Med School's hard when you're single

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:rolleyes: Keep on thinking becoming a doctor will fix your personality, you will be sadly disappointed in the end to find out people care about more than your profession.

And you're not going to make that much money anyway. Not enough to have women flocking to you, sorry. Hugh Hefner may have enough money to make women forget he is old and dirty, but you won't as a doctor.

So true!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Korean female, and statements like that really creep me out. I specifically AVOID guys who seek out one race in particular.
Well it can't creep you out that much - after all, you just admitted that you're a Korean female to someone who has professed his obsession with Korean females! :)

I'm going to be quite frank and to the point here. I have never had a girl friend and I still don't know how to talk to women. I'm not reserved but around women I really don't know how to be "smooth" I have plenty of girl "friends" but have never had a "Girlfriend" if you guys get me.
Also, I don't want to settle for anything less than what I'm capable of. I realize i won't get a super model, but I want at least a pretty cute chick because I'm told I'm good looking.
The standard way to do it is by hinting. Ask a girl if she'd like to get lunch or coffee with you some time (but don't specify a time - that makes it easier for them to reject the offer). Most women will pick up on the fact that a guy they don't necessarily know that well is asking them to go one-on-one somewhere, and they'll know what that means. Obviously this won't work if you're best friends with the girl you want to date. Lastly, worry less about what you say and more about how you say it. Fancy pickup lines aren't necessary. Make sure you don't choke on your words (although some girls like that - it's the shy guy thing) but don't come off as an arrogant prick, either (although again, some girls like that).

If you need to will up the courage to ask a girl out, here's a tip: asking a girl out, even if she rejects you, will make her feel really good about herself. If you like a girl then you want her to be happy, yeah? So even in the face of rejection something positive comes out of it. Don't be afraid.

Lastly regarding appearance, don't worry too much about it. When I met my wife she was as plain as could be. She was a total academic and put zero stock in her appearance (aside from basic hygiene, of course). That wasn't what attracted me to her, of course - it was her personality. And if you're around a lot of other academics and/or those are the type of people you get into, you might find yourself in a similar situation.

But funny story about that - my wife (then brand-new-girlfriend) had pictures with friends as her computer screensaver, and one picture from her high school prom came up that made me nervous. There was this totally gorgeous girl there, one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen in my life, and I was worried about how I'd feel if I ever met her (which would likely happen - you meet your significant other's friends and they meet yours). Trying not to sound too interested, I idly asked her who that was. She laughed at me. You know who it was? Her! Since then I pushed her to change her default hairstyle a bit and experiment with makeup. All I have to say is, I'm glad I got to her before other guys discovered what a hot item she is! :laugh:

I'm going to be quite frank and to the point here. I have never had a girl friend and I still don't know how to talk to women. I'm not reserved but around women I really don't know how to be "smooth" I have plenty of girl "friends" but have never had a "Girlfriend" if you guys get me.

Oh and I'm not ugly or anything. In the face I would say above average but I'm pretty damn short 5'5" probably, thanks grandpa! :rolleyes:

I was told to read those pick up artist books, but who has time with Anatomy in my face?

Also, I don't want to settle for anything less than what I'm capable of. I realize i won't get a super model, but I want at least a pretty cute chick because I'm told I'm good looking.

Oh and sorry if any of that sounded cocky! :D

Moderator's Note: Because of the similarity of this thread with "Med school is hard when you're single" the two have been merged.

Don't read those pick up books.

If you're told that you are good looking by people other than your mom, then it's all about your personality that needs a little "fixin" (and don't blame your height either).

Be confident and assertive, but don't be cocky. Girls who like cocky over confident are usually young and inexperienced, or have some emotional issues. Better to avoid them.

You don't have to be "smooth." Life isn't a movie and sorry, you're never going to be as cool as James Bond because there's no one scripting everything perfectly for you. If you're a little awkward, embrace it. I know girls who love Michael Cera. Learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

Take initiative. I'm guessing you haven't taken much initiative, because if you did, you'd have a date by now. Ask a girl out on a date. Ask one, ask two, ask three. You may get rejected a 100 times, and that's OK. It's normal. Just keep trucking on. Practice makes perfect.

Try to be smart about it though. You might not want to ask classmates on dates, unless you want to deal with all the possible gossip and drama that comes with it.

And while you're doing that, continue working on yourself. Can you carry on an interesting conversation? Can you make people laugh? Do people like you when they meet you? Do you have a good personality? If not, develop it. Be honest with yourself. Make yourself into an interesting person that other people (including women, but not just women) find interesting.

This is all common sense, because common sense is all it takes to attract a girl. Women are not different species. It's not that hard, you just have to start taking initiative. One day you'll look back and wonder why you were so scared about the whole romance thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't read those pick up books.

If you're told that you are good looking by people other than your mom, then it's all about your personality that needs a little "fixin" (and don't blame your height either).

Be confident and assertive, but don't be cocky. Girls who like cocky over confident are usually young and inexperienced, or have some emotional issues. Better to avoid them.

You don't have to be "smooth." Life isn't a movie and sorry, you're never going to be as cool as James Bond because there's no one scripting everything perfectly for you. If you're a little awkward, embrace it. I know girls who love Michael Cera. Learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

Take initiative. I'm guessing you haven't taken much initiative, because if you did, you'd have a date by now. Ask a girl out on a date. Ask one, ask two, ask three. You may get rejected a 100 times, and that's OK. It's normal. Just keep trucking on. Practice makes perfect.

Try to be smart about it though. You might not want to ask classmates on dates, unless you want to deal with all the possible gossip and drama that comes with it.

And while you're doing that, continue working on yourself. Can you carry on an interesting conversation? Can you make people laugh? Do people like you when they meet you? Do you have a good personality? If not, develop it. Be honest with yourself. Make yourself into an interesting person that other people (including women, but not just women) find interesting.

This is all common sense, because common sense is all it takes to attract a girl. Women are not different species. It's not that hard, you just have to start taking initiative. One day you'll look back and wonder why you were so scared about the whole romance thing.

1) This entire novel can be summarized by the above bolded statement.
2) Go get some experience.
3) No amount of internet forum catharsis is going to help.

I'm jealous of the married students because they have a spouse to (generally) bring in income and help take care of the daily chores of life.

If you're not getting laid though, that has nothing to do with medical school...

No doubt there are people of the opposite gender in your class that feel the exact same way. Figure out who those people are (maybe most of the single ones?) and let the magic happen.

Well, you might want to restrict a little bit of the magic though. Not to be the pessimist, but an in-class relationship gone bad isn't going to be pleasant for anyone.

Anyway, OP, the posts telling you to stop bitching and do something about it are spot-on. If you're not okay with where you are, then it's time to pony up and start making some changes.

-Take the # of medical schools you applied to.
-Go to a place with loud music, alcohol, and potential for lots of women.
-Ask out that # of girls.

If medical school admissions are an indication of anything, hopefully you will have success w/ one of them.

other alternatives (I've never tried but they sound fun):

-speed dating
-craigslist
-touristy stuff (if you're in a new town)
-join and intramural team
-join a golf group
-community clubs
-tutor undergrads 1-2hr/week
-I'm guessing there are med students who are as lonely as you...so try to find them

...just don't get yourself killed by trying to be more outgoing

I think med school is hardest for people in relationships, then married, then single people have it easiest. At least when you're married there is cooperation.

I think med school is hardest for people in relationships, then married, then single people have it easiest. At least when you're married there is cooperation.

I don't know, I think married people have it tough to some degree because just look at how many people end up in divorce because spouses don't have time.

It's hard when you're married, too. One of my classmates likes to say that a wife is like taking another class. You need to devote more time to it, and you definitely don't want to fail.

It's hard when you're married, too. One of my classmates likes to say that a wife is like taking another class. You need to devote more time to it, and you definitely don't want to fail.

this is so true. :laugh: i have a live in gf and it's definitely tough haha.

I would disagree with this. I'm in a relationship and my g/f lives an hour away. We see each other about once every two or three weekends. It's really nice actually. I don't have to worry about looking for girls in my class (there aren't any good looking ones anyway) and it's not like I have much time to be going out looking for them. And again, in the small town I'm in there isn't much to be desired out there anyway.

We chat every night on the phone. I see her on weekends and it's a nice break from school.

Members don't see this ad :)
More like Herpe Island now.

Just saying I ve found my class to be pretty social overall.. there is always something social to do and people are meeting and dating eachother the first 1 or 2 terms... and we re on a crappy ass island; i can imagine it would be easier to be more social when you re actually in the US.. point is you cant blame your "situation" (ie med school) for your shortcomings.

this is so true. :laugh: i have a live in gf and it's definitely tough haha.

Live in GF is in the category of relationship, not married. Somebody in a relationship is looking out for themselves even if it is not in your best interest. Married people are much more likely to care about their SO. Being single gives you the most freedom, but the least amount of sex.

Look for events and gatherings on Twitter. I'm not on there, but my brother is a social media-holic, and he says that he could go to a party every night of the week via Twitter events. A lot of stuff is just open-invite, so it's not like you have to try hard to find out about these things.

For me, it was easiest being married. She made money, did the grocery shopping, and was there when I had a good day or a bad day.

OP: maybe its bc you're ugly?? :rolleyes:

Sitting here late at night contemplating that my life sucks right now. No girlfriend, no sex in a quite a while, spend most of my day alone studying, no one to cheer me up at night, I can just hug my pillow. This is not normal, my early twenties should not be spent alone, we need companionship, we were built for it. Ahhh this sucks, whatever, I guess I should just suck it up and hope something comes along one day.

So hook up with one of the girls at your school who is feeling the same way ;)

I know a girl at UCSF who has terminated all of her relationships because they encroach on her studying and professional development. She studies for months at a time alone, and rarely interacts with her family and closest friends anymore.

That's what I've been saying. Medcest is bad, mmkay?

Only if you're getting laid elsewhere. If it's been months then medcest starts looking really, really good.

I know a girl at UCSF who has terminated all of her relationships because they encroach on her studying and professional development. She studies for months at a time alone, and rarely interacts with her family and closest friends anymore.

Is she hot?

If you (not YOU penguin, just you as in - someone in general) are in a relationship at this age and there isn't cooperation to make it work, you should probably start looking for a new relationship. :confused:

For me, it was easiest being married. She made money, did the grocery shopping, and was there when I had a good day or a bad day.

Agreed. I love being married in med school. When I come home I don't have to talk about nephrons or sciatic nerves....because he doesn't care. Even if I make a horrible grade, he thinks I'm awesome and smart and tells me that. If I need someone to grocery shop, do laundry, wash the dog....he can help me. It's really a nice break. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Maybe we just have really super spouses. :)

Agreed. I love being married in med school. When I come home I don't have to talk about nephrons or sciatic nerves....because he doesn't care. Even if I make a horrible grade, he thinks I'm awesome and smart and tells me that. If I need someone to grocery shop, do laundry, wash the dog....he can help me. It's really a nice break. Wouldn't have it any other way.

For the rest of us, I guess that's why there are personal assistants.

You are not in a monastery or a convent. Get off campus and do something besides "crying in your ale" about what you don't have. If you don't believe that you are worth meeting someone, they are not going to want to meet you. If you were a "dud" with no social skills before you went to medical school, you will be a "dud' medical student with no social skills.

When I was in medical school, I had loads of friends and met tons of people. We were on a campus with happenings all of the time. Our school always had mixers with the dental school and the law school, thus there was no shortage of "meetable" people both in school and out. If you sit around "hugging your pillow", you are not out meeting people and doing things.

Hint: The world doesn't spin around you so get up, get out and see who is out there.

Hint: As for sex, well you can start interacting with "Hanna and her four sisters" or "Hans and his four brothers". You did this when you were in preschool so you know what to do. Good for stress relief. ;)

LOL, preschool? Are you serious? Some start really early I suppose. ;)

Maybe we just have really super spouses. :)

Then there are those of who are married to other medical people so guess what we talk about over dinner.

For the rest of us, I guess that's why there are personal assistants.

:rolleyes: you are having a personal assistant in med school? good luck with that.

Then there are those of who are married to other medical people so guess what we talk about over dinner.

LOL. There are a few couples in our class that are married to other med students and I've wondered if they talk about school and clinic a lot. Sometimes it could be useful, though. At least your spouse has to study a lot and you always have a study partner. My spouse has a "bid-kid job," so he doesn't have homework or studying on the weekends unless he wants to work on stuff from the job. There are ups to both ways.

Sitting here late at night contemplating that my life sucks right now. No girlfriend, no sex in a quite a while, spend most of my day alone studying, no one to cheer me up at night, I can just hug my pillow. This is not normal, my early twenties should not be spent alone, we need companionship, we were built for it. Ahhh this sucks, whatever, I guess I should just suck it up and hope something comes along one day.

This is going to be me in a year! :( and i already know it. I always put my career first but i hope i dont look back an regret it. i really dont want to settle for someone who is just wrong for me.. they say people should wait til they are 25 for serious relationships but i am only wasting away....

This is going to be me in a year! :( and i already know it. I always put my career first but i hope i dont look back an regret it. i really dont want to settle for someone who is just wrong for me.. they say people should wait til they are 25 for serious relationships but i am only wasting away....

Don't settle. Never, ever settle; that is something you will regret. In my past relationships, I've always known that even though we had a good thing, there was always something slightly amiss. I/we would try to work on that, but ultimately, if there's something that can't be resolved (or if someone's not willing to do what would be necessary to resolve it, as is generally the case), you are doing the other person a disservice by being with them, and they you.

I will also say that the most intense relationships I've had came about when I wasn't at all looking for one.

I will also say that the most intense relationships I've had came about when I wasn't at all looking for one.

Yea why are these things so unpredictable... Love is perhaps one of the most unpredictable inadjustable and furthest-from-objective things in life... And that's hard to fathom for a somewhat-type-A like me. why oh why can't i just pencil it into my planner and stick it in my 10 year plan like everything else?

Yea why are these things so unpredictable... Love is perhaps one of the most unpredictable inadjustable and furthest-from-objective things in life... And that's hard to fathom for a somewhat-type-A like me. why oh why can't i just pencil it into my planner and stick it in my 10 year plan like everything else?

Yeah I know right? I had a girlfriend for 3-4 years on and off and during that time I felt like girls flocked to me. Being single now going on 3 years, things have changed. I miss having that companionship and yes the one night stands and other little hook ups are nice, but it gets old quick. I'd say for the past year, every year I have met one girl that I actually liked on more than just a sexual level... and it seems that those are the girls that I end up doing everything wrong and screwing it up. I just had my 2009-2010 fling I think... I was/am dating a girl that I am really into, can act myself around etc. Went out on a few dates and everything seems to be fine until BAM won't return my text/calls. I really don't get woman, which is why I can't picture ever finding a girl without settling since the ones that I do like seem to like me for a while and then something weird happens and they don't :(

I really don't get woman, which is why I can't picture ever finding a girl without settling since the ones that I do like seem to like me for a while and then something weird happens and they don't :(

aww- she def owes you some sort of explanation...and I AGREE~ I feel like alot of people wait as long as they possibly can and then one day-probably after all their friends get married- they just get tired of it and settle for what ever they can get... (and hopefully wont get divorced)

& OMG that guy dances better than ME!!

that's cool but there's nothing creepy about someone who is attracted to a recent nationality or race. It's their preferene, maybe it's odd, but not creepy. k thx

Depends on the level of obsession. Preferring one over the other ok. I find the people that are so obsessed with a particular race/culture that it consumes them a little creepy. I know a girl that will only associate with Korean guys. She is learning korean. Watches korean t.v. Listens to Korean music. Cooks Korean food. Pretty much everything Korean. She is a little red headed ginger type from the deep south.

I was a German Lit major and spent a TON of time over there. I still see the value in other cultures (and my own).

Depends on the level of obsession. Preferring one over the other ok. I find the people that are so obsessed with a particular race/culture that it consumes them a little creepy. I know a girl that will only associate with Korean guys. She is learning korean. Watches korean t.v. Listens to Korean music. Cooks Korean food. Pretty much everything Korean. She is a little red headed ginger type from the deep south.

"The heart wants what the heart wants" Woody Allen

I was a German Lit major and spent a TON of time over there. I still see the value in other cultures (and my own).

I can speak from experience. It polarizes Koreans to where they either respond the way SMQ123 responded, or they...

funwithkoreans.jpg

[/image]

We were both like in awe of the other person and we had such a weird story! I was calling about a sublease on craigslist and lol we both became all happy and giggly. I knew it wasn't meant to be and I had to drive her away the next day because I am so shy and not at all the guy who I was on the phone! I never wanted her to find out I'm a boring nerd and have zero conversational skills, and it was just a fluke that I temporarily had a great personality over the phone that one particular day in my life.

Our phone call was real nice and she said I was such a nice, genuine guy for helping her with a legal question. We just started talking about random stuff, then she said something funny on the phone and I had to hang up so I could laugh at her! Then I learned she is Korean and I became hysterical and was like "OMG my first interaction with a Korean!" and lol, it was a once in a lifetime story and I'll never forget it. Just reading my old gmail with her made me start feeling all giggly again!

So the moral of the story is that there is no general rule as to how an entire group of people (Koreans) will reacts to whatever "label" someone gives me because it doesn't matter! I do have instant chemistry with all Korean I have ever interacted with, just because the fact they are Korean makes them naturally more curious about a guy they find interesting. Then I try to honestly get rid of them (pretty Korean girls anyway) because I find them intimidating and never want to feel rejected by any of them, then they start wanting validation or whatever and I'm like "no I'm serious, we must stop talking to each other!" lol, so yeah, this probably makes no sense or whatever, but I'll post this reply anyway and never revisit this thread so that no one kills my buzz...

:love: But now I honestly must choose between love (Stephany) and eccentricity (any future Korean) Seriously, you know the giddy feeling of falling in love? That is how Koreans make me feel too, and I might not ever know what the two feelings are like combined--i.e. falling in love with a Korean. Anyways, I think the best part is not knowing and my life will be like a quaintly unfulfilled yet fulfilling love story... The girl Stephany is honestly the sweetest, kindest, most gentle girl I have ever known in my entire life!

However, lol, I have learned from Stephany and Gee that I need to reverse my strategy if I want to fall in love with a Korean girl! I need to kick non-Koreans out of my life one day after I find out they aren't Korean and simply fall in love with everyone else, fml.
[ ] Lesson learned...
[ ] will lose Stephany because I don't deserve her yet fall in love again with non-Korean girl
1koflag.jpg
Either way, if my future wife is either a Korean or is Stephany with 50/50 odds, I should feel incredibly lucky and I do! So yeah, love me or hate me, I will always think Koreans are the best.

I can speak from experience. It polarizes Koreans to where they either respond the way SMQ123 responded, or they...

funwithkoreans.jpg

[/image]

We were both like in awe of the other person and we had such a weird story! I was calling about a sublease on craigslist and lol we both became all happy and giggly. I knew it wasn't meant to be and I had to drive her away the next day because I am so shy and not at all the guy who I was on the phone! I never wanted her to find out I'm a boring nerd and have zero conversational skills, and it was just a fluke that I temporarily had a great personality over the phone that one particular day in my life.

Our phone call was real nice and she said I was such a nice, genuine guy for helping her with a legal question. We just started talking about random stuff, then she said something funny on the phone and I had to hang up so I could laugh at her! Then I learned she is Korean and I became hysterical and was like "OMG my first interaction with a Korean!" and lol, it was a once in a lifetime story and I'll never forget it. Just reading my old gmail with her made me start feeling all giggly again!

So the moral of the story is that there is no general rule as to how an entire group of people (Koreans) will reacts to whatever "label" someone gives me because it doesn't matter! I do have instant chemistry with all Korean I have ever interacted with, just because the fact they are Korean makes them naturally more curious about a guy they find interesting. Then I try to honestly get rid of them (pretty Korean girls anyway) because I find them intimidating and never want to feel rejected by any of them, then they start wanting validation or whatever and I'm like "no I'm serious, we must stop talking to each other!" lol, so yeah, this probably makes no sense or whatever, but I'll post this reply anyway and never revisit this thread so that no one kills my buzz...

:love: But now I honestly must choose between love (Stephany) and eccentricity (any future Korean) Seriously, you know the giddy feeling of falling in love? That is how Koreans make me feel too, and I might not ever know what the two feelings are like combined--i.e. falling in love with a Korean. Anyways, I think the best part is not knowing and my life will be like a quaintly unfulfilled yet fulfilling love story... The girl Stephany is honestly the sweetest, kindest, most gentle girl I have ever known in my entire life!

However, lol, I have learned from Stephany and Gee that I need to reverse my strategy if I want to fall in love with a Korean girl! I need to kick non-Koreans out of my life one day after I find out they aren't Korean and simply fall in love with everyone else, fml.
[ ] Lesson learned...
[ ] will lose Stephany because I don't deserve her yet fall in love again with non-Korean girl
1koflag.jpg
Either way, if my future wife is either a Korean or is Stephany with 50/50 odds, I should feel incredibly lucky and I do! So yeah, love me or hate me, I will always think Koreans are the best.

dude i agree with the other person, you're coming off like you have an unhealthy obsession with korean ppl, and that email... quite awkward

I've had a lot of friends who have felt the way you are feeling and the best advice I can give is that if you were meant to be with someone right now you would be. You may be able rush sex but you can't rush a real relationship. I'm sorry you are having a hard time but things will get better--you just have to hold on a little while longer. Just think, she's out there somewhere and who knows, you may have already met her...;)

I really don't get woman, which is why I can't picture ever finding a girl without settling since the ones that I do like seem to like me for a while and then something weird happens and they don't :(

I feel for you. I get the same way sometimes.

funwithkoreans.jpg

[/image]

[ ] Lesson learned...
1koflag.jpg

I hope Stephanie dumps you after realizing what a douche you are. :rolleyes:

that's cool but there's nothing creepy about someone who is attracted to a recent nationality or race. It's their preferene, maybe it's odd, but not creepy. k thx

:laugh: Well said. Just "odd", not creepy in the least! :laugh::rolleyes:

Actually, it may be better this way, with no children to annoy you or relationship crap when the workload is actually overload. And a relationship can obstruct you, because of emotional junk.

When you become a doctor and you're making big bucks, trust me, girls will come flocking towards you, waiting in lines and taking number slips. Just endure it, everyone's time will come.

In fact, there's a song (forgot which), where it says that God always makes pairs - that for every person he will she will always have a second half and one day you will meet that second half. Marriages that suck or relationships that fail are because you got paired with someone who wasn't your match.

Your day will come. Everyone's will. Just wait for it, and with someone as special and awesome as you, who made it to medical school, you will definitely have someone waiting for you.

Cheer up man - all of it will be worth it one day. You'll see.

at least theres light at the end of the tunnel for guys...but what about us girls? will guys just flock to us once we start making the big bucks too? waht to do ? haha

This thread is annoying... its sad how many children are let into med school; total disconnect from normal people.:thumbdown:

Can the people who continue to harp on the "koreans"/"race" post go away.:thumbup:

This thread is annoying... its sad how many children are let into med school; total disconnect from normal people.:thumbdown:

Can the people who continue to harp on the "koreans"/"race" post go away.:thumbup:

There is nothing wrong with him liking koreans or for anyone to have any sort of inclination towards any race. What is wrong is the obvious emotional cheating that's going on. So where do you see the "total disconnect from normal people"? :eyebrow: Seems like a normal interpretation.

There is nothing wrong with him liking koreans or for anyone to have any sort of inclination towards any race. What is wrong is the obvious emotional cheating that's going on. So where do you see the "total disconnect from normal people"? :eyebrow: Seems like a normal interpretation.

Never said there was anything wrong with liking Koreans or any race... the people calling the guy wierd or creepy bc he thinks Korean girls are cute are ******ed; everyone has their own criteria for what they think is cute. Now if the guy was stalking the Korean girls in his class or peeking through their windows that would be very :scared: ... but him just thinking they re cute is not the big deal that people here are making it out to be.

Total disconnect bc some of the people here act like their stuck in a Siberian prison and have no way of talking to or meeting people outside of SDN; and that its med schools fault they have no friends or a gf/bf and not their own lack of social skills. Sure med school takes up more time than undergrad did but there are ample opportunities to meet people in and outside of your school.

It think it more of premeds building up med school to be end all be all answer to all their problems.. when the answer doesnt come they blame med school.

funwithkoreans.jpg

[/image]

[ ] Lesson learned...
1koflag.jpg

For some reason I get the feeling that this dude is building up his relationship with Stephany to be something greater than it really is; random person you talked to for 5 mins doesnt not equal GF.. I bet you Stephany bearly knows your name... bc no normal person thinks like you just demonstrated in your message.

Sure med school takes up more time than undergrad did but there are ample opportunities to meet people in and outside of your school.

Meet, sure. Sustaining a functional relationship, however, is a whole different animal.

As much of a drag as it is being in a committed relationship while you're in med school, and having to apologize for studying all Saturday long when you should be given a medal for numb buttcheeks instead, it must be worse being single. When you feel down or some prof is mean to you, there's nothing like having someone at the end of the day insult the nasty prof or tell you you're hot even though your skin looks like hell from all the coffee and chocolate you've had and you smell like a dead man.