Medical ECs and UConn BS/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UConn BS/MD - worth it?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No!

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

NightRunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN

I'm a soon-to-be-senior at high school in CT. I've been thinking about applying to UConn's SPiM (BS/MD) program, but I have some questions.

First off, the medical ECs. My grades and test scores are great, but I'm stuck on the medical ECs. I know they are pretty much mandatory. I was set on volunteering at a local hospital, but my brother did and the entire time he sat in a room, away from patients, screwing and unscrewing caps on pill bottles. I'm doing an EMT class but I'm sure the adcoms will want to see something clinical. So, what do most BS/MD "acceptees" have on their applications? Should I try shadowing instead of volunteering, so I get to see physicians and patients in the workplace? Do hospitals allow HS students into pathology labs or anything like that? (I'd love that)

Also, online I've seen EMTs mention they worked in EM Departments of hospitals in training as well as ambulance ride-alongs. Is this still a thing?

Lastly, a deeper question for med students and physicians: what do you think about BS/MD programs and/or UConn SoM? Is it bad to limit myself to UConn, or should I take the chance for instate tuition? I've looked at the requirements for the conditional acceptance and they are a little more slack than UConn SoM's averages.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is bad to limit yourself to UConn imo. A student able to get into a program like a BS/MD could most likely get into medical school as a traditional applicant, giving them more matriculant options and potential scholarship options due to a more impressive performance in college, should you keep your trend of excellent grades. If you want to let go in college and feel that this is your ship to take, hold on and don't let go.

Reactions: 1 user
UConn SOM recently overhauled their basic science years, and as an IS applicant it is making me uneasy even with the appealing tuition, but only time will tell.

As for undergraduate, UConn is a solid state school and the premed advisor(s) are very helpful. However, I myself wouldn't go for the BS/MD because it is really limiting. You can easily change your mind during college to something else, especially since UConn has you taking a lot of different and potentially interesting courses per their liberal arts style. If you stick with it, the requirements needed to continue to UConn SOM would be sufficient to get you an interview there (especially with their huge IS bias) anyway and many other well ranked schools, so you'd have a choice. I can't imagine my high school self making such a huge 8 year commitment, especially when you don't have to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My suggestion; go to UConn for undergrad, but don't pursue the SPiM. Keep your cost down by staying in-state and looking into merit scholarships (I believe they will still give you a hefty sum if you're the valedictorian / salutatorian). You can PM me for more details about UConn, but I believe the education is very solid and there is a fantastic premedical office that will help you achieve your medical school goal should you still choose to pursue it 3 years from now. You can always choose to pursue medical school at UConn and my guess is they'd probably love to have you, but you'll change a lot over the course of four years and I suggest keeping your options open.

As someone who did four years of an 8-year BS/MD before leaving for another medical school, I'll go against the grain here and say that the BS/MD program sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't worry about whether or not you change your mind - it sounds like it's designed to give you the regular 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, so you can opt to go for another career option if you realize you don't want to do medical school during those first few years (a handful of people in my program did just that). Certainly, if you choose to attend UConn, it sounds like there's no reason not to take it.

One thing that would possibly be helpful to know is whether you have to give up your seat if you choose to apply out - my program allowed us to keep our seats, but I know many do not. This wouldn't be a dealbreaker so much as that if you are allowed to apply out without losing your seat, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Having a guaranteed acceptance in your pocket makes the application process so much easier to bear, plus saves a lot of money since you can target your applications accordingly. If you do have to give it up, it's still worth considering doing, since that gives you a chance to decide whether you think you're competitive enough to apply out (and whether you want to).

As for applications... I don't think I had any hospital volunteering, and either I had a few afternoons of shadowing or none at all. I did, however, have some pretty extensive research experience. I have zero experience with applying to the UConn program, though, so I don't know what those program directors value.

@differentiating I believe the UConn program does require you to give up your guaranteed spot if you apply out.

They also require certain MCAT scores, medical experience, and an interview, so it's one of the more "conservative" BS/MD programs (I mean, at that point you're practically a normal pre-med applicant!).

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was your research like, and how did you get that oppurtunity?

@differentiating I believe the UConn program does require you to give up your guaranteed spot if you apply out.

They also require certain MCAT scores, medical experience, and an interview, so it's one of the more "conservative" BS/MD programs (I mean, at that point you're practically a normal pre-med applicant!).

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was your research like, and how did you get that oppurtunity?

My program also had required MCAT/GPA/ECs, so I think that's fairly typical for BS/MD programs. The medical schools don't want their numbers to suffer as a result of a BS/MD program. I think exact requirements (like interviews, numbers, etc.) are what differ from program to program.

As for my research, a local university had a summer research program that students could apply for, so I did research through that program and afterward. I don't think they expect anything unreasonable out of high school students, though, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.

I would highly recommend you pursue the BS/MD at UConn if your application is strong and you are serious about becoming a doctor (and strongly considering UConn SOM). I disagree with many of the posts above. I know kids that are in the program, it is a hugeeee stress relief knowing you have an in with the school. Also, because it is NON BINDING, you can apply freely to any other school when the time comes. This a huge advantage because you can consider UConn almost as a safety during the application process. The conditional requirements are challenging but doable, especially if you are the type of student that was selected to the prestigious program. You have nothing to lose by being in the BS/MD program, the challenge is getting in. Unfortunately I cannot give you much advice on that besides in my opinion being in state, top 5% of class, 95% SAT, leadership, volunteering, and a commitment to medicine (shadowing, clinical volunteering). UConn SOM is a great school that is well respected. In state tuition is huge. If you 100% want to become a doctor, a combined program only benefits you especially a non-binding program such as this one.

I turned down this program in high school. There wasn't a fancy name then... UConn was going to effectively pay me $18k a year to attend for UG since my merit grant was greater than my out of state tuition and room and board. The deal was amazing and I would have taken it had I not been lured by a full financial aid offer at an Ivy. I'm glad I didn't limit myself now bc I really unlocked my potential in college and went on to do a whole bunch of weird things I wouldn't have done as a combined student. The other thing was UConn med's location...just piss poor to me. But if you're used to CT suburbia then you know what it's like. Also I'm headed to New Haven now so CT still got its revenge on me lmao

Just apply. They only interview 9-10% of applicants, each class is like 15. It is non binding and if you get in you could always try the college thing out and see if you're competitive before you decide if you'll want to stay onboard. Don't worry about something you don't have yet, just focus on getting in

WRT the first question...the bar is not very high. I had some shadowing, one summer research at an Ivy (no outputs), and solid volunteering at library and senior center. You basically can only do shadowing as a minor and schools know this. You are expected to show your science chops in other ways beyond the classroom, though. That seemed to be a trend. Also make sure you actually put your EMT cert to use by finding a job and working. Otherwise, it's useless.

I turned down this program in high school. There wasn't a fancy name then... UConn was going to effectively pay me $18k a year to attend for UG since my merit grant was greater than my out of state tuition and room and board. The deal was amazing and I would have taken it had I not been lured by a full financial aid offer at an Ivy. I'm glad I didn't limit myself now bc I really unlocked my potential in college and went on to do a whole bunch of weird things I wouldn't have done as a combined student. The other thing was UConn med's location...just piss poor to me. But if you're used to CT suburbia then you know what it's like. Also I'm headed to New Haven now so CT still got its revenge on me lmao

Just apply. They only interview 9-10% of applicants, each class is like 15. It is non binding and if you get in you could always try the college thing out and see if you're competitive before you decide if you'll want to stay onboard. Don't worry about something you don't have yet, just focus on getting in

WRT the first question...the bar is not very high. I had some shadowing, one summer research at an Ivy (no outputs), and solid volunteering at library and senior center. You basically can only do shadowing as a minor and schools know this. You are expected to show your science chops in other ways beyond the classroom, though. That seemed to be a trend. Also make sure you actually put your EMT cert to use by finding a job and working. Otherwise, it's useless.

Unfortunately I cannot work in my town as an EMT until I am 18, but I plan to put in extra ER hours during my training. Also the nearby hospital network does not seem to allow shadowing (I'm calling different department's and asking) but a family friend who is an MD in private practice offered for me to shadow him.

Well that's what shadowing is-following docs. No need to call various departments. Shadow the friend and have him arrange with his doc friends for more. Also try volunteering in nursing homes, rehab centers or hospice facilities. You should be able to get some good clinical work. But don't forget to do some non clinical work too-homeless shelters, tutoring etc.. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app