med students dating residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoptoit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if residents are allowed to date med students. Is it just kept low key so no one knows or is it out in the open? What if the med student wants to go into the same field as the resident? And what about 3rd year - is it arranged so they are never on the same team for grade assignment and stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a couple of months, then check the Clinical Rotations forum. I guarantee there will be at least one or two threads about how to handle these kinds of relationships. There's a pretty solid consensus that it's inappropriate while one is involved in grading or supervising the other.

Do a search on it. SDN is chock full of entertaining threads on this topic.

it's pretty common, addressed before, but if grading is involved I would not do it. or wait until after the rotation is way over.

Listen, we are all in the hospital for hours, naturally we will be attracted to people we are around. No shame, just keep it professional.

hoptoit said:
I was just wondering if residents are allowed to date med students. Is it just kept low key so no one knows or is it out in the open? What if the med student wants to go into the same field as the resident? And what about 3rd year - is it arranged so they are never on the same team for grade assignment and stuff?

i was in that situation last summer. i wasn't even on his team, but i avoided flirtation like the plague no matter how much i wanted to do it because i didn't want him getting in trouble with his residency program. i say wait it out until you're not rotating through their specialty, or at least working under their direct supervision. ethics gets in the way when they can be evaluating you unfairly. it'll only be a matter of weeks before you're off their rotation, at which point it'll be okay to pursue them outside the hospital. if you're interested in their specialty, that can get tricky. maybe you can do those electives away?