Med schools that highly prioritize research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaverfordSquirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I heard that depending on the medical schools for which an undergrad applies, adcoms focus more or less on the applicant's research experience.
Do you know or have you heard about any middle/upper tier medical schools that select MD candidates with a more research-focused repertoire, relative to other med schools? (**I am not talking about MD-PhD**)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the top 15 prioritize research. The problem is you need the high stats that go with it.

Of the mid/low tiers that love research I can only think of Virginia Tech.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine with CWRU for sure is focused on research. Virginia Tech - Carilion Clinic also seems to be heavy on the research side of things.

Look up the US News ranking for research med schools.

Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, Duke, UChicago, NYU, Cornell, Northwestern, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and maybe one or two more that I'm forgetting.

Other schools appreciate it, but it's imperative you have research experience for these schools (unless you have some other amazing thing on your app, which 99.83734% of premeds don't).

Reactions: 1 users
I also think Oakland really likes research.