a list. Sorry for the stupid question I am about to ask: "special attention to Acceptance information pages" - this tells me the amount of MD/PhD accepted from the matriculant pool of MD and MD/PhD. What should I be concerned about there? something else?

Essentially, why is that page so important for me? What part should I be paying attention to? Why?

Again, thanks for the advice.

Also, "if you apply broadly..." you are referring to MD/PhD programs? I hope so!

I am asking for clarification because of question #1 in my OP.

Am I missing something here?

6 IAs
Below average GPA and MCAT and not slightly either

I dunno. Good luck mate.

I can't recommend MD/PhD. These people usually have Stanford caliber stats.

the Acceptance Info pages tells you what % of OOS applicants get into schools in other states. I always bring it up when people consider state schools. Most state schools favor the home team, so I don't want you wasting money applying to U KS or Central MI when they barely take anyone from OOS.

Thanks for the advice Goro. Much appreciated. I have MSAR and have been compiling a list. Sorry for the stupid question I am about to ask: "special attention to Acceptance information pages" - this tells me the amount of MD/PhD accepted from the matriculant pool of MD and MD/PhD. What should I be concerned about there? something else?

Essentially, why is that page so important for me? What part should I be paying attention to? Why?

Again, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you certain those are all really IAs? Even if you didn't receive an email or go to a meeting or anything?

MD/PhD is very unlikely with your stats, IAs aside. Try for it, but your odds would be much better just applying straight MD.

I am planning on reapplying this coming cycle as an MD/PhD (I applied for 2015 entry as MD). Reason for my rejections I found out through my interview process, were my institutional actions.

Now for the huge red flag:

The warnings (w/dates):
10/2010, 2/2011, 11/2011, 12/2011, 2/2012, 12/2012 12/2012

1 was for harassment. I received this warning because I volunteered myself as a witness to a harassment event that took place on campus. Due to my presence, the disciplinary panel found me guilty of harassment as well. It was unfortunate, as I could not have stopped the incident in question, and I merely stepped forward to protect another student from suspension because I knew he was innocent. I urged the individuals that I knew were present to be responsible for their actions, but unfortunately none stepped forward. My role as an uninvolved party was corroborated by all other accounts.

I cut and copied what I think the most relevant things are here in particular the bold

1) So it sounds like you are a reapplicant, to where all? A reapplicant with these red flags is already behind the eight ball to some extent

2) What exactly do you mean the "IA's were the reason for my rejections?" Dont have to share this all publicly but what was said specifically matters. If the IA's were already a big enough issue you for all schools to say "no thanks" and you know specifically it was the issue then that is a concern. If they said something along the lines of "You just need more time between your IAs to show youve changed" that's also something to consider and perhaps a bit more optimistic news. The details of what they said and as importantly perhaps what didnt say matter.

3) It sounds like the most recent IA you had in 12/2012 was about 1.5 years before you submitted your app. I can see how that length of time might not have been enough for schools to want to bite. Now there will be a 3.5 year gap. Will that be enough? No way of saying. But it is worth noting that when you previously applied if what you are saying is true then the IAs were enough to single handedly not give you an acceptance. You cant deny the possibility that might be true again, even with more of a time gap. This is even more true if you are going to be a reapplicant at many schools who are going to be less likely to show interest in taking a chance on someone like this.

4) The details of the harrasment IA are relevant as well. If it's not clear you were simply a witness or it gives off the impression you were more than just a bystander like you have portrayed, that also matters as well. Hard to know what to make of any of this over an online anonymous forum.

As for MD vs MD/PhD specifics by and large what youve been told on here is true. The average MD/PhD matriculant has a 3.8/35. You arent in that ball park statistically. The average MD/PhD applicant who gets rejected from EVERY program they apply to has around a 3.7/32 to provide perspective.

In particular MD/PhD programs are especially risk averse because they are often paying for you to attend. So no, to answer your question, your odds arent better at an MD/PhD program than an MD. Truly gauging your MD odds is rather difficult, especially over an anonymous forum where there is no way assess many key pieces of information that will be important here. But applying broadly and to schools you arent a reapplicant at is your best bet. You can include some MD/PhD programs if you like, but that is not where your odds will be best at.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got it, thank you again Goro. Very helpful.

Are you certain those are all really IAs? Even if you didn't receive an email or go to a meeting or anything?
Yes, I was very disturbed when I found out, and no meetings. I did receive emails for some but not all and those emails did not indicate that these would stay on my record as a disciplinary measure

As Grapes kind of indicated, this story is not adding up. Did you disclose these on your last AMCAS or not? At one point did you find out about these?

You need to publish the name of a Top 10 Liberal Arts College that hands out institutional actions like those. That's a school SDNers need to avoid like the plague.

I cut and copied what I think the most relevant things are here in particular the bold

1) So it sounds like you are a reapplicant, to where all? A reapplicant with these red flags is already behind the eight ball to some extent

2) What exactly do you mean the "IA's were the reason for my rejections?" Dont have to share this all publicly but what was said specifically matters. If the IA's were already a big enough issue you for all schools to say "no thanks" and you know specifically it was the issue then that is a concern. If they said something along the lines of "You just need more time between your IAs to show youve changed" that's also something to consider and perhaps a bit more optimistic news. The details of what they said and as importantly perhaps what didnt say matter.

3) It sounds like the most recent IA you had in 12/2012 was about 1.5 years before you submitted your app. I can see how that length of time might not have been enough for schools to want to bite. Now there will be a 3.5 year gap. Will that be enough? No way of saying. But it is worth noting that when you previously applied if what you are saying is true then the IAs were enough to single handedly not give you an acceptance. You cant deny the possibility that might be true again, even with more of a time gap. This is even more true if you are going to be a reapplicant at many schools who are going to be less likely to show interest in taking a chance on someone like this.

4) The details of the harrasment IA are relevant as well. If it's not clear you were simply a witness or it gives off the impression you were more than just a bystander like you have portrayed, that also matters as well. Hard to know what to make of any of this over an online anonymous forum.

As for MD vs MD/PhD specifics by and large what youve been told on here is true. The average MD/PhD matriculant has a 3.8/35. You arent in that ball park statistically. The average MD/PhD applicant who gets rejected from EVERY program they apply to has around a 3.7/32 to provide perspective.

In particular MD/PhD programs are especially risk averse because they are often paying for you to attend. So no, to answer your question, your odds arent better at an MD/PhD program than an MD. Truly gauging your MD odds is rather difficult, especially over an anonymous forum where there is no way assess many key pieces of information that will be important here. But applying broadly and to schools you arent a reapplicant at is your best bet. You can include some MD/PhD programs if you like, but clearly that is not where your odds will be best at.

Hi GrapesofRath,

1) Yes I am a reapplicant, I applied to about 30 schools MD last time around. I was recommended to apply MD/PhD because I had strong research + multiple publications and there is more room to provide the necessary context of my IAs... indeed the stats do not favor me. Not going to name my undergrad, but the Prehealth office is not particularly helpful.

2) After getting a bunch of rejections last time around, I reached out to admissions of the programs I was really interested in / target schools (Wake, Rush, Rochester) and the ones where I interviewed (SKMC, Drexel - yes, shockingly I got interviews). In the interviews is where I got hit over the head with the IAs, it was basically all we talked about. So that was my first indication of their severity, at which point it is already far far too late. Some responded to my emails, and none said it was a stats issue (I think my ECs compensate or I am close enough to the median). Most notably (and surprisingly) a director of admissions at one school offered to speak with me over multiple phone calls - what was specifically said was you need more time separating you and the IAs, take the next cycle off (which I did) and: take classes to show you can continue your academic upward trend (I have, 4.0 in all upper level science classes), continue the work you are doing on your grant (I have, and it has been rather successful and medically related), and involve yourself with something to address your missteps (I have, mentoring/being a role model for the gang-related highschooler that wants to go to college).

3) I know, I am not denying the fact that these are very potential grounds for rejection. Would approaching medical schools prior to application be smart? (i.e. sending admissions an email regarding my app, my I want to go to the school, their advise, etc?)

I am hoping my activity to address my personal growth will be noted, the increased time gap, and changing my language to acknowledge the events in a more accountable way (do I sound like I am being mature about this? If not how would you recommend I change my tone? This is really important and I want to make sure I don't sound like I don't recognize/ have grown from my mistakes). Also, 5/6 of the IAs are truly just by presence and I hope I have done some justice to myself by saying that (Or does that not matter because an IA is an IA?)

2 IAs are for a soccer bag and a nonregulation extension cord (12/2012)... not much more to say there
1 IA was for being at an unregistered party (2/2012). Although I was legally allowed to drink, the hosts had not registered their party unbeknownst to me. Wrong place wrong time, but I should have been more cautious.
1 IA was the harassment (the other 12/2012). Very unfortunate situation. I thought, and still think what I did was morally right, both for the victim (urging those responsible to step forward) and the bystander I was protecting.
1 IA was for co-possession of marijuana. Tough position because I can't defer blame to my roommate. It is definitely also my fault because its my room too, and I should have been more aware of the dangers of that.

1 IA was for possession of alcohol. That was my bad, 20th birthday. As I said above, would never do something illegal like that again.

4) What is hard to make of from the online anonymous forum? Please ask for any more information you need. RE: MD vs. MD/PhD, got it. Will only apply to a few dream programs and keep the rest MD.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Much appreciated.

As Grapes kind of indicated, this story is not adding up. Did you disclose these on your last AMCAS or not? At one point did you find out about these?

I did disclose them - found out right before applications when I asked for a committee letter from the school. Was called by the Dean of Students about a week after. I found out from other students that this is how many kids from my college found out about their IAs.

You need to publish the name of a Top 10 Liberal Arts College that hands out institutional actions like those. That's a school SDNers need to avoid like the plague.

Not sure I should DoktorMom. I am still relying on them for my committee letter, administrative letter indicating I am in good academic and disciplinary standing, and their assistance through the process. Its upsetting that it happened, but it did, as many things do. All I can do is do my best to show that these are not representative of my character (through volunteer work, LORs, and most importantly, my IA response in AMCAS).

Noteably - knowing that the IAs were an issue this time around, I have informed many of the people that wrote LORs for me and they have changed their LORs to address my character in that manner. So that is also a difference from last time around.

There are no docs in my family, so I have to rely on the school (and SDN) for advice.

Also, not sure if that is acceptable for this forum? Definitely not trying to get banned.

Last edited:
I can't fathom why a school would operate like this. They are literally sabotaging their own students' careers (well, those that seek further education).

Reactions: 1 users
I can't fathom why a school would operate like this. They are literally sabotaging their own students' careers (well, those that seek further education).

I have had many painful and long conversations with the administration regarding this ChrisMack390. It is their policy and they think its right. I cannot appeal after graduation, I cannot compile them, I cannot expunge them until 7 years after graduation.

All I can do is provide context and hope adcomms feel the way you do.

That is why I am specifically asking if I am doing a good job portraying the context - this is the only place where I can explain my situation. Recall there are only 1325 characters to do that.

top LAC working with a kid from the bronx, maybe_ or _?

piii,
I have been out of college since 2013. I could have gone anywhere in the top 10. Thank you starspells. That is not important.
I am just asking for advice given the unchangeable facts above.

also, congrats on your acceptance (I see class of 2020)! very happy for you.

Last edited:
2 were fire safety: soccer bag in the hallway and non-regulation extension cord.

Cheers,
deez_md

How exactly does that classify as an IA? Are you sure these weren't citations/warnings? IA seems far too extreme for this.

That is ridiculous your school counts the warnings as IAs. I've had friends who've received warnings for similar/minor things (no hearing or anything like that) and they checked with the pre-health office and they were not required to report them as IAs! what the ****

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this bull****!!! But I definitely think you're moving forward in the right direction.

1) what was your sGPA?
2) How many units of postbacc work did you do and what classes were they in?
3) How many hours of clinical experience, nonclinical volunteering and shadowing do you have? (length of time would be helpful as well)

I think from now and till the time you submit these are the parts of your app you could improve (the volunteering/clinical experience).

I think you're certainly taking responsibility for your actions and I hope you get in somewhere this year. Esp with the harassment situation you were clearly doing the morally right thing.

How exactly does that classify as an IA? Are you sure these weren't citations/warnings? IA seems far too extreme for this.

Every single one of my IAs were citations/warnings. My undergrad told me I had to state them in the IA section.

I actually have seen an SDNer with multiple IAs (one was deemed a sexual harassment IA or something but the situation was really not as severe as it sounds) and after a few years off they got multiple interviews and acceptances! I can try to look for the profile for you later if you want to see what schools and stuff he applied to/and got in.

piii,
I have been out of college since 2013. I could have gone anywhere in the top 10. Thank you starspells. That is not important.
I am just asking for advice given the unchangeable facts above.

also, congrats on your acceptance (I see class of 2020)! very happy for you.
thanks, good luck. i deleted my post so you can delete your quote for anonymity

That is ridiculous your school counts the warnings as IAs. I've had friends who've received warnings for similar/minor things (no hearing or anything like that) and they checked with the pre-health office and they were not required to report them as IAs! what the ****

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this bull****!!! But I definitely think you're moving forward in the right direction.

1) what was your sGPA?
2) How many units of postbacc work did you do and what classes were they in?
3) How many hours of clinical experience, nonclinical volunteering and shadowing do you have? (length of time would be helpful as well)

I think from now and till the time you submit these are the parts of your app you could improve (the volunteering/clinical experience).

I think you're certainly taking responsibility for your actions and I hope you get in somewhere this year. Esp with the harassment situation you were clearly doing the morally right thing.

1) need to calc give me a second, should be around 3.45?
2) I did 11.5 units (3 classes), the Director of Admissions I spoke to told me to do 10. Classes were biochem/lab, immunopathogenesis seminar, and biology of cancer seminar. A, A+, A+ respectively. I am not sure I can list as above a 4.0 for those.
3) CE - over 200 hrs, NCV - over 500 hrs, Shadowing - over 200 hrs. Previously had CE - 100 hrs, NCV - 200 hrs, Shadowing - 60hrs

1) need to calc give me a second
2) I did 11.5 units (3 classes), the Director of Admissions I spoke to told me to do 10. Classes were biochem, immunopathogenesis, and biology of cancer. A, A+, A+ respectively. I am not sure I can list as above a 4.0 for those.
3) CE - over 200 hrs, NCV - over 500 hrs, Shadowing - over 200 hrs. Previously had CE - 100 hrs, NCV - 200 hrs, Shadowing - 60hrs

Yeah, A/A+ grades are calculated as a 4.0 but that's really good! The non-academic parts of your application are very strong. I really wish you the best of luck.

Also, thank you all for the help and love. Really appreciate you all sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Its super helpful.

Yeah, A/A+ grades are calculated as a 4.0 but that's really good! The non-academic parts of your application are very strong. I really wish you the best of luck.

Thank you starspells, and yes please PM me with the profile if you can find.

Hi folks, so one thing still unanswered that I would love input on.

Question:
Would approaching medical schools prior to application be smart? (i.e. sending admissions an email regarding my app (IAs and such),why I want to go to the school, their advise, etc?) Should I be reaching out to admissions now to inform them of my IAs/application?

Hi GrapesofRath,

1) Yes I am a reapplicant, I applied to about 30 schools MD last time around. You can list the schools you applied to previously if you want input on this.

2) In the interviews is where I got hit over the head with the IAs, it was basically all we talked about.Some responded to my emails, and none said it was a stats issue (I think my ECs compensate or I am close enough to the median).

3) Most notably (and surprisingly) a director of admissions at one school offered to speak with me over multiple phone calls - what was specifically said was you need more time separating you and the IAs, take the next cycle off (which I did) and: take classes to show you can continue your academic upward trend (I have, 4.0 in all upper level science classes), continue the work you are doing on your grant (I have, and it has been rather successful and medically related), and involve yourself with something to address your missteps (I have, mentoring/being a role model for the gang-related highschooler that wants to go to college).

4) Would approaching medical schools prior to application be smart? (i.e. sending admissions an email regarding my app, my I want to go to the school, their advise, etc?)

5) What is hard to make of from the online anonymous forum?

1) Trying to target schools that are OOS friendly with an MCAT median around yours that are you not a reapplicant of is a good first step to maximizing your chances

2) I agree 3.5/33 isnt what's keeping you out of med school.

3) So you got about the best feedback you could from the best source in a way they likely spoke with the most candor. He basically told you what you needed to do and this is the main point. It sounds like youve taken the steps you can to address it. Nobody can predict though how individual evaluators will react to 6 IAs and "how much time" will be deemed as enough of a gap between the IAs and your application.

4) I dont recommend this unless an ADCOM on here with experience with this type of thing says otherwise.

5) How you present yourself in your application, how the IAs are reported specifically etc none of this can be assessed on here and these are key things that your chances hinge upon. Nothing you can really do about it, it's just a general principle to not make any sweeping definitive conclusions or statements based off what you read here.

Hi folks, so one thing still unanswered that I would love input on.

Question:
Would approaching medical schools prior to application be smart? (i.e. sending admissions an email regarding my app (IAs and such),why I want to go to the school, their advise, etc?) Should I be reaching out to admissions now to inform them of my IAs/application?

I don't think most schools are receptive to this sort of thing unfortunately. I've heard a few schools do this though. VCU is one. I don't know many others. Some state schools might be receptive to this too (depending on which state you're from).

1) Trying to target schools that are OOS friendly with an MCAT median around yours that are you not a reapplicant of is a good first step to maximizing your chances

2) I agree 3.5/33 isnt what's keeping you out of med school.

3) So you got about the best feedback you could from the best source in a way they likely spoke with the most candor. He basically told you what you needed to do and this is the main point. It sounds like youve taken the steps you can to address it. Nobody can predict though how individual evaluators will react to 6 IAs and "how much time" will be deemed as enough of a gap between the IAs and your application.

4) I dont recommend this unless an ADCOM on here with experience with this type of thing says otherwise.

5) How you present yourself in your application, how the IAs are reported specifically etc none of this can be assessed on here and these are key things that your chances hinge upon. Nothing you can really do about it, it's just a general principle to not make any sweeping definitive conclusions or statements based off what you read here.

Got it GrapesofRath. Thanks for the advise. Actually, a lot of the replies showed where I was not clear in my IAs, which is really important and definitely what I think my app hinges on until interview time! Thanks again.

I don't think most schools are receptive to this sort of thing unfortunately. I've heard a few schools do this though. VCU is one. I don't know many others. Some state schools might be receptive to this too (depending on which state you're from).
Honestly, kind of happy... it would be work on top of the app, MSAR researching, and all the other things in my life :) Thanks for letting me know.

With all due deference to the OP, do keep in mind that there are always two sides to every story. Don't believe me? Wait until you become a parent.

Reactions: 1 users
With all due deference to the OP, do keep in mind that there are always two sides to every story. Don't believe me? Wait until you become a parent.

Hi Goro,

Given that exact sentiment (that people don't know me, or whether my side of the story is true or not), I have asked my recommenders, in particular those that I was very close with in college and knew about the important IAs and the culture of the administration, to address them in their LOR. I have also asked the administration to note in their letter that these warnings are the mildest action the school takes (which as starspells stated, most schools don't make you report), and to address that I am, and have been, in good academic and disciplinary standing with the school (thus no probations, disciplinary meetings, etc).

Like anything in law (my fiance is entering her first year), there are two sides, but one side is right. The assumption by you and adcomms as I see it, is that the student is stretching the truth to edge for a better chance at acceptance. I am doing what I can to remove that bias through the LORs and the letter from admin.

I am not sure how else to address these. I have asked my school if providing affidavits would be helpful... they said there is no need...

I got my first interview invite on Monday to UT San Antonio for MD/PhD!! It is a school I had previously not applied to. Thanks again all for your advice! Now time to interview prep... :)

Reactions: 3 users