Medical scribe question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raffertk9181

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was recently offered a position as a medical scribe for this semester. The problem is that I am currently studying for the MCAT, which I take at the end of April, and I am worried that I just won't have time between classes and studying to work as a scribe. My question is, is the job worth it? I think I would really enjoy it but not at the expense of getting a good MCAT score. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with above, I had 2 friends in undergrad that tried to do something similar to you and it did not end well for them, they ended up having to retake the MCAT and had to apply a year later. Definitely not worth it.

If it's because you have no clinical experience then I would just find a volunteer gig that you can do 3-4 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe you can explain the situation to the hiring manager for the scribe company and see if you can start after your MCAT? Scribe jobs are almost made entirely of pre-meds so they might accommodate your request.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT is way more important. Do no sacrifice that, just keep plugging along and be patient, you'll be able to have patient encounters etc as soon as it's done.

Medical scribing is good, tell the manager to please keep you in mind. IMHO opportunities always come along, so maybe there is something better ahead.