Medical Assistant vs. Scribe vs. Autotransfusion Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplebond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people looking to apply for medical school often work as medical assistants or scribes to gain "clinical" experience, but it seems to me that these things are becoming part of the pre-med checklist making the experience less unique compared to what it used to be.

I recently came across a profession called autotranfusion technician/autotransfusionist. I believe it's an entry-level position, similar to scribing but with more clinical exposure as you get to work in the OR. Has anyone here ever worked as an autotranfusion tech or can shed some knowledge as to whether or not this would be a value and unique opportunity that I should try if I want to pursue med school? Or is autotransfusion tech better if I want to pursue perfusion school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well one thing to consider is that the purpose of clinical experience is to interact with patients and families. In the OR the patient isn’t awake usually and the families are in the waiting room. So I’m not sure how valuable it would be for your specific purpose.

Reactions: 1 user
My buddy does autotransfusion. If you can get it, do it.

Great money and easy work!

As the above poster said, very little meaningful interaction, although you will get to watch some cool surgeries.

I actually tell all of the premeds asking me for advice (a ton from my UG do now since I had good success with mediocre stats) that being a CNA will give you more to talk about. A scribe gets to “see more” and doesn’t have to clean feces, but a CNA can talk about compassion and having a heart for others and tell heartwarming stories about WWII vets.

That stuff is gold, IMHO, and the things you learn as a scribe aren’t going to be worth the time invested vs. clinical coming later.

But if you REALLY want a cool medical experience, do nursing as undergrad... ;) (Just joking. Mostly.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users