Medical degree plus MSW or better to get PHD/PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Degree and which extra degree

• PhD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PsycD

• MSW

• MA

• Total voters

SadNutellaGirl

Reaction score
Hi, I have a medical degree ( DO) and having hard time getting into psychiatry ( super competitive) . But really only thing I really enjoyed in my current family medicine residency is counseling others. However the thought of the all the years I have to spend in Phd or the amount extra debt I will be in due to PsyD is a bit daunting.

I was wondering if I became state licensed with my medical degree and got something like an MSW to practice psychotherapy with the ability to prescribe psych meds - would I be able to make more of salary than without that medical license. And maybe get a private practice? I know that Phd and PsyD make way more money....and with the $300,000 debt I have...I kind of need more to pay it off. My main concentration is counseling/ therapy and clinical practice- I am not that interested in research.

What other degrees would lead me to the counseling path with good career opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

This is an interesting idea. I think one potential area of concern is how you'd market yourself to prospective clients without running into territory that's regulated by and getting into trouble with psychiatry boards.

I have no idea lol. I just know general practitioners can prescribe medications with medical license but with no board certification. Most likely in rural areas where there is a shortage of psychiatrists.

Can I vote for none? Before starting a second degree field have you thought about leveraging your current credentials into a less traditional job? You might be able to serve a primary care for a psychiatric population, day program, developmental disabilities, etc or counseling patients on health needs such as weight loss, smoking,etc.

What you are suggesting is a novel idea, but you might be very limited in regards to coding and malpractice. For the level of work you might go through, are you sure you can't get a second residency in psychiatry somewhere?

Reactions: 1 users
There is someone locally who received her
PhD and went back to becomes a nurse practitioner; she sees people for therapy and also prescribes meds. I don't know much more information about her, nor do i know if the bulk of her practice is psychopharm or therapy.