Med School Wardrobe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorsniper17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting med school in a few weeks and was just wondering how often you need/wear a suit as a medical school student? I picked up a couple nice suits at a sale recently and hope they won't just hang in my closet for the next four years. Obviously I know it's a shirt and tie or scrubs in the hospitals/clinics, but are there conferences/meetings/events that occur from time to time that would require a suit?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting med school in a few weeks and was just wondering how often you need/wear a suit as a medical school student? I picked up a couple nice suits at a sale recently and hope they won't just hang in my closet for the next four years. Obviously I know it's a shirt and tie or scrubs in the hospitals/clinics, but are there conferences/meetings/events that occur from time to time that would require a suit?

Thanks

The only time you will wear a suit is for residency interviews fourth year and for graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
The only time you will wear a suit is for residency interviews fourth year and for graduation.

That's not entirely true. At my school, any time we do clinical stuff (which we start in first year), we wear business attire. For guys, that means a suit. For women, it's a little more laxed, but you can wear a suit or dress or slacks and a blouse, etc.

We also have something called Hospital Day in years one and two where we are introduced to different programs, both for rotations and for residency. We're expected to wear business clothes for that as well.

It all depends on your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have to wear buisness for clinical but not a suit since we have white coats. I didn't use my suit at all during first year- I might pull it out for a conference or something in 2nd year but highly doubt it.

I think a few people in our class had to use them for student government events and we did have a formal that guys wore suits to but all of the ladies were in cocktail dresses.

I've worn my one suit once. Knew this would be the case going in, and stocked up on pants, shirts, ties, and shoes. And black socks- so many pairs of black socks.

That's not entirely true. At my school, any time we do clinical stuff (which we start in first year), we wear business attire. For guys, that means a suit.
No short white coat?

First two years you generally only wear full on business attire twice at my school: during our formal. Otherwise it's shirt, tie, slacks and the white coat for any sort of preclinical preceptorship (and during clinicals too for that matter).

Otherwise you can wear whatever you like to class as long as it's within the norms of your school's decency code or whatever. You shouldn't be dressing provocatively or whatever anyway since you're in a professional school, not college.

you can go from bed/floor straight to the test and then back again.

for days in clinic, shirt, tie, and slacks are fine. as long as you don't look worse than your attending/resident, you're going to be fine. females tend to have more leeway, although, i usually dress up. they just don't want you scarring away their patients.

quick guide: dress like you're going to church with your grandma.

wore suit a couple of times cause i felt like it, but by far, not necessary except for interviews.

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're on the topic of wardrobes, what kind of shoes do the girls wear when they're dressed up?

I'm wondering if I have to go with flats, or if a comfy low-heel pump (2 inch or less) would be appropriate.

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're on the topic of wardrobes, what kind of shoes do the girls wear when they're dressed up?

I'm wondering if I have to go with flats, or if a comfy low-heel pump (2 inch or less) would be appropriate.

You can do either. Many of us start wearing flats because >12 hours on your feet even in "comfy" heels ain't so comfy. But no one is going to judge you if you for heels. Unless you are limping in them, which might get some eye-rolling behind your back.

You can do either. Many of us start wearing flats because >12 hours on your feet even in "comfy" heels ain't so comfy. But no one is going to judge you if you for heels. Unless you are limping in them, which might get some eye-rolling behind your back.

I know a girl who basically just wears heels because she thinks she's hot.... even to lab :rolleyes:

I was thinking more about the MSI/II shadowing/preceptor stuff, which I imagine is only a few hours. By the time I'm on legit clinical rotations for 12 hours, I hope to be rocking some kind of comfort clogs ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking more about the MSI/II shadowing/preceptor stuff, which I imagine is only a few hours. By the time I'm on legit clinical rotations for 12 hours, I hope to be rocking some kind of comfort clogs ;)

if you can walk/stand for 4 hours non stop that is probably good enough for shadowing clinic. For shadowing surgery you'd look silly in heels in the OR

if you can walk/stand for 4 hours non stop that is probably good enough for shadowing clinic. For shadowing surgery you'd look silly in heels in the OR

No joke- who wears heels with scrubs? I'm talking about when I'm in a dress shirt and skirt/pants...clearly.

I wear comfy heels in the clinic all the time. My preceptor actually said on the first day, "You might want to get some flats." then I wore some Dansko shoes I got on sale last year and my feet were killing me by the end of the day... I told him I was going back to my heels! :) If you are used to them and they've got good padding you are probably going to be fine. (ditto to what others said about wearing them in the hospital or for surgery - that would just be weird)

I wear comfy heels in the clinic all the time. My preceptor actually said on the first day, "You might want to get some flats." then I wore some Dansko shoes I got on sale last year and my feet were killing me by the end of the day... I told him I was going back to my heels! :) If you are used to them and they've got good padding you are probably going to be fine. (ditto to what others said about wearing them in the hospital or for surgery - that would just be weird)

Can you tell me what kind of comfy heels you have? I love heels, but they kill my feet.

The ones I wear I got on clearance at Dillards for like $14 or something. They are not a skinny heel, more thick and have a very cushion-y insole. The heel height is about 2-2.5" The brand of these particular ones is called Nurture. The soles of these shoes are a lot more comfortable with walking (at least to me!) than my dansko's. I hope that helps :)

EDIT: Hey I found a link! It may not stay active for long but for now here is the exact shoe that I have. Maybe this brand has other styles that are comfy too. These shoes are actually pretty cute with nice pants or a skirt and I've worn them in clinics for up to 9 hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fe20ff4&itemid=270599884827&ff4=263602_263622

I just have to say, I have been on a comfortable heel search for several years now and I always have better luck if I look for a lower heel, a thicker more sturdy heel, a good amount of padding in the soles (although inserts could help here), and plenty of room in the toe box.

Thanks! It's a little out of my price range at the moment, but now that I know what brand/type it is, I'll be on the look-out for it.

A Note on The Shoes - Heel or no heel they have to be closed toe. If a safety inspector is on the floors or in the lab and you have an open toed shoe on they will yell at you. Plus you really are jeopardizing your safety.

I would recommend getting something comfy. On some rotations you are standing from 8-12 on rounds. Not a heel friendly environment.

Last edited:
A Note on The Shoes - Heel or no heel they have to be closed toe. If some safety person is on the floors or in the lab and you have an open toed shoe on they will yell at you.

I would recommend getting something comfy. On some rotations you are standing from 8-12 on rounds. Not a heel friendly environment.

I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to sexiness. What is this comfort you speak of?

Alas, my commitment to sexiness when dealing with vomit has dramatically waned.

Plus have you ever found a pair of heels that goes with scrubs?

Ok, speaking of med school wardrobe I have a question. I have a ton of old clothes from undergrad that are of Abercrombie/American Eagle brand. Just for the classroom or casual scene, are those types of clothes considered juvenille in medical school? It's probably a stupid question, but I'm packing up my stuff to move out west and I want to know if I should sell some things. I want to be taken seriously, etc.

Ok, speaking of med school wardrobe I have a question. I have a ton of old clothes from undergrad that are of Abercrombie/American Eagle brand. Just for the classroom or casual scene, are those types of clothes considered juvenille in medical school? It's probably a stupid question, but I'm packing up my stuff to move out west and I want to know if I should sell some things. I want to be taken seriously, etc.

You're moving to California....

Our idea of "business attire" is pretty much a pair of nice jeans and flip-flops (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit... but not much). Seriously though, anywhere on the West Coast is going to be pretty lax on attire. At my Loma Linda interview, several girls were not in suits (mostly just a pair of dress pants, nice shirt, and sandals) and no one seemed remotely phased by that.

Wear whatever is comfortable. There are only a few times in the first 2 years that it was a mandatory white coat day, at least in my school. I just wear a t-shirt/polo/whatever and jeans/shorts + flipflops or sneakers. People will take you more seriously based on your abilities and not on how you dress.

Wear whatever is comfortable. There are only a few times in the first 2 years that it was a mandatory white coat day, at least in my school. I just wear a t-shirt/polo/whatever and jeans/shorts + flipflops or sneakers. People will take you more seriously based on your abilities and not on how you dress.

Sadly, that isn't really true. I love being relaxed but patients do judge you whether consciously or unconsciously on how you're dressed. You have to look the part to some degree, along with good bedside manner and solid medical knowledge. You can get by with a deficiency in one of those within reason, but people will be a bit more apprehensive if you're a complete slob.

in lecture - nobody cares
in clinic- people care

I know some medical schools are going towards tie for all guys even in lecture. can you believe that.

batman costume.

...or superman.

By the time you complete your studies, you would nt give a dare about suits and other petty things!

I know some medical schools are going towards tie for all guys even in lecture. can you believe that.
I hate ties. :(

Thanks

I wore a suit just 2-3 times first year. One was for some interview, another time for orientation, and another for some dance.

Just don't be THAT PERSON who wears scrubs to anything besides anatomy lab in m1/2.

haven't worn my suit since med school interviews 3 years ago.

gotta rock the ties/dress shirts/slacks for non-call days. it's fun dressing fancy feelin like a super star walking round (albeit knowing nothing), but i'd rather wear scrubs and adidas...

I know this prob stupid question, but what about to our week long orientation? there were no specifics given, I'm assuming casual?

I know this prob stupid question, but what about to our week long orientation? there were no specifics given, I'm assuming casual?
We had a schedule for orientation that also told us how to dress(casual, etc.) for each day. They will likely let you know sometime?

Just don't be THAT PERSON who wears scrubs to anything besides anatomy lab in m1/2.

Over here you get written up for (un)professionalism if you wear scrubs for anything other than anatomy lab. They say they do this because no one wants dead human tissue in the classrooms or near the food courts/nearby stores/restaurants.

:(

Last edited:
Over here you get written up for (un)professionalism if you wear scrubs for anything other than anatomy lab. They say they do this because no one wants dead human tissue in the classrooms or near the food courts/nearby stores/restaurants.

:(

Sometimes I'll be lazy and go home in scrubs if I've been in the hosp for 17 hours, but I think they're inappropriate unless you have a purpose for wearing them!

If you're just walking to and from the lab, I've never heard of anything happening before. And at the beginnings of the semester there are multiple warnings, reminders, and emails. After a while, they just start handing them out to people hanging out in line for food.

It's kind of a big deal because the professionalism cards go on your dean's letter.

I wear them sometimes just for comfort, to be fair :D. Beats the hell out of doing laundry

US med schools: wear regular school clothes, a few schools have a dress code...chinos and nice t-shirt with collar...

Foreign med schools: quite a few of them have khaki pant, t-shirts with collar dress codes

I generally hate dress codes...but honestly I am SHOCKED by the way some people dress...it's not the street corner people...geez louise...but hey, who am I to comment.

We just got this today

- Dress Code – We don’t have a dress code, but please remember that this is a professional atmosphere. That doesn’t mean you have to dress in professional attire, just be appropriate. During Orientation, and classes for that matter, you don’t need to dress up. Shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops are all fine. On the first day, we will be taking your composite picture and you will get your ID made, which has a photo of you from the neck up, so make sure that part looks decent. Sometimes the classroom gets very cold, so as hot as it seems outside, you may want to bring a jacket or sweater.

Regardless of medical school or not, you're too old to be wearing that kind of stuff, anyways. I think you should ditch the fratboy attire and move on to something a bit more grown up. :thumbup:

Wear flat shoes that you could run up and down stairs with. Elevators take forever to go places. You will be working long hours. You will be walking through various bodily fluids. There are nice flat shoes that have good, resilient soles. You will not be judged on the fanciness of your shoes. But do make sure they are in reasonable shape. Patients do not like it when students' shoes are torn or filthy or totally scuffed up.

This may be a stupid bump, bug can I wear shorts, hoodies, jeans, and other stuff from undergrad? And does it look more professional to have shirt tucked in with a belt on, or does no one care if your shirt isn't tucked.

yes unless you're at some crappy school like lecom

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like I will have to spend some time cleaning up my wardrobe.

So, are jeans + clean plain t-shirt/sweater fine for pre-clinical day-to-day? Should I be switching to jeans with a collared shirt a lot more instead?
Thoughts on striped slacks?
Should I buy khakis (or will slacks be fine)?
What about athletic clothes like a fleece or like a wool sweater?