This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medical Degree and which extra degree

  • PhD

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PsycD

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MSW

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MA

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

SadNutellaGirl

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have a medical degree ( DO) and having hard time getting into psychiatry ( super competitive) . But really only thing I really enjoyed in my current family medicine residency is counseling others. However the thought of the all the years I have to spend in Phd or the amount extra debt I will be in due to PsyD is a bit daunting.

I was wondering if I became state licensed with my medical degree and got something like an MSW to practice psychotherapy with the ability to prescribe psych meds - would I be able to make more of salary than without that medical license. And maybe get a private practice? I know that Phd and PsyD make way more money....and with the $300,000 debt I have...I kind of need more to pay it off. My main concentration is counseling/ therapy and clinical practice- I am not that interested in research.

What other degrees would lead me to the counseling path with good career opportunities?
 
This is an interesting idea. I think one potential area of concern is how you'd market yourself to prospective clients without running into territory that's regulated by and getting into trouble with psychiatry boards.

I have no idea lol. I just know general practitioners can prescribe medications with medical license but with no board certification. Most likely in rural areas where there is a shortage of psychiatrists.
 
Can I vote for none? Before starting a second degree field have you thought about leveraging your current credentials into a less traditional job? You might be able to serve a primary care for a psychiatric population, day program, developmental disabilities, etc or counseling patients on health needs such as weight loss, smoking,etc.

What you are suggesting is a novel idea, but you might be very limited in regards to coding and malpractice. For the level of work you might go through, are you sure you can't get a second residency in psychiatry somewhere?
 
There is someone locally who received her
PhD and went back to becomes a nurse practitioner; she sees people for therapy and also prescribes meds. I don't know much more information about her, nor do i know if the bulk of her practice is psychopharm or therapy.