Medical Scribe - How to frame on an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FruitCanal

Reaction score
I should start by saying I did not switch to dental because it was an "easier path"! I just found that medicine wasn't for me... after starting my scribing position. However, I still need the money and I want to be able to use the time I've spent here in my application if possible. I am also shadowing at a dental office in my spare time, and I can definitely say I love it! Is it worth mentioning that I am a medical scribe, considering that it is a paying job & I can back up my decision to pursue dentistry with experience in both dental and medical spaces? Or would this do more harm than good?

I was thinking of specifically stating that I started premed - (why else would I be a scribe?) - but noting that my first-hand experiences have strengthened my decision to pursue dentistry.

I've seen some older threads where people suggest to could leave it out entirely, but I just feel like it would be a waste given how much time I've spent at the job.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t specifically mention being pre-med. I would simply say it was a job to make money while also gaining experience in a healthcare environment. I definitely wouldn’t leave it out, as working long term at any position demonstrates commitment, responsibility, etc. Don’t overthink it.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked as an ER scribe for a year and ER tech for 1.5 years before applying to dental school. No reason to say anything about how you were pre-med, but definitely don’t leave it out of the application. It makes you a unique applicant! Just show what you’ve learned from it:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did the same thing. As above stated, forget ever saying pre-med anywhere ever. When talking about scribing, it was a job, that hopefully taught you some cool stuff. You never need to justify a job ha (well, almost never)

Reactions: 1 user
I should start by saying I did not switch to dental because it was an "easier path"! I just found that medicine wasn't for me... after starting my scribing position. However, I still need the money and I want to be able to use the time I've spent here in my application if possible. I am also shadowing at a dental office in my spare time, and I can definitely say I love it! Is it worth mentioning that I am a medical scribe, considering that it is a paying job & I can back up my decision to pursue dentistry with experience in both dental and medical spaces? Or would this do more harm than good?

I was thinking of specifically stating that I started premed - (why else would I be a scribe?) - but noting that my first-hand experiences have strengthened my decision to pursue dentistry.

I've seen some older threads where people suggest to could leave it out entirely, but I just feel like it would be a waste given how much time I've spent at the job.

I am a medical scribe while i wait for dental school to begin. I scribe for 4 doctors and see roughly 50 patients per day. So when I interviewed, I mentioned that it has given me perspective on how medical offices are run since I don't only scribe, but deal with all the workings of an office and am the glue and direct connection between the office manager and the doctor. I also played the idea that it has given me great experience to see how medical professionals interact with each patient and that I've learned good and bad from them to help me decide how to be the best medical professional I can. Also, there's the obvious experience in charting and although dental charts are different, the basic idea is there, so I have extensive knowledge in prescriptions, diagnoses, disposition writing, procedure requests through insurance, HPIs, and like neurological or physical exams.

I didnt put it in my application at all. If you have many dental experiences imo it does not add to your application, but thats just my opinion and I realize it I am a minority. Leaving it out is not lying on your application.If you MUST putit on there I would call it medical documentation or something other than "scribe"

Sure it may show why you desire to be a dentist more than physician or it may show that you saw what medicine is like and it may help with some adcoms but the majority of adcoms know what medical scribing means. It is becoming synonymous with premed.

If you have lots of dental experiences it will help you a lot more than mentioning scribing. I was a medical scribe and scribe trainer for almost 2 years and I learned a ton but I chose to leave it out because I didnt want to take the risk.

I don't see any risk. People change their minds, reevaluate things, or simply move forward. Dentistry is not religion, or a calling. People change those things to BTW. Just put it in. No explanation necessary.