Med School: Worth it for the chicks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted say how much I am enjoying this. So much better than handicapping rejections.

Members don't see this ad.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: tell em how it is sis.

:highfive:

I just do the damn thing. Happens all the time I'm not pulling out my hair and screaming every time someone says something that offends me. I'm not gonna start telling a stranger in line at starbucks to stop using slurs. I will tell someone in my small group to stop tho. Time and place, pick your battles and all that. If you're being disrespected all the time not saying something ends up being more tiring than saying something. Look at this we're on a forum where discussion happens. Perfect.

Exactly.

This is false. Clubs are perfect. All you need to do is dress well and know how to dance.
640px-Bacteriological_incubator.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
That snippet I quoted was just a quick example of your usual schtick. The tip of the nasty iceberg. And it was also a quote in which you were trying to justify the gross content of this thread with lame stereotypes. Earlier in this thread you were rating a girl as an 8 or 9 and speculating about her bra size. But in other threads you've been absolutely rampant and shameless in your misogyny. It's impossible to view it as irony because you never express any other attitude towards women. Just relentless sexism. I think it's disgusting.

So me rating girls at the bar who I will go talk to is misogyny now?

In reference to the bra size question, a previous poster asked me a question and I answered it.

I've actually been in many relationships so my attitude towards women is not all about boobs and looks. Just because I didn't volunteer that information doesn't mean that you can blindly form assumptions and expect them to be correct.

And if you think that I am being a misogynist/sexist because I dont treat slutty girls with the same level of respect as I do women of actual substance/values, then you have labeled an overwhelming majority of men as such.

2iuvuoz.gif

GandalfTheWhite & The Bunk in a few years.

So me rating girls at the bar who I will go talk to is misogyny now?

In reference to the bra size question, a previous poster asked me a question and I answered it.

I've actually been in many relationships so my attitude towards women is not all about boobs and looks. Just because I didn't volunteer that information doesn't mean that you can blindly form assumptions and expect them to be correct.

And if you think that I am being a misogynist/sexist because I dont treat slutty girls with the same level of respect as I do women of actual substance/values, then you have labeled an overwhelming majority of men as such.

Yep. Giving a woman a numerical score based on attractiveness is sexist. And I really don't want to restart that argument about "slutty girls," but you have noooooo idea how disturbing you are on that subject. I doubt "an overwhelming majority" of men agree with you, but if they did I would have no problem labeling them misogynists. (And you're making a fallacious appeal to popularity regardless.)

:clap::clap::clap::clap: tell em how it is sis.

Also

I just do the damn thing. Happens all the time I'm not pulling out my hair and screaming every time someone says something that offends me. I'm not gonna start telling a stranger in line at starbucks to stop using slurs. I will tell someone in my small group to stop tho. Time and place, pick your battles and all that. If you're being disrespected all the time not saying something ends up being more tiring than saying something. Look at this we're on a forum where discussion happens. Perfect.

Yeah shake your long back a little, some eye contact, should guarantee at least one number if you step to it.

This is a poor discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a line I've heard directly: On a scale from 1-10; what are you? :confused::confused::confused:

Ughhh that's just so gross.

I don't care if you are a man or a woman reducing anyone to a number is just creepy

Ughhh that's just so gross.

I don't care if you are a man or a woman reducing anyone to a number is just creepy
Agreed.

However, there's a second part to that: On a scale from 1-10; what are you doing tonight? :lame::lame::lame:

Agreed.

However, there's a second part to that: On a scale from 1-10; what are you doing tonight? :lame::lame::lame:

That was a question from one bro to another? In reference to having sex with a human? :lame:

So are we not supposed to recognize varying levels of attractiveness? Are we to simply say "everyone is equally as pretty" like it's kindergarten and the Tee Ball game is always a tie? I try to be politically correct, but that's just unrealistic. I know I am not Brad Pitt or Will Smith but I like to think I'm not Andre the Giant either.

No one is saying is wrong to pay attention to beauty. Hell im pretty shallow when it comes to sexual partners but I don't give girls or guys numerical ratings.

So are we not supposed to recognize varying levels of attractiveness? Are we to simply say "everyone is equally as pretty" like it's kindergarten and the Tee Ball game is always a tie? I try to be politically correct, but that's just unrealistic. I know I am not Brad Pitt or Will Smith but I like to think I'm not Andre the Giant either.

You're not supposed to assign a human being a numerical value based on physical appearance. I don't think that's too much to ask.

You're not supposed to assign a human being a numerical value based on physical appearance. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Couldn't help but laugh. Ok masta

That was a question from one bro to another? In reference to having sex with a human? :lame:
It's a surreptitiously, slick line in the conceited hopes of acquiring 2 types of digits at the same time. :lame:, indeed.

Couldn't help but laugh. Ok masta

:rolleyes: That was a rhetorical choice, echoing the way ChemEngMD started his question: "So are we not supposed to . . . "

We are biological creatures that have developed over thousands of years to find particular attributes physically attractive. Facial symmetry. Child bearing attributes in women. Child producing attributes in men. I feel that some people being more attractive than others is as natural as the tide and not recognizing that is some new age stuff that is just outside the realm of reality.

What are you arguing here? Yeah, attractiveness is variable and subjective. What is the connection between this and the dehumanizing effect of giving women numbers?

Definitely the whole idea of rating.

What are you arguing here? Yeah, attractiveness is variable and subjective. What is the connection between this and the dehumanizing effect of giving women numbers?

It's variable. It's subjective.

How do you measure a variable again?

I am arguing that due to attractiveness being variable and subjective, one must develop a manner in which to rate the level of attractiveness of a given individual....if not by number then would you simply prefer a color scale similar to the terrorist threat level? lol

I am trying to ascertain if it is the numeric system or simply the idea of rating someone's attractiveness that you find to be so offensive.

Why do you have to rate attractiveness? Why can't you just say "She's beautiful"? I think rating (numbers or color scale, lol) is an issue because it implies value, and that's problematic because it perpetuates the idea that a woman's worth is in her looks.

He's saying beauty is subjective - someone will be beautiful in one person's eyes and ugly in another. This value that you're worried about is subjective, it isn't absolute.

Having varying opinions on beauty is natural, there shouldn't be anything wrong with this.

He's saying beauty is subjective - someone will be beautiful in one person's eyes and ugly in another. This value that you're worried about is subjective, it isn't absolute.

Having varying opinions on beauty is natural, there shouldn't be anything wrong with this.

I'm sorry you don't get this. Even if it's just one person's opinion, the fact that they would even think they can reduce your value to a number is hurtful. Besides, since beauty is subjective it makes NO SENSE to give a person an objective score.

I'm sorry you don't get this. Even if it's just one person's opinion, the fact that they would even think they can reduce your value to a number is hurtful. Besides, since beauty is subjective it makes NO SENSE to give a person an objective score.
Then again, where do you think these 'broz' got/learned their ranking system from?

Exhibit: A , B

I'm telling y'all it's all a fashion contest/show.
:smuggrin:

EVERYONE judges people on their attractiveness, we can't help it. We find some people attractive, others not so much. This is a fact.

When we give someone a number for beauty, it is a method for us to communicate with someone else what WE THINK their beauty is to us. Since beauty is subjective (everyone's definition is unique) , objectifying our subjective thoughts is the only way we are able to communicate between two human beings. Beauty isn't simply a "yes" or "no" thing. You're thinking about this the wrong way.

Imagine rating a painting or drawing. You could say it's beautiful, but how could you compare multiple pieces of art to one another if the only variable you have is "yes it's beautiful" or "no it is ugly."

Also, I'm not sure about Chem, but I think we'd both agree that we are in no way implying that a woman's WORTH is completely comprised of her looks alone.

2vxh8hh.gif

I get what you're saying and I respect it and understand it. I wish it was something as simple as "she's beautiful," but when you are meeting many many people on a given day, week, or month you may see multiple people that you find beautiful, but not all as equally beautiful. So instead of turning it into an LSAT game and saying Maria is more beautiful than Shelly but less beautiful than Elise, etc., etc. ...it is easier to simply say Maria is a 7, Shelly is a 6 and Elise is an 8. It's a matter of making things simpler rather than equating their worth to a number system...Elise could be an 8 to me and a 4 to someone else or vice a versa...it's still subjective and variable.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:Why, though? Why do you need the numbers? Why do you need to rank women by beauty? How on earth does it simplify anything? You could always not do that at all and it would be much easier and not sexist. You could meet a bunch of women and think "Maria is interested in medicine. Shelly is a great writer. Elise has an awesome sense of humor." And of course they're each attractive in their own ways, but ranking them is utterly unnecessary.

I get what you're saying and I think you have a good point in that from a societal standpoint, it is constant that a woman's value is placed on her looks and that is messed up...but don't think it's a one way street. Men are under a lot of pressure to be fit and good looking as well. Male anorexia and eating disorders are highly under diagnosed and the pressure to look like Ryan Gosling or some heart throb is real.

Yeah, I agree that it's becoming more of an issue for men as well and that's no good. So you should know how it feels a little bit. I don't think what men face on this front is anywhere near as severe and systemic as what women put up with, but men are also subjected to their own set of unrealistic expectations. Stereotypes and sexism aren't helping anyone.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:Why, though? Why do you need the numbers? Why do you need to rank women by beauty? How on earth does it simplify anything? You could always not do that at all and it would be much easier and not sexist. You could meet a bunch of women and think "Maria is interested in medicine. Shelly is a great writer. Elise has an awesome sense of humor." And of course they're each attractive in their own ways, but ranking them is utterly unnecessary.

Yeah, I agree that it's becoming more of an issue for men as well and that's no good. So you should know how it feels a little bit. I don't think what men face on this front is anywhere near as severe and systemic as what women put up with, but men are also subjected to their own set of unrealistic expectations. Stereotypes and sexism aren't helping anyone.
This

741101_700b_v1.jpg

I think the men/bro's prefer a simplistic measuring stick. Player, The Game, Skyrim, Level, Rank, DYEL; c'mon, you can't entirely blame them. The lingo all sounds the same. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Above figure, also, possibly explains the whys of it's-never-a-great-idea-to-ask-the-opposite-gender-to-cover-the-tabs phenomenon.

EVERYONE judges people on their attractiveness, we can't help it. We find some people attractive, others not so much. This is a fact.

When we give someone a number for beauty, it is a method for us to communicate with someone else what WE THINK their beauty is to us. Since beauty is subjective (everyone's definition is unique) , objectifying our subjective thoughts is the only way we are able to communicate between two human beings. Beauty isn't simply a "yes" or "no" thing. You're thinking about this the wrong way.

No, you are thinking about this the wrong way. "Objectifying our subjective thoughts is the only way we are able to communicate between two human beings"? Are you even listening to yourself? If this is the only way you can think of to describe someone's beauty, then you are having a critical imagination failure.

Imagine rating a painting or drawing. You could say it's beautiful, but how could you compare multiple pieces of art to one another if the only variable you have is "yes it's beautiful" or "no it is ugly."

People don't rate paintings like that at all. They discuss them subjectively and they don't rank them comparatively. The only objective number assigned to them is the price someone is willing to pay to own them. Which should give you a clue about why it's so effed up to give a woman an objective number.

Also, I'm not sure about Chem, but I think we'd both agree that we are in no way implying that a woman's WORTH is completely comprised of her looks alone.

So then don't use a number system to describe her. Simple.

I think we are arguing about two different things.

I've been using beauty to mean physical attractiveness only.

You're beauty seems to be comprised of a woman's total worth, all qualities, exceeding physical attractiveness.

So basically, everyone is a 10 in their own special way.

I get what you're saying, but there has to be a point at which, all personality traits aside, you find some individuals to be more attractive than others and that is going to sway your overall evaluation of them.

I'm perfectly fine with a girl who says, "you know what, I can see how you would be attractive to some women, but ehh not for me." I get that and I don't find it offensive or sexist. It's just someone's opinion.

Holy ****. Why are you being so obtuse here? I'm not trying to argue that nobody is more attractive than anyone else. That's not offensive. It's the objective ranking system that's offensive. Like, maybe I think Womb Raider is slightly more annoying than you, but I don't need to be like "On my charm scale, Womb Raider is a 0.5 and ChemEngMD is a 1." It never needs to come to that.

I think we are arguing about two different things.

I've been using beauty to mean physical attractiveness only.

You're beauty seems to be comprised of a woman's total worth, all qualities, exceeding physical attractiveness.

No, when I say "beauty" in this conversation, I am definitely talking about physical attractiveness only.

Let's just be friends and call it a night, yeah? I need to get away from the Internet and watch last night's Breaking Bad already. (No spoilers!)

Haha +1

Funny night.

The Bunk said:
Like, maybe I think Womb Raider is slightly more annoying than you, but I don't need to be like "On my charm scale, Womb Raider is a 0.5 and ChemEngMD is a 1." It never needs to come to that.

It was my gifs, wasn't it?

Area code rating is vastly superior to the 1-10 system. Of course, I would never objectify a woman in such a way because I am a gentleman and only value their minds and inner beauty....

This thread is more toxic than Fukushima sushi

Hah, being attractive isn't some inherent trait. Go spend sometime in LA if you want to see how a woman can become attractive.

Anyone who puts some work into their appearance and physique can be relatively attractive.

Exhibit A:
reg_1024.katy.mkup.mh.053012.jpg

katy_perry_no_makeup.jpg

Obviously physical disfiguration or something changes things. But "being" attractive is more about the amount you care about your appearance.

Hah, being attractive isn't some inherent trait. Go spend sometime in LA if you want to see how a woman can become attractive.

Anyone who puts some work into their appearance and physique can be relatively attractive.

Exhibit A:

Obviously physical disfiguration or something changes things. But "being" attractive is more about the amount you care about your appearance.
Just sayin'.:p

Yep. Giving a woman a numerical score based on attractiveness is sexist. And I really don't want to restart that argument about "slutty girls," but you have noooooo idea how disturbing you are on that subject. I doubt "an overwhelming majority" of men agree with you, but if they did I would have no problem labeling them misogynists. (And you're making a fallacious appeal to popularity regardless.)

Oh really? In just this thread, most of the men have in someway admitted to using the rating system. And its not sexist to find one girl more attractive than another. Men use numbers for simplicity and convenience so that when they mention it to their guy friends, the relative attractiveness is already understood and it saves us time from having to use the whole "she is attractive because blah blah blah" speech for every single girl we talk about.

:thumbup:

No one is saying is wrong to pay attention to beauty. Hell im pretty shallow when it comes to sexual partners but I don't give girls or guys numerical ratings.

Okay so you find some guys hotter than others right? Its the same with men; we just rate them on how attractive we find them so other guys we talk to know our preferences.

Yea because girls never rank which guy they would hook up with in descending order right? :rolleyes:

So it's okay to be shallow and rate people in order of attractiveness as long as it's not a numerical system? Is this just because of issues people have with beauty pageants? Like I get how those are sexist and use the number scale so I could see how the scale could gain a negative connotation.

I'm just trying to understand :oops:
:laugh: :thumbup::thumbup:

Why do you have to rate attractiveness? Why can't you just say "She's beautiful"? I think rating (numbers or color scale, lol) is an issue because it implies value, and that's problematic because it perpetuates the idea that a woman's worth is in her looks.

Because men appreciate attractiveness? No one said that a woman's worth is ONLY in her looks. But you would be very naive if you think its not an important factor.

Why does it feel like you were never rated highly on that 1-10 scale?
Did people overlook your interests, hobbies, and personality because your number wasnt high enough for them?

Cute dog, but it doesn't forgive the posters login name

I'm surprised ppl on this thread haven't mentioned anything about it

I think it was noted and dragged on the last page

Yea because girls never rank which guy they would hook up with in descending order right? :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone ever implied that women are perfect and never do anything like that. I think The Bunk has said she disproves of it no matter who does it. I know just as many malicious women as I do men. No one on this thread so far has taken a stance like "MEN ARE SUCH PIGS I HAVE NEVER SEEN WOMEN DO THIS EVER :mad:"

On this topic tho there was this show on hulu dunno what it was called or if it is still there where batches of hot men and women would be ranked 1-5 by each other throughout the show by various criteria. I thought it was uncomfortable to watch maybe if I can find a link you'll see what were talking about when we say it's unnecessary and gross.

also the personal jabs on here are getting lower and lower D: "you're fighting so you're gonna get married?" the f*** are we in elementary school?

Last edited:
Why does it feel like you were never rated highly on that 1-10 scale?
Did people overlook your interests, hobbies, and personality because your number wasnt high enough for them?
Hey, :nono::nono::nono: