Medical Specialty Aptitude Test!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 gastroenterology 49
2 colon & rectal surgery 47
3 radiation oncology 47
4 med oncology 45
5 ophthalmology 45
6 obstetrics/gynecology 45
7 neurology 43
8 urology 43
9 thoracic surgery 43
10 general surgery 43

Is it just me, or did a lot of the questions repeat? I was mostly randomly chosing answers rather than thinking about them.
 
megboo said:
reconstructive palstic surgery is pretty noble. That picture of the cat-lady with the bad plastic surgery makes me want to steer clear of plastics all together though.

That and all the nasty celebrity boob-jobs.

This is true. I couldn't do the phoney cosmetic stuff though. Oh man.
The shallowness in there - I'd run away faster than lightning from doing that all day every day. Honestly - I wouldn't be able to call myself a doctor doing that.
 
Orthodoc40 said:
This is true. I couldn't do the phoney cosmetic stuff though. Oh man.
The shallowness in there - I'd run away faster than lightning from doing that all day every day. Honestly - I wouldn't be able to call myself a doctor doing that.

I think only plastic surgeons and the people they serve really think they are worth anything (I mean the ones who do purely cosmetic procedures only). They remind me of car dealers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 pediatrics 46
2 dermatology 46
3 general surgery 45
4 urology 45
5 radiation oncology 45
6 nuclear med 44
7 hematology 44
8 gastroenterology 44
9 rheumatology 43
10 colon & rectal surgery 43
11 radiology 43
12 plastic surgery 43
13 ophthalmology 43
14 psychiatry 42
15 anesthesiology 42

I'll take derm 🙂
 
Orthodoc40 said:
Darn it!

I've taken that test 2x and both times it lists plastic surgery as #1...
I gotta figure out how to rig it just so....because I don't wanna go into plastic surgery - geech! And neurosurgery as #2?? God - I'll be dead by the time I finish residency!! :laugh:

:laugh: I took the test twice too and both time physical med & rehab came out on top... sounds boring to me though.
 
1 pediatrics 47
2 dermatology 47
3 rheumatology 46
4 med oncology 45
5 infectious disease 44
6 gastroenterology 44
7 family practice 44
8 pathology 44
9 psychiatry 44
10 ophthalmology 43
11 hematology 43
12 nephrology 43
13 neurology 43
14 radiation oncology 43
15 nuclear med 42

Hmm...My number one was #13! Although peds is not that bad and derm would be sweeeet.
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 physical med & rehabilitation 49
2 pathology 49
3 rheumatology 48
4 pulmonology 48
5 infectious disease 48
6 hematology 48
7 nephrology 47
8 endocrinology 47
9 neurology 47
10 neurosurgery 47

Wow... physical med #1, and pathology #2? I thought I answered all the questions pretty accurately about myself, and I DEFINITELY don't have a pathology kinda personality. The only thing somewhat close to my interests is neurosurgery :scared:
 
I think the fact that my answers indicated that I have interests outside of medicine, and that I value time away from work, may have skewed my results!
 
danjo said:
I think the fact that my answers indicated that I have interests outside of medicine, and that I value time away from work, may have skewed my results!

Yeah, me too. I think there was a question about being responsible for results (and liability crossed my mind, so I gave that one a 2) and I got all of the low risk fields... pm&r, derm, psych, occupational med
 
jillibean said:
Yeah, me too. I think there was a question about being responsible for results (and liability crossed my mind, so I gave that one a 2) and I got all of the low risk fields... pm&r, derm, psych, occupational med

Yeah - The time away from work thing is what probably pushed all of the surgical specialties down the list for me!
 
jillibean said:
Yeah, me too. I think there was a question about being responsible for results (and liability crossed my mind, so I gave that one a 2) and I got all of the low risk fields... pm&r, derm, psych, occupational med

How did Ob/Gyn and Anesthesiology place for you? :laugh:
 
Haemulon said:
You know, I indicated a preference for time away from work too. While general surgery was down at the bottom for me though, plastics ranked #4. Go figure.

Very interesting! I wonder if their lifestyle is that much better. 😕
 
megboo said:
A few boob jobs per day at $4K or more a job can be a nice salary and the surgeries are not too long 😉 Not to mention nose jobs, botox, eye jobs, turkey neck jobs, etc.

:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took it again. My top 3 stayed the same (radiology, path, and neurology), although rad and neuro switched places. Very interesting. Plastics fell to the middle, but gen surg and fam practice stayed at the bottom.
 
1 radiology 46
2 psychiatry 45
3 occupational med 45
4 physical med & rehabilitation 44
5 pathology 44
6 neurology 44

Radiology, yes of course. Psychiatry!!!!??!?!?!?! How in the hell did that get up there? At least path and neuro are there.
 
1 physical med & rehabilitation 48
2 med oncology 48
3 psychiatry 47
4 hematology 46
5 nephrology 46
6 aerospace med 45
7 preventive med 44
8 rheumatology 44
9 allergy & immunology 44
10 radiation oncology 43
11 neurology 43
12 infectious disease 43
13 emergency med 43
14 dermatology 43
15 endocrinology 42
16 general internal med 42
17 neurosurgery 42
18 occupational med 42
19 thoracic surgery 42
20 pediatrics 42
21 pathology 41
22 orthopaedic surgery 41
23 obstetrics/gynecology 41
24 urology 41
25 plastic surgery 41
26 family practice 41
27 ophthalmology 40
28 nuclear med 39
29 radiology 39
30 colon & rectal surgery 39
31 pulmonology 39
32 otolaryngology 38
33 gastroenterology 37
34 anesthesiology 36
35 general surgery 36
36 cardiology 35


This test is idiotic. I expected in to skew towards FM, maybe have my choice (EM) at four or five, but physical med & rehabilitation? Hematology? Nephrology, fer Chissake? They need a better algorithym.
 
Haemulon said:
I just took it again. My top 3 stayed the same (radiology, path, and neurology), although rad and neuro switched places. Very interesting. Plastics fell to the middle, but gen surg and fam practice stayed at the bottom.

haha, you took it again? THAT dissatisfied w/ your results huh?
 
QuikClot said:
1 physical med & rehabilitation 48
2 med oncology 48
3 psychiatry 47
4 hematology 46
5 nephrology 46
6 aerospace med 45
7 preventive med 44
8 rheumatology 44
9 allergy & immunology 44
10 radiation oncology 43
11 neurology 43
12 infectious disease 43
13 emergency med 43
14 dermatology 43
15 endocrinology 42
16 general internal med 42
17 neurosurgery 42
18 occupational med 42
19 thoracic surgery 42
20 pediatrics 42
21 pathology 41
22 orthopaedic surgery 41
23 obstetrics/gynecology 41
24 urology 41
25 plastic surgery 41
26 family practice 41
27 ophthalmology 40
28 nuclear med 39
29 radiology 39
30 colon & rectal surgery 39
31 pulmonology 39
32 otolaryngology 38
33 gastroenterology 37
34 anesthesiology 36
35 general surgery 36
36 cardiology 35


This test is idiotic. I expected in to skew towards FM, maybe have my choice (EM) at four or five, but physical med & rehabilitation? Hematology? Nephrology, fer Chissake? They need a better algorithym.


Or maybe you should change your plans? :meanie: j/j
 
Duckwizard said:
haha, you took it again? THAT dissatisfied w/ your results huh?

:laugh: No, they are actually fields that I was already very interested in. Just curious about how repeatable it was. (I have been trying to talk myself out of path though ... I have been around all those toxic chemicals for so long that i'm sure my organs are starting to dissolve.). But hey, whats another 30 years of formalin for a good cause right?
 
1 occupational med 47
2 emergency med 47
3 physical med & rehabilitation 46
4 pediatrics 45
5 preventive med 45
6 dermatology 45
7 general internal med 45
8 gastroenterology 44
9 otolaryngology 44
10 orthopaedic surgery 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Off to the ER for me.... 🙄
 
1 pediatrics 47
2 med oncology 46
3 family practice 44
4 radiology 44
5 psychiatry 43
6 preventive med 43
7 aerospace med 43
8 dermatology 43
9 nephrology 42
10 physical med & rehabilitation 42
 
I don't see why they even bothered to re-word the repeating questions. Make them seem like new? Hopefully anybody approaching medical school can see through that. 😀

Bolded subjects are things I've personally, as a pre-pre-med, found to sound interesting based on several different criteria, though not necessarily in that order. Except for maybe ortho due to lifestyle. 😛

1 radiology 43
2 nuclear med 42
3 physical med & rehabilitation 41
4 pathology 41
5 infectious disease 41
6 hematology 41
7 gastroenterology 41
8 endocrinology 41
9 allergy & immunology 41
10 radiation oncology 40
11 rheumatology 40
12 pulmonology 40
13 neurology 40
14 obstetrics/gynecology 40
15 thoracic surgery 40
16 psychiatry 39
17 occupational med 39
18 plastic surgery 39
19 neurosurgery 39
20 pediatrics 39
21 dermatology 39
22 general internal med 38
23 nephrology 38
24 med oncology 38
25 aerospace med 38
26 preventive med 38
27 urology 37
28 colon & rectal surgery 37
29 anesthesiology 37
30 emergency med 36
31 cardiology 35
32 otolaryngology 35
33 ophthalmology 35
34 general surgery 34
35 family practice 34
36 orthopaedic surgery 33
 
1 thoracic surgery 47
2 plastic surgery 47
3 orthopaedic surgery 47
4 cardiology 46
5 neurosurgery 46
6 colon & rectal surgery 45

I'm going to bookmark this survey and try it again in two years to see how much it changes.. thanks for posting it.
 
When I put "least true" for everything, here's what I got:

1 urology 10
2 thoracic surgery 10
3 general surgery 10
4 radiology 10
5 psychiatry 10
6 preventive med 10
7 occupational med 10
8 aerospace med 10
9 plastic surgery 10
10 physical med & rehabilitation 10
11 pediatrics 10
12 pathology 10
13 otolaryngology 10
14 orthopaedic surgery 10
15 ophthalmology 10


Lesson: If you aren't good at stuff and don't like anything, become a urologist. 👍
 
1. Thoracic surgery
2. General surgery
3. Orthopaedic surgery
okay...surgery..what a long survey that asked the same questions. Oh, and what..aerospace med?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just thought I'd resurrect a fun thread for those of you that have not seen it before! Enjoy!
 
1. This test is pretty much bunk until you're late in medical school, b/c you have no idea how much these things are important to you.

2. That said, I think it's pretty funny how people say "this test is stupid" b/c it doesn't rank their preferred specialty high enough, maybe that means you should keep an open mind?

3. I took that thing as a pre-med and was all over the place, I think like oncology and derm were my highest. As a 3rd year when I actually knew how to answer some of the questions my 1st and 2nd choices were exactly the specialties I'm interested in.
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 endocrinology 49
2 neurosurgery 47
3 physical med & rehabilitation 47
4 allergy & immunology 47
5 ophthalmology 46
6 gastroenterology 46
7 hematology 45
8 neurology 45
9 general internal med 45
10 emergency med 45
11 nephrology 44
12 plastic surgery 44
13 pediatrics 44
14 urology 44
15 general surgery 43
16 radiology 43
17 infectious disease 43
18 dermatology 43
19 family practice 42
20 cardiology 42
 
its a cool idea, but i dont understand repeating the same 10 basic questions over and over again

to test for consistency. it probably gives the repeated questions a certain level of importance/applicability based on how consistent your answers are.
 
1 nuclear med 41
2 radiology 40
3 pulmonology 40
4 neurosurgery 39
5 infectious disease 39


hmm...
 
1.Dermatology 49
2.Radiation Oncology 46
3.Rheumatology 46
4.Radiology 45
5. Pediatrics 44


Pediatrics was one of my interests, along with cardiology which came in at number 33.
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 pathology 45
2 neurology 43
3 plastic surgery 43
4 ophthalmology 42
5 nuclear med 42
6 dermatology 42
7 gastroenterology 41
8 urology 41
9 radiology 41
10 psychiatry 40
11 thoracic surgery 39
12 otolaryngology 39
13 endocrinology 39
14 infectious disease 38
15 general internal med 38
16 allergy & immunology 38
17 neurosurgery 38
18 pulmonology 38
19 general surgery 38
20 occupational med 38
21 colon & rectal surgery 37
22 anesthesiology 36
23 cardiology 36
24 physical med & rehabilitation 36
25 preventive med 36
26 rheumatology 36
27 obstetrics/gynecology 36
28 orthopaedic surgery 34
29 hematology 34
30 radiation oncology 34
31 emergency med 33
32 nephrology 33
33 pediatrics 33
34 aerospace med 32
35 med oncology 31
36 family practice 25


The funny thing is that the top specialties according to the test are the ones I've been considering. 😀 I tend to be very detail oriented and like to see "tangible results." I'm also more of an independent/loner when it comes to working.

I was surprised though, that family practice was the last one on the list, instead of pediatrics!! 😱
 
Interesting Test -- I missed this thread when it was first posted. My results were pretty much as I expected, but I didn't expect Radiology and Nuclear Med. to be my numbers 1 and 2 (though I'm not surprised they're in my top 10.) At least Derm., my current favorite specialty du joir is in my top 5, according to that test (my other two current favorites are Neurosurgery and Urology, which are also there.)

1 radiology 46
2 nuclear med 46
3 neurosurgery 45
4 gastroenterology 45
5 dermatology 44
6 urology 44
7 allergy & immunology 43
8 emergency med 43
9 pulmonology 43
10 endocrinology 42
 
1 Neurosurgery 45
2 Thoracic Surgery 45
3 Infectious Disease 45
4 Plastic Surgery 44
5 General Surgery 43


Ha! My top choice is actually my goal...if only I can get into it
 
1 thoracic surgery 48
2 physical med & rehabilitation 48
3 hematology 48
4 neurosurgery 47
5 nephrology 47
6 infectious disease 47
7 allergy & immunology 47
8 pathology 47
9 plastic surgery 47
10 occupational med 47

I put 1-10 because my score was the same for many of them. Odd, I want to go into pediatrics (24 on my list), and I am interested in cardiology (33rd) and oncology (14th). It will be interesting to retake this in a few years...
 
me:
1 aerospace med 47
2 preventive med 45
3 thoracic surgery 44
4 neurology 44
5 nephrology 43
6 emergency med 43
7 occupational med 42
8 pathology 42
9 nuclear med 42
10 psychiatry 41

I can sort of see some of that list (minus psych!! YUCK. And uh... some of those, I don't know what they are...). They captured the type A thing pretty well.

But more than the above, I *heartily* agree with the below, the "worst 3":
34 colon & rectal surgery 29
35 anesthesiology 29
36 pediatrics 22

YUCK!
 
1 anesthesiology 43
2 dermatology 42
3 otolaryngology 41
4 ophthalmology 41
5 radiation oncology 41
6 general surgery 40
7 plastic surgery 40
8 colon & rectal surgery 40
9 nephrology 40
10 gastroenterology 39


hmmm. no primary care for me....
 
Wow thats long - I can't believe anyone would take that more than once.

What would be interesting would be for us pre-meds to retake it end of our 3rd year once we've had real patient exposure. I'm guessing it would change a lot.

Anyway, heres mine:

1 physical med & rehabilitation 46
2 rheumatology 45
3 emergency med 43
4 occupational med 43
5 pediatrics 42
6 ophthalmology 42
7 general internal med 42
8 family practice 41
9 dermatology 41
10 infectious disease 41
11 hematology 41
12 obstetrics/gynecology 41
13 pathology 41
14 otolaryngology 41
15 radiology 41
16 urology 40
17 neurology 40
18 gastroenterology 40
19 endocrinology 40
20 nephrology 39
21 anesthesiology 39
22 neurosurgery 39
23 orthopaedic surgery 39
24 thoracic surgery 39
25 plastic surgery 39
26 aerospace med 38
27 nuclear med 38
28 radiation oncology 38
29 colon & rectal surgery 38
30 pulmonology 37
31 preventive med 37
32 med oncology 36
33 allergy & immunology 36
34 cardiology 35
35 general surgery 35
36 psychiatry 35
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 plastic surgery 45
2 nuclear med 45
3 neurosurgery 44
4 pathology 44
5 urology 44
6 thoracic surgery 43
7 general surgery 43
8 radiology 43 (Interventional)
9 neurology 43
10 anesthesiology 43
11 allergy & immunology 43
12 colon & rectal surgery 42
13 infectious disease 42
14 nephrology 42
15 gastroenterology 42
16 otolaryngology 42
17 orthopaedic surgery 42
18 preventive med 42
19 obstetrics/gynecology 41
20 pulmonology 41
21 occupational med 40
22 aerospace med 40
23 psychiatry 40
24 physical med & rehabilitation 39
25 ophthalmology 39
26 endocrinology 39
27 cardiology 39
28 dermatology 39
29 emergency med 38
30 hematology 38
31 rheumatology 38
32 radiation oncology 37
33 general internal med 36
34 family practice 36
35 med oncology 36
36 pediatrics 34

Nuclear Medicine don't know much about, Pathology and Urology no thanks. The only thing that I wish was higher ranked was ortho.
 
a little piece of advice from someone who is working with an adcom: don't put anywhere on your application that you plan to be some suburban orthopod or radiologist working 30 hours per week. i don't care how many ACL surgeries you've had or even how much research you've done as an undergrad. tell everyone you plan on working in an underserved area doing primary care in whatever field you choose. we have docs on the adcom who see "i plan on doing lifestyle specialty x, y, or z in suburbia with 2.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence" and immediately throw that app in the trash. just a little suggestion...
 
Neurosurgery, thoracic surgery, and pulmonology were my first three...maybe it's because i repeatedly clicked 1 for 'tend to want to help people' hahah.
 
Yippee!

Nephrology
Rheumatology
Hematology
Allergy/Immunology
Phys. Med and Rehab.
Ophthalmology
Nuclear Medicine
Neurology
Aerospace Med
General I.M.

Boy aren't I the exciting type!
😀
 
1 ophthalmology 43
2 plastic surgery 42
3 neurosurgery 42
4 pediatrics 41


WTF.... ophthalmology and plastic surgery?... i don't like either of those. Neurosurgery is my #1 and I like pediatrics.