This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GSW99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I have a quick question to ask, for accepted medical students, admission or representatives! So I graduated with a 3.8 GPA, minor in English and Spanish . MCAT processing grade. 400+ physician shadowing. Research Published. I know that would be good looking application if it only had all that, but I received an F, during freshman year in a biology course (pre req for med school appliaction). Had personal issues that came in between and my school didn't allow Withdrawals!!! So now I don't know what to do? Will that F ruin my chances for med school or will my upward trend of good grades save it?

Please, any help is highly recommended!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does your 3.8 GPA include the F? (Because AMCAS will include it!) And what was your grade when you retook it?

Generally speaking, one F shouldn't kill your chances. Just be prepared to explain it either in person in an interview or in a secondary essay (some schools ask something along the lines of "explain any inconsistencies in your application.")

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does your 3.8 GPA include the F? (Because AMCAS will include it!) And what was your grade when you retook it?

Generally speaking, one F shouldn't kill your chances. Just be prepared to explain it either in person in an interview or in a secondary essay (some schools ask something along the lines of "explain any inconsistencies in your application.")

Generally speaking, I did this program where junior and seniors can take college course (it's a community college program ), while still taking high school classes, and during my junior of high school I got the F. I retook it senior year, but the grades transfer over to my university not the gpa. So the F was not included in my gpa. :/ but I did take a lot of upper division biology and chemistry courses and maintained an A standing in them.

Generally speaking, I did this program where junior and seniors can take college course (it's a community college program ), while still taking high school classes, and during my junior of high school I got the F. I retook it senior year, but the grades transfer over to my university not the gpa. So the F was not included in my gpa. :/ but I did take a lot of upper division biology and chemistry courses and maintained an A standing in them.

I don't understand - is the F included on your college transcript or not? If so, AMCAS will count it as part of your GPA unless it is simply recorded as a "No Pass", in which case I'm not sure how it counts it.

One F will not kill your chances. be prepared to discuss it at interviews, though.

Will the admissions think it's a rookie mistake only because I took it during junior year od high school?

I don't understand - is the F included on your college transcript or not? If so, AMCAS will count it as part of your GPA unless it is simply recorded as a "No Pass", in which case I'm not sure how it counts it.

Yes the F is on my college transcript :/. but idk how AMCAS would calculate the grade since I retook it.

AMCAS will include the F in your GPA, which they calculate for you. You're expected to report every college-level course you've ever attempted.

But I still don't think this will hurt your chances too much, especially considering that you were only in high school at the time. It will pull down your GPA a bit, though.

If you choose to apply to DO schools, they won't count the F and will only include whatever grade you got when you retook it.

Yes the F is on my college transcript :/. but idk how AMCAS would calculate the grade since I retook it.

Then it will count it as an F. This probably won't be a huge deal - it may drop you a 0.1 of a grade point, but that won't slash your chances. ADCOMs will consider the fact that you received this grade in high school.

AMCAS will include the F in your GPA, which they calculate for you. You're expected to report every college-level course you've ever attempted.

But I still don't think this will hurt your chances too much, especially considering that you were only in high school at the time. It will pull down your GPA a bit, though.
Then it will count it as an F. This probably won't be a huge deal - it may drop you a 0.1 of a grade point, but that won't slash your chances. ADCOMs will consider the fact that you received this grade in high school.

I tried to make my application as polished as it could ever be because of that F. I've got recommendation letters from Emergency Department chairman's, cardiologists and neurologists, since I shadowed with them. I even got my research in neuroscience published at a top tier hospital out here. I don't want the F to hurt me only because it's from a pre req for med school.

I tried to make my application as polished as it could ever be because of that F. I've got recommendation letters from Emergency Department chairman's, cardiologists and neurologists, since I shadowed with them. I even got my research in neuroscience published at a top tier hospital out here. I don't want the F to hurt me only because it's from a pre req for med school.

Again, it won't significantly impact your chances. Stop worrying about it.
However, LORs from people you shadowed may not be the best idea - they are largely seen as fluff.

Reactions: 1 users
Again, it won't significantly impact your chances. Stop worrying about it.
However, LORs from people you shadowed may not be the best idea - they are largely seen as fluff.

Really? But I heard LORs are from people that know you well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? But I heard LORs are from people that know you well?

If you think about it, you'll agree that you don't really get to demonstrate your character when you're shadowing - all you're doing is watching, maybe chatting a bit with patients.

That's why it's better to get a LOR from someone who knows you well and has seen your skills/character in the work place and in academics, such as professors or supervisors from jobs/volunteer work, preferably in a clinical setting.

If you think about it, you'll agree that you don't really get to demonstrate your character when you're shadowing - all you're doing is watching, maybe chatting a bit with patients.

That's why it's better to get a LOR from someone who knows you well and has seen your skills/character in the work place and in academics, such as professors or supervisors from jobs/volunteer work, preferably in a clinical setting.

That's true. I work as Medical scribe in the ED at three hospitals so maybe LORs from them would probably better!

Thanks for letting me know now, so I still have time to get them :)

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, I took college classes in High school, and had to report them on the AMCAS. They did show up on my University Transcript as transfer credits.
What happened in high school stays in high school.

all your attempts will, I believe, show up . However, only the last grade will be in GPA calculation. If a school digs down enough and sees some major issue (like repeating the same course 4 times or having to repeat a slew of courses) they may ask you to explain.
Thank you

Hello everyone,

So I have a quick question to ask, for accepted medical students, admission or representatives! So I graduated with a 3.8 GPA, minor in English and Spanish . MCAT processing grade. 400+ physician shadowing. Research Published. I know that would be good looking application if it only had all that, but I received an F, during freshman year in a biology course (pre req for med school appliaction). Had personal issues that came in between and my school didn't allow Withdrawals!!! So now I don't know what to do? Will that F ruin my chances for med school or will my upward trend of good grades save it?

Please, any help is highly recommended!!!!

3.8 and double minor looks nice. Adcoms look for consistency and they'll ask about anything that doesn't seem consistent. Consider it a plus that you received the F during your pre-college years and don't let it phase you. During interviews, it will be fair game for them to ask you about it so be prepared.

Rather than spending your entire response trying to explain what caused it, make the explanation short (because it's not that important) and follow up with measures you took that ensured you did not receive an F for the remainder of your college years. Doing this will allow you to leave with a strong impression despite the past shortcomings you've experienced. In short, turn this incident into a positive one for you and hope for the best.

You did the right thing by sharing your concerns here. Now it's time to come up with a stellar response that affects your true ability to achieve academically.

Cheers!

Hi you guys just an update... I am quite disappointed that when I calculated my grade it is not close to what I had expected ): I'm kind of sad that my score is so low. It disappoints me. That F in a pre req science course, really did shake up my overall gpa )": after calculating everything up.

sGPA 3.3 cGPA 3.5 MCAT 520

The schools I plan on applying this semester are: LMK if it is a good start or if I should consider anything moving forward? I plan on applying this cycle, but would I have a chance with those stats? Any suggestion is highly appreciated !!!

UCD
UCI
Buffalo
Albany
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Wake Forest
UNR
Roseman
UNLV
UVM
STONY

UPDATE!!! I have two LOR from my science professors from upper division science courses, one of the professor is also my research coordinator. My third LOR is from a MD Cardiologist who I have been shadowing.

Last edited:
With that MCAT you should be fine but apply broadly and early. Some of the more seasoned admissions advisors will probably be along to give you a list edit take their advice and run its the best thing you'll ever read on the internet.

I know my MCAT is quite appealing but my science GPA as well as my cGPA is not so stunning as it should've been. I'm not URM so I don't have an advantage there. I'm hoping that the MCAT would help my application a bit. I plan on applying Beginning-August since I'll be waiting for summer grades to hit in that may help with my GPA a little.
With that MCAT you should be fine but apply broadly and early. Some of the more seasoned admissions advisors will probably be along to give you a list edit take their advice and run its the best thing you'll ever read on the internet.

Last edited:
I wanted to add that I am willing to spend the money for Private or Public schools. Money is not the issue for me. Main focus it so to get in! Willing to apply to 30+ schools if needed (haha hoping it's not needed)

It won't kill your app, but have a good answer in interviews.

I know my MCAT is quite appealing but my science GPA as well as my cGPA is not so stunning as it should've been. I'm not URM so I don't have an advantage there. I'm hoping that the MCAT would help my application a bit. I plan on applying Beginning-August since I'll be waiting for summer grades to hit in that may help with my GPA a little.

I often draw on this comparison.......people often forget that the MCAT is kind of like the SAT to get into college. You can have a kid with a 3.2 in high school get a 2100 on the SAT and they get into fantastic schools and kids with 4.0s with horrible SATs get into community college (nothing against that obviously). The MCAT is, has, and always will be the measuring stick sadly. However in your case it benefits you so run with it and be a good doctor.

Hi you guys just an update... I am quite disappointed that when I calculated my grade it is not close to what I had expected ): I'm kind of sad that my score is so low. It disappoints me. That F in a pre req science course, really did shake up my overall gpa )": after calculating everything up.

sGPA 3.3 cGPA 3.5 MCAT 520

The schools I plan on applying this semester are: LMK if it is a good start or if I should consider anything moving forward? I plan on applying this cycle, but would I have a chance with those stats? Any suggestion is highly appreciated !!!

UCD
UCI
Buffalo
Albany
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Wake Forest
UNR
Roseman
UNLV
UVM
STONY

UPDATE!!! I have two LOR from my science professors from upper division science courses, one of the professor is also my research coordinator. My third LOR is from a MD Cardiologist who I have been shadowing.
Don't apply to UNLV or UNR unless you're from Nevada. I think UNR accepted 8 OOS last cycle and from what I've heard UNLV will be the same