Medical students- what has been your greatest challenge in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sleeping, too much studying? etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Keeping the secret that we were sworn to keep from pre-meds. Very difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I get drunk, it's a real challenge not to talk about "it" in public.

I would say wishing there was more time in the day/less addicted to caffeine. I start the day off so strong but my studying diminishes until I get extreme ADD around 9-10 oclock. I want to study more, but I can't I am zoning out and since im addicted to caffeine coffee doesn't do anything for me other than stave off a possible headache and tantalize my taste buds. Oh well :cool: I'll make it through..

Having to beat the temptation to watch the Cincinnati Reds on my MLB.TV subscription for 3+ hours a day. They WOULD wait until now to finally have a winning season!!!

Time management and lack of sleep...which of course go hand in hand. Even two years in, it's hard to change old habits

Members don't see this ad :)
Having to beat the temptation to watch the Cincinnati Reds on my MLB.TV subscription for 3+ hours a day. They WOULD wait until now to finally have a winning season!!!

Go Reds!!!! :)

How about Aroldis last night??

Dealing with other med students and their obscene study habits. I am not a huge studier. I just study till I understand things enough to be able to regurgitate it. I dont need like 87 redundant study sessions like a lot of people. So all the other students studying like mad everywhere really gets to me.

The hardest part? Convincing myself that these first two years will eventually be a faint memory.

Dealing with other med students and their obscene study habits. I am not a huge studier. I just study till I understand things enough to be able to regurgitate it. I dont need like 87 redundant study sessions like a lot of people. So all the other students studying like mad everywhere really gets to me.

Congrats, I wish I could say this. :(

But personally, in my impressive history of 3 weeks/0 tests in medical school, my biggest challenges so far echo previous comments. Time management, trying to get enough sleep, caffeine addiction, finding time to exercise, etc. Being around awesome people, loving where I live, and my first clinical experience today really help :D

Getting used to the volume of material and the depth we're supposed to know it. I think I'm doing pretty good right now, but we'll see after my first big exam.

last 2 months before step 1. i felt pretty good until then. anyone who says otherwise hasn't taken it yet.

Congrats, I wish I could say this. :(

But personally, in my impressive history of 3 weeks/0 tests in medical school, my biggest challenges so far echo previous comments. Time management, trying to get enough sleep, caffeine addiction, finding time to exercise, etc. Being around awesome people, loving where I live, and my first clinical experience today really help :D

The only reason I can say this is because I already went to grad school before med school in a science related field. So while the content per se isnt exactly the same, I learned how to study and what you should be focusing on and what you should be leaving out.

In undergrad the work load is relatively light and you CAN commit pretty much everything to memory. That is what I see some of my classmates who came right from undergrad trying to do. I feel bad.

You need to know things well enough and understand CONCEPTS to be able to weed out the wrong answers on tests and narrow it down to the right answer....not necessarily have everything committed to memory IMO. But to each their own...I know some people have that NEED to have everything memorized which is fine....just not the way I do things.

Time management and lack of sleep...which of course go hand in hand. Even two years in, it's hard to change old habits

He speaks truth. Sigh. :(

Finding a sports bar in the East coast city where I attend med school that broadcasts Oregon Duck football games in the fall. Go Ducks!