Medical students- what has been your greatest challenge in medical school?

About the Ads

swamprat

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
    I would say wishing there was more time in the day/less addicted to caffeine. I start the day off so strong but my studying diminishes until I get extreme ADD around 9-10 oclock. I want to study more, but I can't I am zoning out and since im addicted to caffeine coffee doesn't do anything for me other than stave off a possible headache and tantalize my taste buds. Oh well :cool: I'll make it through..

About the Ads

willen101383

15+ Year Member
    Jul 22, 2004
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Dealing with other med students and their obscene study habits. I am not a huge studier. I just study till I understand things enough to be able to regurgitate it. I dont need like 87 redundant study sessions like a lot of people. So all the other students studying like mad everywhere really gets to me.

Oct 19, 2009
      Houston
      1. Medical Student
        Dealing with other med students and their obscene study habits. I am not a huge studier. I just study till I understand things enough to be able to regurgitate it. I dont need like 87 redundant study sessions like a lot of people. So all the other students studying like mad everywhere really gets to me.

Congrats, I wish I could say this. :(

But personally, in my impressive history of 3 weeks/0 tests in medical school, my biggest challenges so far echo previous comments. Time management, trying to get enough sleep, caffeine addiction, finding time to exercise, etc. Being around awesome people, loving where I live, and my first clinical experience today really help :D

willen101383

15+ Year Member
        Jul 22, 2004
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Congrats, I wish I could say this. :(

But personally, in my impressive history of 3 weeks/0 tests in medical school, my biggest challenges so far echo previous comments. Time management, trying to get enough sleep, caffeine addiction, finding time to exercise, etc. Being around awesome people, loving where I live, and my first clinical experience today really help :D

The only reason I can say this is because I already went to grad school before med school in a science related field. So while the content per se isnt exactly the same, I learned how to study and what you should be focusing on and what you should be leaving out.

In undergrad the work load is relatively light and you CAN commit pretty much everything to memory. That is what I see some of my classmates who came right from undergrad trying to do. I feel bad.

You need to know things well enough and understand CONCEPTS to be able to weed out the wrong answers on tests and narrow it down to the right answer....not necessarily have everything committed to memory IMO. But to each their own...I know some people have that NEED to have everything memorized which is fine....just not the way I do things.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.