This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraj34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in scribing in a dermatology office or a private practice. The only scribing company I know of is Scribeamerica. If I were to apply to Scribamerica for example, could I be assigned to a dermatology office? Also for anyone who has worked here, what was your experience working for Scribeamerica?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! ScribeAmerica is simply the contracting company and it would be up to the respective dermatology practice to request scribes through them. To answer your question simply, it is possible, but I'm not sure if derm is a common specialty requesting scribes through SA.... I've heard of derm office scribes but commonly they seem to just seek their own candidates.

As far as working for SA, your experience depends heavily on the MDs you work with, your chief scribes, and your associates. My experience was wonderful, albeit very busy and you are somewhat underpaid for what is expected of you. However, I've read of horror stories here on SDN so as I stated, it really depends on your independent situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! ScribeAmerica is simply the contracting company and it would be up to the respective dermatology practice to request scribes through them. To answer your question simply, it is possible, but I'm not sure if derm is a common specialty requesting scribes through SA.... I've heard of derm office scribes but commonly they seem to just seek their own candidates.

As far as working for SA, your experience depends heavily on the MDs you work with, your chief scribes, and your associates. My experience was wonderful, albeit very busy and you are somewhat underpaid for what is expected of you. However, I've read of horror stories here on SDN so as I stated, it really depends on your independent situation.
Why applying to SA do you get to choose where you go to work or you just assigned somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can find a site map from ScribeAmerica's website under "about" and "locations" (can't post link :()

The map for New York is very busy, but there is potentially a dermatology location (could also be ENT). Mostly Emergency Medicine in NYC, but overall a decent range of specialties. I don't work in NY, but for me it's not a bad gig. Pay isn't great, but the clinical exposure is invaluable.

I scribe in an emergency department. The training for the job is honestly BS and the job gets old pretty fast. I do not recommend scribing while taking classes. To my understanding most locations require quite a bit of availability for scheduling, and juggling scribing (9-12 hour shifts, at least several time per week) usually comes with reduced schoolwork/study time. If you think you can handle balancing the two, or are on a gap year, go for it. You can find other threads, but the ultimate experience you have with the company boils down to local management. FYI scribeamerica is probably not that different from other scribe companies.

Pros for scribing:
Scribing is great for clinical experience while also getting pay. It is also employment, which looks good on applications. Building rapport with physicians is awesome, especially if you are fishing for LOR's. You will learn a lot as a scribe; you are getting direct insight into the medical decision making process.

Cons:
Pay is very 'meh'
Usually a large/intense time investment.
Experience depends heavily on local management (could be good or bad).
Job can get repetitive quick.
In my exposure, burn out is very high. Most scribes at the hospital I work at last about 3 months.
The fall is going to be my last semester, and I will only be taking molecular biology (with lab) . Could I still do Scribeamerica part-time or do you suggest waiting until the end of the fall semester to apply?

The fall is going to be my last semester, and I will only be taking molecular biology (with lab) . Could I still do Scribeamerica part-time or do you suggest waiting until the end of the fall semester to apply?

With a single class, you could definitely scribe at the same time. Just be sure to put your classwork first and be strict with your schedule. I have heard of various sites that ignore school/class time when scheduling, so don't let your site try to take advantage of you if you decide to go for the job.

Reactions: 1 user
I just looked through ScribeAmerica's internal job search site, and there are very few positions for scribes in New York, and unfortunately none are currently Dermatology. Like @Jdp00921 said, it may be a better idea to approach the dermatology clinics expressing interest in scribing. Every site has on-site training as a scribe anyway, so it might be worth a shot to inquire independently.
When I go on ScribeAmerica's website I only see the location where jobs are available. How did you find out what specialties were hiring?