Medschool + Relationship = ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
getunconcsious said:
What? Why is this even an argument/thread? Having a relationship in med school is easy! My SO and I are MS3 and MS1 (respectively) and see each other for at least an hour a day. It's really not any harder than it is in any other field or career probably. I guess medical students like to complain a lot?

I agree...I'm also an MS1 dating and MS3, and it's definitely doable. And for those worried about meeting someone because they spend all their time studying, I met my boyfriend in the (med school) library while both of us were studying for our respective finals. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just my .02 on the overall post: CHILL the F*** OUT!

Who you date and how you date them is as personal as your taste in music or food. Just because someone chooses to date within their own race or only people with advanced degrees or no med students what-so-ever, doesn't mean that they deserve to be lumped into the same category as the KKK. Just because someone won't eat sushi doesnt make them a bigot, does it??

Overall, we're all just a little too uptight about this whole issue of dating/mating. It should be FUN. That's 60% of my criteria for dating a girl. The other 40% are devided among looks, intelligence, altruism, how well I can work with her, willingness to tolerate my horribly corny personality, and her personality. Personally, I go for the kind of girl that has a strong personality, a strong set of beliefs and can argue circles around me. Hell, I'd welcome a girl that's more successful than I am so that I could only work 3 days a week and have some fun in life instead of slowly killing myself as a full time physician. Oh yeah, and as a general policy, I wont date people in the same professional field.

I'm not going to hold my current relationship out as a shining beacon of awesomeness, as it's not a very typical one. However, I will say that there are a few traits that have helped it survive: flexibility, open communication, and FUN.

I think I have it narrowed down to two things (I'm a guy who likes girls):

1. Great in the sack.
2. Able to show genuine affection for me.

Of course, I will exclude psychos and gold-diggers from this list...oh, I guess that makes it three things.

:D :D :D

If she is able to have fun and live an independent life without me, but still geniunely likes me enough to want a relationship, that's great. Really, as we are all becoming physicians and surgeons in the future, we'll need partners that'll understand the fact that we'll be away from home for really long and unpredictable periods of time (unless you plan on going into Derm, EM, Rads, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Biodude said:

1. Great in the sack.

What does that mean? After living in the US for 10 years, a few idioms still prove to be a mystery.

Sigecaps said:
What does that mean? After living in the US for 10 years, a few idioms still prove to be a mystery.

It means good at doing the horizontal mambo!

Biodude said:

1. Great in the sack.

Of course, I will exclude psychos

The psychos are usually good in the sack though -- less inhibited... Just learn to sleep with your eyes open.

Law2Doc said:
The psychos are usually good in the sack though -- less inhibited... Just learn to sleep with your eyes open.

Noted ;)

After all those hours of anatomy and studying the human body, a medical student or doctor has no other choice but to be incredible in bed.

Second, competition is a healthy part of a relationship. If your b*tch @ss got AOA and 98th percentile of the boards..then hell I'll get 99th percentile and my dream residency, Derm at UCSF.

Third, and the best of all... we can talk about it day all day... or when we see each other once a week.

Either way the best marriages are those between couples which share most in common. Starting from religious affiliation, to hobbies and interests, habits... You gotta date a doctor!

Makaka said:
Second, competition is a healthy part of a relationship. If your b*tch @ss got AOA and 98th percentile of the boards..then hell I'll get 99th percentile and my dream residency, Derm at UCSF.

I dunno about that one....I tend to be competetive and would cite that as the only downside to dating another med student. It's hard for me to accept that my SO goes to a more prestigious school than me, and I feel the need to make higher grades to prove myself. In addition, there is some less-than-benign criticism of each other's schools that goes on between us. But seriously Baylor, how the HELL can you NOT have a Pharmacology class?!

Makaka said:
After all those hours of anatomy and studying the human body, a medical student or doctor has no other choice but to be incredible in bed.

And vice versa, after all these hours in bed, a medical student has no choice but to visit the anatomy lab...

Callogician said:
My top five excluding looks:

1) Absolutely ****ing ingenious. No not you...yeah you...the one with the 40 MCAT who thinks she's clever. You're an idiot. I'm talking about the sort of woman who is subjectively witty, insightful, and generally brilliant after a five minute conversation.

2) Free thinker/rationalist/pragmatist etc. - I cite cfdavid's argument. I want a woman I loves to discuss and analyze the complexities of the world.

3) Inexplicably attracted to every aspect of my appearance/voice/personality/etc. -what can I say...I like women who like me.

4) Sane - if you cry for no reason or check the stove at night, you are not sane. If you ask me, "am I fat?," I will say, "What is your BMI?"

5) Feminine/submissive/nurturing/affectionate - I find myself naturally attracted to these qualities and scoff at all feminist criticism.

Ingenious! You clearly meet criterion #1.

i'm sorry, but i just want to point out that qualities #1 and 2 will clash with "submissive" in quality 5 most likely, hmph.

I think the debate over preference for this or that is foolishness. Communication and similar values are such big parts of a relationship. I don't personally care if my wife is a doctor or not....I also do not care nor am I sure that I want her to feel like she is making a sacrifice to raise children or for whatever else. I'll be honest. I don't really want to be Mr. Mom. I want to have a collaborative effort between the both of us. I am driven by my passion for what I do. I am also a professional musician and have been for some time before I made the final call to pursue medicine and, largely, it was not for financial, stability, prestige, or anything like that. I have a good number of interests outside of medicine so I am not at all worried about having things to talk about pending she's similar to me. I do not personally think it is foolish to think that two people, who are willing to work hard to have a lasting relationship, despite lots of potential suffering and whatnot to endure along the way, can make it work. The suffering can be tempered with understanding and patience.........and it doesn't last forever anyway. Love isn't something you can calculate, IMO. That's what this feels like when people talk about their 'preferences' and their lists that have to be checked off to pass the qualification phase to be spouse. Diceman, you're ******ed. A lot of us premed and med students are kids from middle class families who are fortunate to be able to pay for us to become educated and succeed academically. There are lots of other people who are not so fortunate but might be tremendously intelligent.....heck, they might not even be that academically brilliant but may possess some talent that makes them shine. As for qualifications and how they stack up between the sexes, it is my personal belief (and I'd only admit this on an anonymous message board) that women are built from birth to multitask, focus, and be faithful........and those three qualities make them pretty much able to handle anything. I think women as a rule are more qualified to do lots of things than are men. I have a ton of respect for the nonsense that women have to go through both in the workplace and in the home, and I am not intimidated by a woman who is smarter or more qualified than I am. I believe in a 50-50 partnership between the sexes. Now, if she holds it over my head that she's smarter than I am or that she's more qualified.....that doesn't sway my confidence in myself....but it sure makes me re-evaluate the relationship...because I'd never treat her that way. Anyway, I'll stop ranting. I hope I've sparked some commentary....

As Honest As I Can Be,
Loco

Beautiful post! I agree that we all spend time saying I prefer this or that. Reality, however operates in a different fashion. Who is to say whether I will fall heads over heels for the next person who walks through the door. Wait! I don't have a door.

locoindio said:
I think the debate over preference for this or that is foolishness. Communication and similar values are such big parts of a relationship. I don't personally care if my wife is a doctor or not....I also do not care nor am I sure that I want her to feel like she is making a sacrifice to raise children or for whatever else. I'll be honest. I don't really want to be Mr. Mom. I want to have a collaborative effort between the both of us. I am driven by my passion for what I do. I am also a professional musician and have been for some time before I made the final call to pursue medicine and, largely, it was not for financial, stability, prestige, or anything like that. I have a good number of interests outside of medicine so I am not at all worried about having things to talk about pending she's similar to me. I do not personally think it is foolish to think that two people, who are willing to work hard to have a lasting relationship, despite lots of potential suffering and whatnot to endure along the way, can make it work. The suffering can be tempered with understanding and patience.........and it doesn't last forever anyway. Love isn't something you can calculate, IMO. That's what this feels like when people talk about their 'preferences' and their lists that have to be checked off to pass the qualification phase to be spouse. Diceman, you're ******ed. A lot of us premed and med students are kids from middle class families who are fortunate to be able to pay for us to become educated and succeed academically. There are lots of other people who are not so fortunate but might be tremendously intelligent.....heck, they might not even be that academically brilliant but may possess some talent that makes them shine. As for qualifications and how they stack up between the sexes, it is my personal belief (and I'd only admit this on an anonymous message board) that women are built from birth to multitask, focus, and be faithful........and those three qualities make them pretty much able to handle anything. I think women as a rule are more qualified to do lots of things than are men. I have a ton of respect for the nonsense that women have to go through both in the workplace and in the home, and I am not intimidated by a woman who is smarter or more qualified than I am. I believe in a 50-50 partnership between the sexes. Now, if she holds it over my head that she's smarter than I am or that she's more qualified.....that doesn't sway my confidence in myself....but it sure makes me re-evaluate the relationship...because I'd never treat her that way. Anyway, I'll stop ranting. I hope I've sparked some commentary....

As Honest As I Can Be,
Loco

Trail Boss said:
No disrespect to you ladies out there, but as a male I think one of the few undeniable perks of medicine is that despite all the hardship and complaining we will all end up making pretty damn good money. Money that will allow us to support a wife who stays at home at least long enough to be with our children at least until they start school. I think one of the biggest problems in our society is that we have belittled mothers. Being a mother and raising good children is in my mind a far more impressive way to spend ones life than having an impressive career. You don't have to be a doctor to impress me. So, I would never date or marry a doctor that didn't put being a mother way above anything else (namely her career).

yah, I'd put being a doctor above children on my priority list. If I didn't do this I'd feel I was missing something in my life. But I am going to try to manage both....the husband is just going to have to be the mommy.

I have been dating a non medical student for a while now and I don't think I could ever date a guy who was also a medical student. It is so refreshing to be able to leave school and not talk about medicine or think about medicine. I feel llike medicine has the tendency to become all consuming and being in a relationship with a non med student forces you to seek more balance and diversify your interests. Furthermore lets face it, med students can be boring after a while...especially when you put 5 or 6 previously well rounded and interesting people who happen to be med students together... all they can talk about is medicine. Furthermore, a lot of med students are in debt. It is a small but nice perk to date someone who can actually take me out on a real date :).