MDapplicant.com profiles = bragging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgerwuds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok seriously, those of yall with one millionth percentile numbers need to stop posting your stuff on your thread submissions. I don't want to hear about your problems; you have none! My profile is on that website, but I don't post the link here. Unless you ask for them specifically, you don't need to know my numbers! They could be good or they could be bad... who cares? It is meant to be anonymous. If it wasn't, they would ask for your name. There are those out there that may start to feel even more hopeless because of people like you. Please sympathize with them and stop the petty bragging.

Thank you.

MCAT: 46 and GPA: 4.20 (on a 4.00 scale)

Oh, and I cured AIDS and cancer when I was in high school ...just waiting on the FDA to catch up.

See what I mean and how stupid that looks.

Members don't see this ad.

3.84 IVY (4.00 scale)
35: 10v 13p 12b (45)

ECs mostly boring, but could possibly spin them in an intersting way.
2nd author in Nature article, 1st author in another obscure one.

check my profile for my stats! please!

j/k. i dont take it too seriously. i use mda as a way to 1) keep myself organized, 2) let you anonymous strangers follow along with how this anon. stranger's app process is going, if they happen to be interested and 3) let other people (esp those with high numbers from non-ivys) see how they might fare.

Members don't see this ad :)
IndyZX said:

j/k.

I remember you were getting low-mid 30's on the practice tests, so i'm embarassed/ashamed u beat me. i had an off day. :oops:

gluck in your applications

slackerjock said:
I remember you were getting low-mid 30's on the practice tests, so i'm embarassed/ashamed u beat me. i had an off day. :oops:
pish posh. why would you be embarrased, you dont even know me?

and good luck to you too!

i actually like it when people post their MDApp links. its kind of like one-stop-shopping went you're curious about someone's story. if someone posts a question about an interview at school X, i can check to see if we'll be interviewing at the same school (some people even put the dates down), etc.

if you come to SDN, read IndyZX's MDApp profile and think "oh god! this is what i'm up against? i'm screwed! i might as well give up now and start giving hand-jobs in alleys for drug money," well, you're stupid. tough sh.t.

my link may be coming soon...

IndyZX said:
pish posh. why would you be embarrased, you dont even know me?

and good luck to you too!

you are a prefect example... keep the bragging between you and your family.

I read the profiles to torture myself and sometimes for inspiration. Anyone read the one where the kid got into Harvard med with a 25!!! That's freakin' awesome and kind of stuff I want to read about.

My profile:

MCAT 45
GPA 4.0
EC: I got rid of polio and smallpox in various indigenous regions in the World.

Does it really bother you that much? hahaha. I will probably put mine on the bottom of my name when the time comes, even if it is good or bad. I like knowing the stats of the individuals I am talking to.

My stats are normal...I posted them so people wouldn't always ask what they were. I don't care, no one knows who I am...plus it helps keep track of what is going on.

Yeah seriously if mine is bragging I at least need to lie and bump the gpa up a little bit.

Let them brag about it while they can, because no one will care about MCAT/GPA after the white coat ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I first came to the site, I was curious to see where my fellow premeds stood. Yeah, the numbers were pretty daunting, but eventually, the 4.0s and 45s only pushed me to excel further.

The reason they are so "daunting" is because not everyone puts up a profile. Its generally, the high scorers that do. If everyone posted a profile, there's no way the mean would be so terribly skewed.
Point is - its just numbers. Considering how huge the applicant pool is, I highly doubt any of them would completely overshadow the rest. Besides, its a great way to keep track of things.

Plus, I like seeing the stats cuz its like a short story, an insight into who the poster is.

Yes, some may be bragging (emphasis on SOME), but I think the general majority are just trying to give a broad idea as to what the process entails.

tgerwuds and fullefect1 have the same face. hahaha. :laugh:

...ok so I admit I'm just saying this to get my 50th post.

mdapplicant.com profiles = useful

A lot of people view the willingness of a person to link their profile as a measure of reliability (since there are a lot of questionable profiles there).

In terms of my profile, I think it is useful for others to see how the process worked for someone who applied with a 26 the first time around, and a 37 the second time around. I have had numerous PMs about how I did it.

Truthfully, I didn't link my profile when I had the 26. I was a bit embarassed about my score, plus I was a newbie to SDN. It can be intimidating around here.

However, one little tidbit of advice to the OP. Take your left hand, use it grab your right fore finger, and prevent from clicking on the links to people's profiles. ;)

Treg

It is sobering that people with such high stats and ec's are getting so many rejections. :confused:

tgerwuds said:
you are a prefect example... keep the bragging between you and your family.
so, when you get into baylor or UTSW (or whatever), will you not post that on SDN? when you get an interview from another great school, you wont tell anyone?

i think thats silly. i know whats driving you to say what youre saying, but contrary to what you may think, im a fairly humble person.

i think my story will help some people. besides, its not like i scream out "i have a 3.9+/35+!" on any of my posts.

peace.

IndyZX said:
so, when you get into baylor or UTSW (or whatever), will you not post that on SDN? when you get an interview from another great school, you wont tell anyone?

Amen to that.

Personally, I am actually curious about how/where people here will end up. And if you are bothered by the whole MDapplicants thing, no one is forcing you to click the link, you know. ;)

IndyZX said:
j/k. i dont take it too seriously. i use mda as a way to 1) keep myself organized, 2) let you anonymous strangers follow along with how this anon. stranger's app process is going, if they happen to be interested and 3) let other people (esp those with high numbers from non-ivys) see how they might fare.

AMEN TO THAT. I also use mdapplicants as my database to where I have applied, which secondaries I've done, etc. Very useful.

I also have an excel spreadsheet as a backup because I can keep a running tally of my fees and what not on it. (slowly approaching 1700). And besides, Its only a back up and you can't use a spreadsheet to brag.... ;)

Funny how my 31 is the lowest mdapp profile I've seen on here...and that is almost the 90th percentile. I think everyone should start posting them

tgerwuds said:
Ok seriously, those of yall with one millionth percentile numbers need to stop posting your stuff on your thread submissions. I don't want to hear about your problems; you have none! My profile is on that website, but I don't post the link here. Unless you ask for them specifically, you don't need to know my numbers! They could be good or they could be bad... who cares? It is meant to be anonymous. If it wasn't, they would ask for your name. There are those out there that may start to feel even more hopeless because of people like you. Please sympathize with them and stop the petty bragging.

Thank you.

Oh, and I cured AIDS and cancer when I was in high school ...just waiting on the FDA to catch up.

This is kinda of a ridiculous thread...no one is saying you have to post any of your stats, nor do you have to look at anyone else's if you don't want to. Personally I like them, because it's good to see what kinds of interview/secondary offers people are getting with numbers as a reference. And as far as posting them in threads, most people don't throw their numbers around everytime they make a post, so I don't see what the problem is. Actually, people usually don't post stats unless someone specifically asks them to. Anyways, all I'm saying is chill out, it's not a big deal and most people find it helpful or useful in some way
:)

tgerwuds said:

Thank you.

I mean ................ could you FREAK out anymore? I think most people use mdapplicants for organizing purposes and as a tool to see whos' getting in where. It helps people kind of see where they're at in terms of their peers.

So just take a deep breathe..............exhale and please remove the large jagged, thorny object from your...... :laugh:

OP needs to chill.
personally, i think my stuff is my own business so i am not posting anything like that.
but, the point at SDN is to help our fellow pre-meddies and get helped. ALL of the people in this (Dr. Thom, Indy, Treg, adam, and more) have been a significant help not only to me but to innumerable other people through their posts. to say that they are arrogant because they have links to their numbers and EC's is just nonsense and ignores the facts.
and, they should be proud of their numbers, no matter what they are, if you ask me. we don't even know who they are in person.

This is so goddamn lame. Is anyone forcing you to click on the link? No, your doing so on your own accord. You dont like it? Then dont f'ing click it!

Besides, no one here has an obligation to keep there stats/accomplishments hidden for the sake of others fragile egos. True, one shouldnt brag, but that's where it ends.

Most of the people on here who have posted links to their profiles are not bragging types - you can just look through their posts and see they are not grandstanding, they are just comfortable with who they are and what they've done. JohnHolmes is a good example.

If you look at someone else's numbers and feel bad it is your ego that's messed up, not theirs.

actually i really like when people post mdapplicant profiles online. the profiles do bring a new dimension to the boards, but i think it's a good one. it helps me relate to the people i talk to and it can be very encouraging to see when someone has gained an acceptance/gotten an interview.

We all know there is some dude out there who looks at my stats and ec's and is like, wow, that is just like mine...when I apply next year I can learn a lot from what he did.

Now, maybe there are not a lot of people who look at these awesome profiles and say that is me....those people don't care, and are getting in anyway. Its ok for them to post it, because it just raises the bar for the rest of us...not to mention, one day after the white coat ceremony, this all means nothing. With that in mind, more average or below average applicants should join the group....it would just help more people, because oh my god...most people are average :laugh:

Knowing others' numbers, their ECs/interests, and their grades is really nice when trying to guage where you stand in this process. Perhaps it's just that I went through the law school admissions process (which is far more numbers oriented and predictable), but it gets annoying to see posts where people get an interview or get into a school and don't mention their numbers. On the law discussion boards, they'll actually chastise you for posting an acceptance without giving your numbers, as your post is useless to everyone else and therefore you're just tooting your own horn.

So don't complain when people actually give back to other applicants. Somebody out there is getting into Hopkins or Vandy or Wisconsin or Loma Linda or UCI, and someone else is interested in what got them there.

Don't be afraid to give yourself to others, man. And don't hate on those who do. :cool:

Ten minutes before starting this thread, the OP wrote this in the "waiting on Vandy secondary" thread:
tgerwuds said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy73
I'm sure Vandy is still sorting through all of those AMCASes. I'm well above their averages and haven't heard a word (processed 7-13). Besides, from DrThom's post it sounds like they're sending out rejections at the same time as invitations, so no news is... well, at least it's not bad news.

I wouldn't worry about getting in... just worry about the people that don't get in. They will hunt you down because you are the "shoe in" that kept them from getting in.
So it seems I touched off this firestorm. Thanks to all the earlier posters who've basically summed up my reasoning for the siggy. You guys rock, and the OP needs to chill.

Isn't MDA notorious for false stats?

Anyways, I don't think a link to a MDA profile is bragging, unless the text says, "LOOK AT ME!" or something attention grabbing.

Wiggy73 said:
Ten minutes before starting this thread, the OP wrote this in the "waiting on Vandy secondary" thread:

So it seems I touched off this firestorm. Thanks to all the earlier posters who've basically summed up my reasoning for the siggy. You guys rock, and the OP needs to chill.

WoW! You really took a chance with your choice of schools. Just because your stats are AH-MAZING, doesn't mean you'll get in. A lot of people make the same mistake as you and regret it as they're re-applying...

Don't get me wrong. I wish you all the luck in the world! Since Wash U is a numbers *****, you'll probably get in there if nowhere else :luck: :luck: :luck:

people with 4.0s and 42s done get rejected from everywhere in the real world. a lot of people do make the mistake of applying to only top10 schools, but you can count the number of 4.0/42s on your hands and feet, prob. i think she'll do ok as long as there is the slightest hint of a real desire to go into medicine, which im sure she has.

but, if all else fails, you do have washu. :)

good luck!

adamj61 said:
My stats are normal...I posted them so people wouldn't always ask what they were.

The site would not be very useful if it wasn't for the ppl like these who actually give legit stats. Nice to follow how things go for them too.

tgerwuds said:

Thank you.

WHO CARES... Exactly... Thanks for wasting my time with this incredibly enlightening post... You should become a writer for soaps, cause I can sense that your daytime emmy is in the bag. If you have a problem with it, fine. But posting such a complaint leads me to believe that you might have some insecurities. I am nowhere near having stats to brag about, and kudos to those who do. Yes, those who flaunt their numbers irritate me, but those are individuals who themselves may be fickle and are looking for others to gawk over them in order to make up for their own insecurities. You know what? I despise it, but I'm confident enough to blow it off and know that I am a strong applicant, regardless what others post, and you should too. You just make yourself look silly when you post a pointless thread like this. You're better than that. :thumbup:

AJ

PS- I didn't cure AIDS, but I managed to come up with a great new cream to relieve itching due to hemorrhoids. And guess what? That didn't even get me an interview, after all the good I've done. Med school ad comms are a bunch of savages

slackerjock said:

gluck in your applications

Ashamed, eh? Maybe you missed that day in P.E. where your manish PE instructor taught the class about humility. ***ANNOUNCEMENT: Would the class please remove the thumbs from their...*** you get the point.

ME!

I joined the SDN forums about a week ago and I have to admit that I clicked IndyZX's link to MDapplicants.com. I thought..."Wow! This guy is good! And, man, my numbers stink!" I felt comfortable with my stats beforehand though.

Then I saw that we were processed by TMDSAS on the same day, 7/21, and the following week he had already had an interview to UTH and I didn't. This really scared me, but it was only because I didn't have the interview and I thought it was because I didn't have his stats.

It was discouraging at first, but I waited a few days and my interview invite came and I felt better. (Real grown up, huh? Oh, well, at least I'm being honest.) So I think the link from SDN can be discouraging when some are getting the interviews and acceptances and others aren't and they begin to see these stellar scores on the links.

But then again, I would have never known about MDapplicants.com unless he had the link in the first place. It turned out to be a very helpful resource when I started looking up stats of my own to see where people got in.

In other words, I agree with most of you....so what if they have the link, it's their choice to place it in their signature and it's your choice to look at it or not.

Well good luck to all you! And way to go Indy on those stats! LOL!

Jessica

P.S. Indy, I hope you didn't mind me using you as an example. :)

Let's face it. While some people like to post their stats, others don't. I'm sure that there are peeps out there who have the stats, but just don't post. And though I've only been an SDN member for a short time, I've noticed that everyone with MDapplicant profiles have GPAs of 3.7+ and MCATs of 35+. But you have to admit that not all people who apply to med school have those stats. If you can get over that fact, I think that it's fine for people to post their accomplishments. If I had a 43 MCAT and 4.0 GPA from Stanford, I'd be darn proud too. There's always going to be someone better than you out there, and that is a simple fact of life that you have to come to terms with ;)

ifailedmcat said:
Isn't MDA notorious for false stats?

I think that's BS. MDA isn't necessarily a representative sample of all applicants because the averages are often somewhat higher, but I don't see any motivation to go through all the trouble to fake stats to impress people you don't know online. I don't know how this rumor got started, but I think it's ridiculous. :thumbdown:

im proud of my 3.4 31.

profile # 988 :)

IndyZX said:

:rolleyes: Yea I am sure you have posted this link to "keep yourself organized"...could you describe to me how posting this will keep you "organized"? No anonymous stranger cares what your stats are and if anything your only motive as mentioned by OP is bragging and getting an ego boost. Oh and how modest and considerate of you to post your stats only for "those with high numbers" to see how they compare to you....I guess that is not considered bragging?

Misty said:
I give this thread two thumbs down

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I give you three thumbs down :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Disenchanted 1 said:
No anonymous stranger cares what your stats are and if anything your only motive as mentioned by OP is bragging and getting an ego boost. Oh and how modest and considerate of you to post your stats only for "those with high numbers" to see how they compare to you....I guess that is not considered bragging?

Actually... I would prefer to know everyones stats when they post. It kinda lets you know where the coming from when they give advice on the difficulty of this or the value of that. It also lends credibility to certain types of posts. For example, I'll listen to what anyone has to say about extra curriculars and letters of rec, but do I really want to take the advice on what science classes to take from someone with a BCPM of 3.2? No, I dont.
It would also be encouraging for those with low stats to see others with low stats get accepted to medical school. So you see, stat posting isnt always bad.

I will put my 3.5 BCMP against most 3.8 and 4's out there. MDapps also lets you see where someone went to school, and their major. That is what I would also take into account when receiving advice

Disenchanted 1 said:
:rolleyes: Yea I am sure you have posted this link to "keep yourself organized"...could you describe to me how posting this will keep you "organized"? No anonymous stranger cares what your stats are and if anything your only motive as mentioned by OP is bragging and getting an ego boost. Oh and how modest and considerate of you to post your stats only for "those with high numbers" to see how they compare to you....I guess that is not considered bragging?
You can say what you want, but it has helped me on numerous occasions as an organizational tool, though I didn't say that was the only reason i use it. Also, I think we have established that some anonymous strangers do care. Try reading through the thread, and please read through all my previous posts if you wish. See if you can find any evidence of me being a braggart, who uses SDN to give himself an ego boost.

And to your last point insisting that my consideration has been false: Well, people with high stats are applicants, too, and I believe that it will prove to be helpful in the future to them. I'm guessing that the group doesn't include you, but I'm really not here to appeal to you.

If you look to the older MDA profiles, you'll see that there are very, very few profiles of high stats applicants from UT who applied to out-of-state schools. I really didn't know what to expect. I hope I can help someone with what I've gone through.

Originally Posted by Disenchanted 1
No anonymous stranger cares what your stats are and if anything your only motive as mentioned by OP is bragging and getting an ego boost.
ummmm...did you even read this thread? if you did, you would have seen how many people posted in favor of MDApp links, testifying that it helped them in some way. "No anonymous strnager cares"?? says who? :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Disenchanted 1
Oh and how modest and considerate of you to post your stats only for "those with high numbers" to see how they compare to you....I guess that is not considered bragging?
no, its not bragging. of course Indy's profile is more geared towards others with high numbers. if you had huge numbers, would you give a sh.t if someone with a 21 MCAT got rejected everywhere but a DO school that opened yesterday? hell no, you wouldn't--you would look for profiles of your ilk. i have no idea (other than insecurity) why this ruffles everyones feathers. as others have said: YOU'RE NOT AT GUNPOINT!!! DON'T CLICK THE DAMN LINK!! OK???

weaksauce.

superdevil said:
weaksauce.

Good post...I don't get why people care either. We all know there is someone out there with top stats, who cares if you can look at them. Some of these people are neurotic and way too high strung...wouldn't you expect that from the people with good stats? Maybe not... :rolleyes:

Tiki Tiki Tembo said:
WoW! You really took a chance with your choice of schools. Just because your stats are AH-MAZING, doesn't mean you'll get in. A lot of people make the same mistake as you and regret it as they're re-applying...

Don't get me wrong. I wish you all the luck in the world! Since Wash U is a numbers *****, you'll probably get in there if nowhere else :luck: :luck: :luck:

What are you talking about? People with her stats can afford to take these kinds of chances. Although not applying to her state school is gutsy, I would have been fine not applying to my state school and so would a lot of other people. She doesn't have to waste her time and money applying to places she doesn't want to attend, and she doesn't need you to tell her she's making a mistake.

more from the devil's advocate...

I don't see anyone with substandard numbers, in the low 20s perhaps, and a low gpa posting the link to their mdapplicants.com profile... do you?

case closed... get "Outlook" it is the all powerful organizational tool

For those who feel bad looking at someone else's mdapplicant profile or seeing someone get a secondary or interview invite that you don't get - you're just going to have to get used to it. Starting in October there will be threads popping up for people who have been accepted at schools that you have not been accepted at. We all have to learn to deal with disappointment because it is a fact of life for every single one of us, from the 3.0, 25's to the 4.0, 42's. There will always be someone doing better than you, and the sooner you get used to that idea, the happier you'll be in the long run.