You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Medical Specialty Aptitude Test!
Started by Duckwizard
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
1 thoracic surgery 38
2 radiology 38
3 aerospace med 38
4 plastic surgery 38
5 nuclear med 38
6 pulmonology 37
7 infectious disease 37
8 allergy & immunology 37
9 neurology 36
10 neurosurgery 36
eh... wierd
neurosurgery is my #1 and thoracic surgery is my #3.... i was hoping that they would have transplant surgery somewhere on there too
family practice / peds are in last place rofl... expected that
2 radiology 38
3 aerospace med 38
4 plastic surgery 38
5 nuclear med 38
6 pulmonology 37
7 infectious disease 37
8 allergy & immunology 37
9 neurology 36
10 neurosurgery 36
eh... wierd
neurosurgery is my #1 and thoracic surgery is my #3.... i was hoping that they would have transplant surgery somewhere on there too
family practice / peds are in last place rofl... expected that
Rank Specialty Score
1 plastic surgery 44
2 thoracic surgery 43
3 nephrology 43
4 emergency med 43
5 dermatology 42
6 general internal med 42
7 urology 42
8 occupational med 42
9 nuclear med 42
10 orthopaedic surgery 41
11 ophthalmology 41
12 obstetrics/gynecology 41
13 pediatrics 41
14 aerospace med 41
15 radiation oncology 41
16 colon & rectal surgery 40
17 neurosurgery 40
18 rheumatology 40
19 med oncology 39
20 gastroenterology 39
21 cardiology 39
22 anesthesiology 39
23 preventive med 39
24 radiology 39
25 pathology 39
26 otolaryngology 38
27 psychiatry 38
28 hematology 38
29 pulmonology 38
30 infectious disease 37
31 family practice 37
32 physical med & rehabilitation 37
33 neurology 37
34 endocrinology 36
35 allergy & immunology 35
36 general surgery 32
At least 4 is something I've actually considered! But #1...eeee....
1 plastic surgery 44
2 thoracic surgery 43
3 nephrology 43
4 emergency med 43
5 dermatology 42
6 general internal med 42
7 urology 42
8 occupational med 42
9 nuclear med 42
10 orthopaedic surgery 41
11 ophthalmology 41
12 obstetrics/gynecology 41
13 pediatrics 41
14 aerospace med 41
15 radiation oncology 41
16 colon & rectal surgery 40
17 neurosurgery 40
18 rheumatology 40
19 med oncology 39
20 gastroenterology 39
21 cardiology 39
22 anesthesiology 39
23 preventive med 39
24 radiology 39
25 pathology 39
26 otolaryngology 38
27 psychiatry 38
28 hematology 38
29 pulmonology 38
30 infectious disease 37
31 family practice 37
32 physical med & rehabilitation 37
33 neurology 37
34 endocrinology 36
35 allergy & immunology 35
36 general surgery 32
At least 4 is something I've actually considered! But #1...eeee....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted109597
1. This test is pretty much bunk until you're late in medical school, b/c you have no idea how much these things are important to you.
2. That said, I think it's pretty funny how people say "this test is stupid" b/c it doesn't rank their preferred specialty high enough, maybe that means you should keep an open mind?
3. I took that thing as a pre-med and was all over the place, I think like oncology and derm were my highest. As a 3rd year when I actually knew how to answer some of the questions my 1st and 2nd choices were exactly the specialties I'm interested in.
1. It's still bunk then, because many people still don't know what is important to them. There isn't enough time in the curriculum to get to know it. And I'm a 4th year.
2. I said the test was stupid because it is, not because it didn't rank my specialty high enough. How does it differentiate between thoracic and colorectal surgery? I missed the "operating on asses" question.
3. Maybe you answered the questions to get what you wanted though.
1 psychiatry 48
2 med oncology 48
3 endocrinology 47
4 family practice 46
5 pediatrics 46
6 allergy & immunology 46
7 physical med & rehabilitation 45
8 general surgery 45
9 nephrology 45
10 hematology 45
Whoo hoo. I want to go into oncology and pediatrics, although I think I'd enjoy psychiatry too.
2 med oncology 48
3 endocrinology 47
4 family practice 46
5 pediatrics 46
6 allergy & immunology 46
7 physical med & rehabilitation 45
8 general surgery 45
9 nephrology 45
10 hematology 45
Whoo hoo. I want to go into oncology and pediatrics, although I think I'd enjoy psychiatry too.
a little piece of advice from someone who is working with an adcom: don't put anywhere on your application that you plan to be some suburban orthopod or radiologist working 30 hours per week. i don't care how many ACL surgeries you've had or even how much research you've done as an undergrad. tell everyone you plan on working in an underserved area doing primary care in whatever field you choose. we have docs on the adcom who see "i plan on doing lifestyle specialty x, y, or z in suburbia with 2.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence" and immediately throw that app in the trash. just a little suggestion...
I don't agree with your suggestion although I understand why you feel this would appeal more to adcoms being that schools are targeting those applicants interested in going into primary care fields in underserved area.
I think adcoms would be wary of applicants who made such a claim yet there was no evidence that supported it anywhere on their applications i.e.volunteer work in underserved areas or working in free clinics or something that shows your dedication and exposure to these regions. Believe it or not most Adcoms are intelligent enough to be able to see through this ploy of saying whatever to get into medical school. Besides ,there are some med schools that have programs that cater to primary care physicians and could possibly hold you liable for not going into a primary care field if they explicitly let you in because you stated you would
I have a friend who was extremely honest and told her interviewers that she wanted to go into plastics (This was at a school that loved matriculating students interested in primary care above all else, as well as being her first interview.) Her interviewer was impressed because he stated very few applicants have ever told him they wanted to specialize in that field. She was accepted a few weeks later.
You should be totally honest with adcoms during interviews lest you be caught in a lie and if they choose not to accept you based on this honesty, oh well you weren't meant to attend that school anyway.
This test on this site:
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/intro.htm
is a more accurate test in my opinion.
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/intro.htm
is a more accurate test in my opinion.
This test on this site:
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/intro.htm
is a more accurate test in my opinion.
Yeah i liked it...the questions seemed easier to answer and more germane. Thanks!
My TOP 25 results. At this point, it is kind of interesting. Not far off from my true thoughts on some things, but not totally representative either. It will be fun to revisit this a few years from now.
Rank Specialty Score
1 pediatrics 48
2 obstetrics/gynecology 48
3 med oncology 48
4 hematology 47
5 occupational med 47
6 physical med & rehabilitation 47
7 rheumatology 46
8 nephrology 46
9 dermatology 45
10 radiation oncology 45
11 nuclear med 45
12 preventive med 45
13 aerospace med 44
14 thoracic surgery 44
15 psychiatry 44
16 pulmonology 44
17 orthopaedic surgery 44
18 anesthesiology 44
19 family practice 44
20 emergency med 44
21 infectious disease 44
22 general surgery 43
23 pathology 42
24 otolaryngology 42
25 general internal med 42
Rank Specialty Score
1 pediatrics 48
2 obstetrics/gynecology 48
3 med oncology 48
4 hematology 47
5 occupational med 47
6 physical med & rehabilitation 47
7 rheumatology 46
8 nephrology 46
9 dermatology 45
10 radiation oncology 45
11 nuclear med 45
12 preventive med 45
13 aerospace med 44
14 thoracic surgery 44
15 psychiatry 44
16 pulmonology 44
17 orthopaedic surgery 44
18 anesthesiology 44
19 family practice 44
20 emergency med 44
21 infectious disease 44
22 general surgery 43
23 pathology 42
24 otolaryngology 42
25 general internal med 42
1 general surgery 45
2 colon & rectal surgery 43
3 physical med & rehabilitation 42
4 dermatology 41
5 hematology 41
6 nephrology 40
7 radiology 40
8 psychiatry 40
9 orthopaedic surgery 40
10 neurosurgery 40
Of the areas I'm interested in, all 4 made the top 10 list -- general surgery, psychiatry, orthopaedic surgery, and neurosurgery.
Plus, all were within 5 points of the other --- so hmm.
Interesting quiz.
2 colon & rectal surgery 43
3 physical med & rehabilitation 42
4 dermatology 41
5 hematology 41
6 nephrology 40
7 radiology 40
8 psychiatry 40
9 orthopaedic surgery 40
10 neurosurgery 40
Of the areas I'm interested in, all 4 made the top 10 list -- general surgery, psychiatry, orthopaedic surgery, and neurosurgery.
Plus, all were within 5 points of the other --- so hmm.
Interesting quiz.
1 obstetrics/gynecology 48
2 infectious disease 47
3 nephrology 46
4 med oncology 46
5 neurosurgery 46
6 general surgery 46
7 aerospace med 45
8 nuclear med 45
9 orthopaedic surgery 45
10 emergency med 45
11 colon & rectal surgery 45
12 pulmonology 44
13 hematology 44
14 gastroenterology 44
15 preventive med 44
16 occupational med 43
17 radiology 43
18 thoracic surgery 43
Bold are things I've considered. hmm.
2 infectious disease 47
3 nephrology 46
4 med oncology 46
5 neurosurgery 46
6 general surgery 46
7 aerospace med 45
8 nuclear med 45
9 orthopaedic surgery 45
10 emergency med 45
11 colon & rectal surgery 45
12 pulmonology 44
13 hematology 44
14 gastroenterology 44
15 preventive med 44
16 occupational med 43
17 radiology 43
18 thoracic surgery 43
Bold are things I've considered. hmm.
Interesting.
1. general surgery - 47
2. nuclear med - 47
3. radiation oncology - 47
|
13. neurosurgery - 45
|
23. thoracic surgery - 44
I want to go into some type of surgery; at the moment I'm considering neuro and thoracic, but I'm not certain by any means. Seeing radiation oncology has made me reconsider surgery a little; a non-surgical lifestyle would probably be better, but I am so excited about surgery =/ I will keep these results in mind and make the decision once I get into medical school and actually do rotations!
1. general surgery - 47
2. nuclear med - 47
3. radiation oncology - 47
|
13. neurosurgery - 45
|
23. thoracic surgery - 44
I want to go into some type of surgery; at the moment I'm considering neuro and thoracic, but I'm not certain by any means. Seeing radiation oncology has made me reconsider surgery a little; a non-surgical lifestyle would probably be better, but I am so excited about surgery =/ I will keep these results in mind and make the decision once I get into medical school and actually do rotations!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M
Mr. McDuck
I forget the exact numbers because I took it a while ago, but the top couple were definitely:
thoracic surgery
vascular surgery
colon and rectal surgery
general surgery
neurosurgery
orthopedic surgery
urology
ob/gyn
thoracic surgery
vascular surgery
colon and rectal surgery
general surgery
neurosurgery
orthopedic surgery
urology
ob/gyn
1 aerospace med 46
2 plastic surgery 45
3 cardiology 45
4 neurosurgery 44
5 med oncology 44
6 dermatology 44
7 preventive med 44
8 occupational med 44
9 thoracic surgery 43
10 psychiatry 43
Aerospace medicine? What the hell is that?
2 plastic surgery 45
3 cardiology 45
4 neurosurgery 44
5 med oncology 44
6 dermatology 44
7 preventive med 44
8 occupational med 44
9 thoracic surgery 43
10 psychiatry 43
Aerospace medicine? What the hell is that?
Rank Specialty Score
1 pulmonology 50
2 nuclear med 48
3 neurosurgery 48
4 thoracic surgery 47
5 preventive med 46
6 otolaryngology 46
7 orthopaedic surgery 46
8 obstetrics/gynecology 46
9 nephrology 46
10 infectious disease 46
1 pulmonology 50
2 nuclear med 48
3 neurosurgery 48
4 thoracic surgery 47
5 preventive med 46
6 otolaryngology 46
7 orthopaedic surgery 46
8 obstetrics/gynecology 46
9 nephrology 46
10 infectious disease 46
Rank Specialty Score
1 emergency med 47
2 med oncology 46
3 pediatrics 46
4 physical med & rehabilitation 45
5 psychiatry 45
6 hematology 45
7 general internal med 45
8 dermatology 44
9 rheumatology 44
10 preventive med 44
11 obstetrics/gynecology 44
12 occupational med 43
13 general surgery 42
14 radiology 42
15 plastic surgery 42
16 pathology 42
17 otolaryngology 42
18 neurology 42
19 infectious disease 42
20 endocrinology 42
21 radiation oncology 42
22 nephrology 41
23 orthopaedic surgery 41
24 ophthalmology 41
25 aerospace med 41
26 thoracic surgery 40
27 nuclear med 40
28 colon & rectal surgery 40
29 neurosurgery 40
30 allergy & immunology 40
31 anesthesiology 39
32 cardiology 39
33 family practice 38
34 gastroenterology 38
35 pulmonology 37
36 urology 36
never even thought about emergency medicine as being something I would be interested in doing. Med oncology is one as well as pediatrics.
1 emergency med 47
2 med oncology 46
3 pediatrics 46
4 physical med & rehabilitation 45
5 psychiatry 45
6 hematology 45
7 general internal med 45
8 dermatology 44
9 rheumatology 44
10 preventive med 44
11 obstetrics/gynecology 44
12 occupational med 43
13 general surgery 42
14 radiology 42
15 plastic surgery 42
16 pathology 42
17 otolaryngology 42
18 neurology 42
19 infectious disease 42
20 endocrinology 42
21 radiation oncology 42
22 nephrology 41
23 orthopaedic surgery 41
24 ophthalmology 41
25 aerospace med 41
26 thoracic surgery 40
27 nuclear med 40
28 colon & rectal surgery 40
29 neurosurgery 40
30 allergy & immunology 40
31 anesthesiology 39
32 cardiology 39
33 family practice 38
34 gastroenterology 38
35 pulmonology 37
36 urology 36
never even thought about emergency medicine as being something I would be interested in doing. Med oncology is one as well as pediatrics.
1 pediatrics 43
2 med oncology 42
3 radiation oncology 42
4 rheumatology 41
5 hematology 41
6 general internal med 41
7 emergency med 40
8 dermatology 40
9 urology 40
10 occupational med 39
11 physical med & rehabilitation 38
12 family practice 38
13 endocrinology 38
14 gastroenterology 36
15 colon & rectal surgery 36
16 psychiatry 36
17 pathology 36
18 neurology 36
19 radiology 35
20 nuclear med 35
21 infectious disease 34
22 preventive med 34
23 aerospace med 33
24 neurosurgery 33
25 pulmonology 33
26 allergy & immunology 33
27 nephrology 32
28 obstetrics/gynecology 32
29 ophthalmology 30
30 otolaryngology 29
31 orthopaedic surgery 29
32 cardiology 29
33 anesthesiology 27
34 thoracic surgery 27
35 general surgery 27
36 plastic surgery 23
2 med oncology 42
3 radiation oncology 42
4 rheumatology 41
5 hematology 41
6 general internal med 41
7 emergency med 40
8 dermatology 40
9 urology 40
10 occupational med 39
11 physical med & rehabilitation 38
12 family practice 38
13 endocrinology 38
14 gastroenterology 36
15 colon & rectal surgery 36
16 psychiatry 36
17 pathology 36
18 neurology 36
19 radiology 35
20 nuclear med 35
21 infectious disease 34
22 preventive med 34
23 aerospace med 33
24 neurosurgery 33
25 pulmonology 33
26 allergy & immunology 33
27 nephrology 32
28 obstetrics/gynecology 32
29 ophthalmology 30
30 otolaryngology 29
31 orthopaedic surgery 29
32 cardiology 29
33 anesthesiology 27
34 thoracic surgery 27
35 general surgery 27
36 plastic surgery 23
1
43
2
43
3
43
4
43
5
43
6
42
7
42
8
42
9
41
10
41
11
41
This test on this site:
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/intro.htm
is a more accurate test in my opinion.
Great site. I also like that they give you an overview of the specialties.
Rank Specialty Score
1 endocrinology 49
2 neurosurgery 47
3 physical med & rehabilitation 47
4 allergy & immunology 47
5 ophthalmology 46
6 gastroenterology 46
7 hematology 45
8 neurology 45
9 general internal med 45
10 emergency med 45
11 nephrology 44
12 plastic surgery 44
13 pediatrics 44
14 urology 44
15 general surgery 43
16 radiology 43
17 infectious disease 43
18 dermatology 43
19 family practice 42
20 cardiology 42
Ha...I forgot I had already taken it before and took it again with somewhat different results (although apparently endocrinology is just right for me).
1 endocrinology 46
2 emergency med 44
3 allergy & immunology 44
4 radiology 44
5 neurology 44
6 neurosurgery 43
7 nuclear med 43
8 ophthalmology 43
9 urology 43
10 general surgery 43
4
45408
urology. hmmmm. then rads, derm, gastro, and ob/gyn.
I'm interested in OB, EM, and surgery overall, so....we'll see.
I'm interested in OB, EM, and surgery overall, so....we'll see.
general surgery. hey, that's pretty much what i want to do, except subsitutute "general" with "neurological." although i think i'd be fine with being a general surgeon.
this test is pointless. I got radiology. I tried this test just for fun and I have no interest in radiology beyond brain scans showing regions of the brain that are affected in genetic syndromes.
I hope the thread title will do the trick...
So I was working on my VCU secondary:
Essay: I. Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours (limit of 250 words).
I ran into this website: http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/
Mine #1 rank came out to be radiology, which was a surprise.
Is it fair to mention in the essay that I will plan on choosing my specialty via an online aptitude test? haha 😀
Enjoy.
The difference between my #1 and #36 was 7 points. Whatever. I come from an educational background that has taught me to laugh at tests like this. It's based off how closely your answers correspond to the answers of doctors already working in the field, not you interests i.e. your passions. You'll do better in a field when you actually care about it, not just because you have a lot in common with people who are already doing it.
Also, the questions were poorly-constructed and obvious. If you really want to get a good grip on someone's personality, you have to be a little more clever than this. Repetition is good, but not when you don't bother to rephrase the question. LOL.
Also, the questions were poorly-constructed and obvious. If you really want to get a good grip on someone's personality, you have to be a little more clever than this. Repetition is good, but not when you don't bother to rephrase the question. LOL.
Both of my top interests got a score of 48
I say this test is pretty accurate
1 thoracic surgery 48
2 radiology 48
3 pathology 48
4 plastic surgery 48
5 physical med & rehabilitation 48
6 neurosurgery 48
7 pulmonology 48
8 rheumatology 47
9 infectious disease 47
10 hematology 47
11 dermatology 47
12 allergy & immunology 47
13 nuclear med 47
14 neurology 47
15 general surgery 47
16 otolaryngology 46
17 orthopaedic surgery 46
18 ophthalmology 46
19 radiation oncology 46
20 emergency med 46
I say this test is pretty accurate
1 thoracic surgery 48
2 radiology 48
3 pathology 48
4 plastic surgery 48
5 physical med & rehabilitation 48
6 neurosurgery 48
7 pulmonology 48
8 rheumatology 47
9 infectious disease 47
10 hematology 47
11 dermatology 47
12 allergy & immunology 47
13 nuclear med 47
14 neurology 47
15 general surgery 47
16 otolaryngology 46
17 orthopaedic surgery 46
18 ophthalmology 46
19 radiation oncology 46
20 emergency med 46
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 occupational med 50
2 pathology 49
3 rheumatology 49
4 pulmonology 49
5 nephrology 49
6 radiation oncology 49
7 allergy & immunology 48
8 nuclear med 48
9 radiology 48
10 thoracic surgery 47
11 aerospace med 47
12 preventive med 47
13 neurology 47
14 neurosurgery 47
15 physical med & rehabilitation 47
16 pediatrics 47
17 anesthesiology 47
18 dermatology 47
19 infectious disease 47
20 hematology 47
I want to do either ER or othro surg.....guess im screwed hahah
2 pathology 49
3 rheumatology 49
4 pulmonology 49
5 nephrology 49
6 radiation oncology 49
7 allergy & immunology 48
8 nuclear med 48
9 radiology 48
10 thoracic surgery 47
11 aerospace med 47
12 preventive med 47
13 neurology 47
14 neurosurgery 47
15 physical med & rehabilitation 47
16 pediatrics 47
17 anesthesiology 47
18 dermatology 47
19 infectious disease 47
20 hematology 47
I want to do either ER or othro surg.....guess im screwed hahah
1 dermatology 41
2 allergy & immunology 39
3 gastroenterology 39
4 physical med & rehabilitation 39
5 ophthalmology 38
6 neurology 38
7 endocrinology 38
8 general internal med 38
9 infectious disease 37
10 obstetrics/gynecology 37
Of this list, I am probably more likely to consider dermatology or ob/gyn. I haven't really decided which specialities I want to go into once I'm in med school. I always thought I would be able to find out what interests me the most once I'm there. Do must people already know what they want to go into before entering med school?
2 allergy & immunology 39
3 gastroenterology 39
4 physical med & rehabilitation 39
5 ophthalmology 38
6 neurology 38
7 endocrinology 38
8 general internal med 38
9 infectious disease 37
10 obstetrics/gynecology 37
Of this list, I am probably more likely to consider dermatology or ob/gyn. I haven't really decided which specialities I want to go into once I'm in med school. I always thought I would be able to find out what interests me the most once I'm there. Do must people already know what they want to go into before entering med school?
1. general internal med 44
2. endocrinology 43
3. radiation oncology 42
I have always been interested in taking up endocrinology or pediatrics for specialty. Ironically, peds ranked last in my list. Oh well.. I will eventually know once I enter med school
2. endocrinology 43
3. radiation oncology 42
I have always been interested in taking up endocrinology or pediatrics for specialty. Ironically, peds ranked last in my list. Oh well.. I will eventually know once I enter med school
this test is pointless. I got radiology. I tried this test just for fun and I have no interest in radiology beyond brain scans showing regions of the brain that are affected in genetic syndromes.
Was this Eugenic?
1 pathology
2 occupational med
3 physica med and rehab
4 neurology
5 rheumatology
6 pulmonology
7 gastroenterology
8 endocrinology
9 infectious disease
10 nuclear med
11 neurosurgery
12 radiology
13 thoracic surgery
14 preventative med
15 ophthalmology
16 otolaryngology
17 dermatology
18 anesthes
19 allergy, immuno
20 nephrology
2 occupational med
3 physica med and rehab
4 neurology
5 rheumatology
6 pulmonology
7 gastroenterology
8 endocrinology
9 infectious disease
10 nuclear med
11 neurosurgery
12 radiology
13 thoracic surgery
14 preventative med
15 ophthalmology
16 otolaryngology
17 dermatology
18 anesthes
19 allergy, immuno
20 nephrology
At least this test is consistent with specialties that I do NOT want: pediatrics comes last, family medicine second last... then comes ob/gyn, psych, and colon. These are consistent.
Top of the list are pathology, neuro surgery, and thoracic. Blehh. Well, okay, let's see which one from the list I would pick four years later.
Top of the list are pathology, neuro surgery, and thoracic. Blehh. Well, okay, let's see which one from the list I would pick four years later.
1 general surgery 46
2 preventive med 45
3 orthopaedic surgery 45
4 emergency med 45
5 pulmonology 44
6 otolaryngology 44
7 endocrinology 44
8 ophthalmology 44
9 obstetrics/gynecology 44
10 neurosurgery 44
11 thoracic surgery 43
12 gastroenterology 43
13 med oncology 43
14 infectious disease 43
15 hematology 42
16 nephrology 42
17 dermatology 42
18 general internal med 42
19 allergy & immunology 42
20 urology 42
21 occupational med 42
22 aerospace med 42
23 plastic surgery 42
24 nuclear med 42
25 neurology 42
26 rheumatology 41
27 psychiatry 41
28 radiation oncology 41
29 anesthesiology 41
30 cardiology 41
31 colon & rectal surgery 40
32 physical med & rehabilitation 40
33 radiology 39
34 pathology 39
35 pediatrics 36
36 family practice 35
Looks like the test wants me to be a surgeon, am I'm okay with that because thats what I'm interested in.
2 preventive med 45
3 orthopaedic surgery 45
4 emergency med 45
5 pulmonology 44
6 otolaryngology 44
7 endocrinology 44
8 ophthalmology 44
9 obstetrics/gynecology 44
10 neurosurgery 44
11 thoracic surgery 43
12 gastroenterology 43
13 med oncology 43
14 infectious disease 43
15 hematology 42
16 nephrology 42
17 dermatology 42
18 general internal med 42
19 allergy & immunology 42
20 urology 42
21 occupational med 42
22 aerospace med 42
23 plastic surgery 42
24 nuclear med 42
25 neurology 42
26 rheumatology 41
27 psychiatry 41
28 radiation oncology 41
29 anesthesiology 41
30 cardiology 41
31 colon & rectal surgery 40
32 physical med & rehabilitation 40
33 radiology 39
34 pathology 39
35 pediatrics 36
36 family practice 35
Looks like the test wants me to be a surgeon, am I'm okay with that because thats what I'm interested in.
Eerie how very dead on it was. I'm interested in specialties that have a strong immunology component (so heme/onc, rheum, allergy, GI, etc.). Right now my interests lie heavily in heme/onc and I work on a BMT unit. But sometimes I think I'd also be happy being a GP or family doc.
My results:
1. Heme
2. Rheum
3. Onc
4. Rad Onc
5. IM
6. Derm
7. Allergy
Others: FP (29), GI (31)
My results:
1. Heme
2. Rheum
3. Onc
4. Rad Onc
5. IM
6. Derm
7. Allergy
Others: FP (29), GI (31)
1 aerospace med 46
2 dermatology 46
3 radiology 45
4 general internal med 44
5 endocrinology 43
6 urology 43
7 obstetrics/gynecology 43
8 pediatrics 42
9 psychiatry 42
10 allergy & immunology 42
11 emergency med 42
12 gastroenterology 41
13 nuclear med 41
14 neurology 40
15 neurosurgery 40
2 dermatology 46
3 radiology 45
4 general internal med 44
5 endocrinology 43
6 urology 43
7 obstetrics/gynecology 43
8 pediatrics 42
9 psychiatry 42
10 allergy & immunology 42
11 emergency med 42
12 gastroenterology 41
13 nuclear med 41
14 neurology 40
15 neurosurgery 40
1. neurosurgery
2. allergy & immunology
3. pulmonology
4. plastic surgery
5. thoracic surgery
...16. infectious disease
I'm really not that type a. Right now I'm mostly interested in infectious disease and immunology (right on), but let's be honest, I'm just a pre-med so what do I know about specialties. I wish I didn't spend the 5 minutes answering 130 repeating questions now.
2. allergy & immunology
3. pulmonology
4. plastic surgery
5. thoracic surgery
...16. infectious disease
I'm really not that type a. Right now I'm mostly interested in infectious disease and immunology (right on), but let's be honest, I'm just a pre-med so what do I know about specialties. I wish I didn't spend the 5 minutes answering 130 repeating questions now.
So I took it again, almost a year after this post and....Dermatology 1st
What I do want...anaestesiology was #17
Was correct in placing all the surgical specialities dead last 😀![]()
STILL dermatology. What?
7 out of my top 10 are surgery related...it's a good thing I'm interested in surgery!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. general surgery
3. emergency med
These are the two fields that I am most interested in. Cool!
3. emergency med
These are the two fields that I am most interested in. Cool!
bold is what i'm going for
1 neurology 40
2 pathology 39
3 infectious disease 39
4 hematology 39
5 allergy & immunology 39
6 neurosurgery 38
7 general surgery 38
8 rheumatology 37
9 pulmonology 37
10 nuclear med 37
11 endocrinology 36
12 physical med & rehabilitation 36
13 radiology 35
14 psychiatry 35
15 preventive med 35
16 nephrology 35
17 radiation oncology 35
18 general internal med 34
19 obstetrics/gynecology 34
20 occupational med 34
21 med oncology 33
22 otolaryngology 33
23 plastic surgery 33
24 cardiology 33
25 dermatology 32
26 aerospace med 32
27 pediatrics 32
28 thoracic surgery 32
29 orthopaedic surgery 31
30 colon & rectal surgery 31
31 family practice 31
32 urology 30
33 gastroenterology 29
34 anesthesiology 29
35 ophthalmology 28
36 emergency med 25
1 neurology 40
2 pathology 39
3 infectious disease 39
4 hematology 39
5 allergy & immunology 39
6 neurosurgery 38
7 general surgery 38
8 rheumatology 37
9 pulmonology 37
10 nuclear med 37
11 endocrinology 36
12 physical med & rehabilitation 36
13 radiology 35
14 psychiatry 35
15 preventive med 35
16 nephrology 35
17 radiation oncology 35
18 general internal med 34
19 obstetrics/gynecology 34
20 occupational med 34
21 med oncology 33
22 otolaryngology 33
23 plastic surgery 33
24 cardiology 33
25 dermatology 32
26 aerospace med 32
27 pediatrics 32
28 thoracic surgery 32
29 orthopaedic surgery 31
30 colon & rectal surgery 31
31 family practice 31
32 urology 30
33 gastroenterology 29
34 anesthesiology 29
35 ophthalmology 28
36 emergency med 25
High ones
1 radiology 45
2 preventive med 44
3 pathology 44
4 nuclear med 43
5 neurology 43
6 dermatology 42
7 allergy and immunology 40
8 general internal med 40
9 emergency med 39
10 anesthesiology 39
11 neurosurgery 38
Low ones
30 thoracic surgery 30
31 orthapaedic surgery 30
32 physical med & rehabilitation 29
33 plastic surgery 27
34 cardiology 27
35 family practice 25
36 pediatrics 25
1 radiology 45
2 preventive med 44
3 pathology 44
4 nuclear med 43
5 neurology 43
6 dermatology 42
7 allergy and immunology 40
8 general internal med 40
9 emergency med 39
10 anesthesiology 39
11 neurosurgery 38
Low ones
30 thoracic surgery 30
31 orthapaedic surgery 30
32 physical med & rehabilitation 29
33 plastic surgery 27
34 cardiology 27
35 family practice 25
36 pediatrics 25
[SIZE=-1]Top- Endocrinology, Infectious disease, Urology, Aerospace med, nuclear med, neurology, and neurosurgery (40-38)
Bottom ones- Preventive med, Peds, pulmonology, ophthalmology, Occupational med, Anesthiology (33)[/SIZE]
Bottom ones- Preventive med, Peds, pulmonology, ophthalmology, Occupational med, Anesthiology (33)[/SIZE]
This test on this site:
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/intro.htm
is a more accurate test in my opinion.
I like this one a lot more.
Radiation Oncology
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Gastroenterology
Neurology
Otolaryngology
Dermatology
Orthopaedic Surgery
Ophthalmology
Allergy and Immunology
Urology
Pediatrics
Cardiology
Rheumatology
Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 445
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 346
