Md/PhD Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am preparing myself for applying to MD/PhDs with a Public Health/Epidemiology program in the future. I am going into my second year of undergrad and have now 2 months (albeit only 100 hours thus far) of experience at my local medical school's cardiac research lab and plan to be there for the next few years... They started me off with simple stuff (dry lab stuff - analysis, basic histology) though it is a wet lab in general...

Given I want to apply to Public Health programs, is wet lab experience absolutely necessary (i.e. being more hands on in the lab experiences)? Anything else I should make sure I've got down to prep me for MD/PhDs going into sophomore year? I have roughly 100 hours shadowing across IM, Cards, IR, and Peds EM as of now and work (already have 500 hours) working as a scribe in an ER. I'm also aiming to do some SURPs by the time I apply (fingers crossed I get into one for this upcoming summer).

This semester, I will be taking "Biology Independent Study" doing cancer research with my previous biology professor in his lab at my UG institution an I do have research lined up next semester that I am SUPER interested in and I will get at least 200 hours working at my mid-tier state university studying Ugandan children's nutrition (more dry lab, statistical stuff).

Members don't see this ad.

mid-tier state university studying Ugandan children's nutrition (more dry lab, statistical stuff).

That seems really interesting... and kind of random heh. What make you want to study this area? Just totally curious.

That seems really interesting... and kind of random heh. What make you want to study this area? Just totally curious.
LOL, that professor actually did a presentation in my Medical Humanities class and I just cold-called her asking if there was research opportunities - she is an anthropologist and is always in Uganda collecting data... I got really into population health and cultural healthy (just look at my major) after my dad who was seemingly health passed from a heart attack. Us South Asians kinda suck in terms of diet and predisposition to obesity disorders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user