Med schools that look favorably on an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brose24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

New to sdn, thought I'd give this a shot because I've been researching for hours and I can't figure it out!! It seems like there is no easy way know what medical schools I'd have a chance for admission at given my non-traditional background.

The MSAR and all other resources only look at undergraduate GPA. So what do you do if you've done a Special Master's Program? How does that GPA factor in? i'm assuming both my cGPA and sGPA both still have to get past an initial screening which will vary by school... but what then?

For background, I graduated from UMich with a 3.2 cGPA and a 2.98 sGPA (major: molecular biology). Then I did Case Western's Medical Physiology SMP and got a 3.9 GPA.

Just took the MCAT and don't have the score back yet but my practice tests have been ~505. Extracurriculars are stellar.

Any advice would be super appreciated, thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll start off by saying I'm no expert.

Did you take classes with M1 students at CWRU? If so then getting 3.9 should look good/favorable and will help you get an II. Assuming you get a 505 you should be in good contention for DO schools (I'd imagine).

I imagine how med schools view SMPs largely depends on the reputation and the rigor of each program.

I appreciate the feedback!! Thank you! No there were only M.S. students in the classes with me. also I'm applying for MD programs not DO--Lol it kind of worries me that you assumed that. But yeah I guess I will just need to get in touch with an adviser and spend time digging into individual program requirements... thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 505 MCAT is more in the range of DO programs, I think that’s why it was assumed. Apply to some low tier MD and DO.

Reactions: 2 users
really? i figured it was above average so it wouldn't necessarily help or hurt my application... geez this is such a numbers game lol. thank you for the advice!

It’s not to say you won’t get it to an MD school, it’s just more likely at a DO school. There are many other factors. The average matriculated MD student has around 511, which may increase in the near future.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah my point wasn't that you can only get into DO schools but that you have a better chance.

If you're set on MD only then apply broadly, but a higher MCAT might be needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the amazing performance in your SMP. This is why it is dangerous to do a SMP without an MD competitive MCAT. You really are only competitive for DO with your MCAT. For others reading, DO schools can be reached much cheaper ways than a SMP.

I am concerned by the fact you spent $50,000+ to be able to apply to MD medical schools but don't know the median MD MCAT is around 511-512 and beating the median of MCAT test takers (500) means next to nothing.

Reactions: 1 users