Meeting with someone from medical board coming up - tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
private DO school tuition plus high COL in Fort Lauderdale plus zero family money. It's not that unusual. It's not like I have 600K.

Wow. How much is DO tuition? I think it's crazy how much tuition is these days. No wonder no one wants to go into primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

When I did it, it was $100/patient, up to 9 in a day. Plus you got a rental car, hotel room, and $55 per diem for food a day. You were considered an independent contractor, so you did have to do estimated taxes quarterly. You could contribute to a solo 401k, though, and save a bunch for retirement.

So you go to people's homes by yourself? What if someone does something to you? I would love to find something between now and when I start but feel weird about goign to someone's house.

I hate south FL and there's several places I would live here. But I'm leaving the state for residency anyway, and Im open to settling down where I'm going because I kinda love the area.
Hopefully you can get a good job close to where you gonna go to do your residency in order to pay that hefty student loan. The places you can get a good job from experience are not in desirable cities. Be open to be outside of big metro if you want to make 300k+/yr with ok patient load.

By the way, Broward and Miami-Dade are not good, but Palm Beach county is still ok.

Reactions: 1 user
So you go to people's homes by yourself? What if someone does something to you? I would love to find something between now and when I start but feel weird about goign to someone's house.
You can do VA disability eval where you don't have to go to people's place.

Last edited:
Wow. How much is DO tuition? I think it's crazy how much tuition is these days. No wonder no one wants to go into primary care.
I think tuition and fees were like 60K/yr. Plus then there's a million other things to pay for not directly to the school. Plus COL.
Hopefully you can get a good job close to where you gonna go to do your residency in order to pay that hefty student loan. The places you can get a good job from experience are not in desirable cities. Be open to be outside of big metro if you want to make 300k+/yr with ok patient load.
I don't even like big cities like Miami/Fort Lauderdale. I do like Tampa, Orlando which you struggled with. Also I like Jax, Gainesville, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples type areas. I don't want to live/work in like an Okeechobee or Arcadia.

Reactions: 1 users
How do I do that? I'm going to be so bored until July! Don't I need insurance for that?

By the way, I post it here because OP might need it some day. Not trying to derail his thread.

They will get malpractice for you.

Here are the terms:

COVID Protocols
: PPE equipment provided, temperatures checked for providers and veterans, rooms sanitized between appointments, appointments staggered to support 6ft of social distancing, and other measures and expectations.

Position Overview: You will simply conduct an evaluation based on disability questionnaires provided by the VA and attached to each veteran's records. You will not prescribe medicine. These evaluations are done so that the veteran can continue to receive their disability benefits. Each evaluation takes roughly 40min-1hr, and that includes documenting their responses and any notes you may have. If charting takes longer, we can negotiate extra compensation. There are no clinical care requirements. You will not be their primary care provider.

Schedule and Frequency: Veterans are only scheduled when you are available. You will coordinate your schedule with a Scheduler. Example: If you only have nights and weekends or can work 4 days each month, you will be scheduled based on your availability.

Volume: As well, there are no minimums nor maximums regarding the number of patients to be seen per shift.

Location and Sites: Veterans will be seen in person, at an offsite medical facility, a doctor’s office that has been rented for the day, that will be close to you or within a reasonable driving distance up to 50 miles. Sometimes a phone consultation is had to clarify a veteran's condition or respond to an addendum from the VA.

Credentialing: Credentialing usually takes up to 7-10 days once you have sent in and completed all documentation and assessments.

Training: After credentialing is complete, a welcome email will be sent with a link to the online training. After this, you will have access to a representative at all times to help when and if needed.

Completion of charting/addendums: All charting is done in an EHR. Addendums can be found here, too. If charting is not complete on time, the veterans do not receive their benefits, and the potential for additional work is reduced.

Step 1-Items Needed to Name Clear
: We will need the items listed below in order to get your name cleared before our client sends their credentialing packet.

• Current cv
  • Medical license(unrestricted)
  • NPDB self-inquiry report, if you have any current or previous malpractice lawsuits, infractions, restrictions, or Medical Board complaints(These do not necessarily exclude you from this opportunity.)
Must Complete in Order to be fully Credentialed:
  • Step 2-Complete Critical Access Network Contract
  • Step 3-Complete client credentialing package
  • Step 4-Complete client assessments within 48hrs
  • Step 5-Watch online training videos with instructions for navigating the physician portal, completing notes, etc.
Compensation: The base rate of pay is $150 per patient(this rate increases for patients with 6 or more DBQs). They also pay $40 for no-shows. Client requires all notes be completed within 48 hours and current prior to sending payment. Payments provided twice per month.
  • Base rate $150 flat per-patient rate
  • Veterans with 6-9 DBQs(disability questionnaires generated by the VA/single or bundled) $250
  • Veterans with 10-15 DBQs $400
  • Veterans with 16+ DBQs $500
  • Medical opinion $25(with exam); $50(without exam)
  • COI covered by Critical Access Network

Kindly,
Max
cleardot.gif

Contact him and see if he has anything where you at:

[email protected]

By the way, I post it here because OP might need it some day. Not trying to derail his thread.

They will get malpractice for you.

Here are the terms:

COVID Protocols
: PPE equipment provided, temperatures checked for providers and veterans, rooms sanitized between appointments, appointments staggered to support 6ft of social distancing, and other measures and expectations.

Position Overview: You will simply conduct an evaluation based on disability questionnaires provided by the VA and attached to each veteran's records. You will not prescribe medicine. These evaluations are done so that the veteran can continue to receive their disability benefits. Each evaluation takes roughly 40min-1hr, and that includes documenting their responses and any notes you may have. If charting takes longer, we can negotiate extra compensation. There are no clinical care requirements. You will not be their primary care provider.

Schedule and Frequency: Veterans are only scheduled when you are available. You will coordinate your schedule with a Scheduler. Example: If you only have nights and weekends or can work 4 days each month, you will be scheduled based on your availability.

Volume: As well, there are no minimums nor maximums regarding the number of patients to be seen per shift.

Location and Sites: Veterans will be seen in person, at an offsite medical facility, a doctor’s office that has been rented for the day, that will be close to you or within a reasonable driving distance up to 50 miles. Sometimes a phone consultation is had to clarify a veteran's condition or respond to an addendum from the VA.

Credentialing: Credentialing usually takes up to 7-10 days once you have sent in and completed all documentation and assessments.

Training: After credentialing is complete, a welcome email will be sent with a link to the online training. After this, you will have access to a representative at all times to help when and if needed.

Completion of charting/addendums: All charting is done in an EHR. Addendums can be found here, too. If charting is not complete on time, the veterans do not receive their benefits, and the potential for additional work is reduced.

Step 1-Items Needed to Name Clear
: We will need the items listed below in order to get your name cleared before our client sends their credentialing packet.

• Current cv
  • Medical license(unrestricted)
  • NPDB self-inquiry report, if you have any current or previous malpractice lawsuits, infractions, restrictions, or Medical Board complaints(These do not necessarily exclude you from this opportunity.)
Must Complete in Order to be fully Credentialed:
  • Step 2-Complete Critical Access Network Contract
  • Step 3-Complete client credentialing package
  • Step 4-Complete client assessments within 48hrs
  • Step 5-Watch online training videos with instructions for navigating the physician portal, completing notes, etc.
Compensation: The base rate of pay is $150 per patient(this rate increases for patients with 6 or more DBQs). They also pay $40 for no-shows. Client requires all notes be completed within 48 hours and current prior to sending payment. Payments provided twice per month.
  • Base rate $150 flat per-patient rate
  • Veterans with 6-9 DBQs(disability questionnaires generated by the VA/single or bundled) $250
  • Veterans with 10-15 DBQs $400
  • Veterans with 16+ DBQs $500
  • Medical opinion $25(with exam); $50(without exam)
  • COI covered by Critical Access Network

Kindly,
Max
cleardot.gif

Contact him and see if he has anything where you at:

[email protected]

Thanks splenda that was really helpful.

Sure.. some of em were sketchy too. Never had any problems, though.

Sure.. some of em were sketchy too. Never had any problems, though.
Ok. I take it you are a guy though right ---> ThoracicGUY? :) i am not sure i'd feel comfortable doing that as a woman

Ok. I take it you are a guy though right ---> ThoracicGUY? :) i am not sure i'd feel comfortable doing that as a woman

Sure. Most of the people and houses were average. I did most of it in smaller towns when I did that job. There was a bunch of driving, but I never felt unsafe. If you're not sure about it, it's probably not a job for you and you should look to other things.

I like your Bible verse. :)
Good for your wife. I worry about safety so maybe not for me.

What is there to worry about? The people you’re going to see are usually in absolutely no shape to be able to do anything to you even if they wanted to (not that they do). They are just patients that need help and for whatever reason can’t get it out of their home. If you get to a home and it seems like it’s unsafe, you just don’t go in.

Reactions: 6 users
If you get the impression the medical board is going to deny the license, you may want to ask for the option of withdrawing your application before they deny it. You don't want to have to put a denial on future license applications in other states.

You may ultimately have to declare that you've withdrawn a licensing application in the past on future license applications depending on the state.

What is there to worry about? The people you’re going to see are usually in absolutely no shape to be able to do anything to you even if they wanted to (not that they do). They are just patients that need help and for whatever reason can’t get it out of their home. If you get to a home and it seems like it’s unsafe, you just don’t go in.

I came across this opportunity, for Teladoc health. Med director with no residency training! Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did it, it was $100/patient, up to 9 in a day. Plus you got a rental car, hotel room, and $55 per diem for food a day. You were considered an independent contractor, so you did have to do estimated taxes quarterly. You could contribute to a solo 401k, though, and save a bunch for retirement.
Out of curiosity, how long did you sell your soul to Signify? I didn't last very long before I quit (<1 month).

Out of curiosity, how long did you sell your soul to Signify? I didn't last very long before I quit (<1 month).

Redpancreas, would you mind sharing your experience? I had thought about doing these evals but it does seem predatory. Seems the pay is absurdly low. How much do these companies get from Medicare for these evals?
What didn't you like about it?

Redpancreas, would you mind sharing your experience? I had thought about doing these evals but it does seem predatory. Seems the pay is absurdly low. How much do these companies get from Medicare for these evals?
What didn't you like about it?

Briefly as to not derail, there's a recruiter who you contact, he tells you you can make $4K/week doing these evals working M-Sat. He looks you up via your unrestricted license, sends you an application, you do it, they shuttle you across a zone (can be as large as a 30 mile radius) where you see mainly homebound patients. You ask them this long list of questions that anyone from a substitute teacher to homekeeper can ask the patient. You mark down their responses without room for interpretation. There is no assessment, plan, or medical advice provided. If the patient is home you get credit for the visit. It's just under $100/visit.

The parts I didn't like were the rate of no-shows and technical issues. There was hardly anyone to report to. Often times I was underpaid and had to fight for my compensation. Additionally I had to leave the area and the area I am in right now doesn't have much demand.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I lasted 10 months? I quit when I got my position.
I sometimes regret not staying longer. I did it for a month but could have done it for two. Tbh it’s not a bad gig. Guess I just wanted to chill at home with parents.

I sometimes regret not staying longer. I did it for a month but could have done it for two. Tbh it’s not a bad gig. Guess I just wanted to chill at home with parents.

I had a wedding to help pay for and bills. I couldn't afford to not work and this gave me flexibility to search for the right job for what I wanted.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't mind sharing, how much, on average, were you actually bringing home weekly? Taking into account no-shows, etc.

Sure. Most of the people and houses were average. I did most of it in smaller towns when I did that job. There was a bunch of driving, but I never felt unsafe. If you're not sure about it, it's probably not a job for you and you should look to other things.

If you don't mind sharing, how much, on average, were you actually bringing home weekly? Taking into account no-shows, etc.

Pre-tax, I got up to 8-9 people a day, 5 days a week. That would be $4000-4500 per week on average. Sometimes it was less, so I'd get maybe $3000 a week, but I'd say average was around $4k. This is several years ago, though.

I got just under $2000 for one week's work. ThoracicGuy probably had a better area than I did.

Pre-tax, I got up to 8-9 people a day, 5 days a week. That would be $4000-4500 per week on average. Sometimes it was less, so I'd get maybe $3000 a week, but I'd say average was around $4k. This is several years ago, though.
How long does it take to set up?

Already met with them 3 weeks ago with my lawyer (I lawyered up with someone from a firm experienced in medical licensing). They have 90 days to gather information from my residency, family doc, and psychiatrist, then I guess the board will take their time in deciding. A spot opened up in an occ med program but I was rejected from it, so I am going to have to apply broadly this coming year.

I think this is the time of the year most residents who will get non-renewals generally get them, and threads asking for advice will concentrate on forums like these. I don't think it necessarily reflects a higher rate of terminations, but it has certainly disillusioned me to medicine.
Just out of curiosity, did they send you a letter saying that you were under investigation and the board wanted to meet with you?

How long does it take to set up?

What sort of set up do you mean? I went through a little training document and that was about it. I was then told where to go and as long as I had a permanent license for it, I was set up in a hotel and with a rental car. I then got a list of people to go see along with the documents to fill out. I understand this is done electronically now, though. Wouldn't take too long to go through it all and get going. The biggest hold up would be having a permanent license, particularly if it was in a different state from where you currently have licenses.

Just out of curiosity, did they send you a letter saying that you were under investigation and the board wanted to meet with you?
Nope, never received any letters from the board, just a phone call from the investigator. I assumed that if an investigator was interviewing me I was under investigation though...

• Care
Nope, never received any letters from the board, just a phone call from the investigator. I assumed that if an investigator was interviewing me I was under investigation though...
The reason why i ask is because some boards have a specific question under the license application "Have you ever been the subject of an investigation by any licensing board?"

...Another thing OP is your training license will still be active in the state of your first residency for another year. If you do not get a license (or even while you get that worked out) have you considered filling one of the many presumably open preliminary spots? It will provide a year's work & pay. The downside if you may ultimately be restricted in applying to and interviewing to as many places as you'd like in ERAS 2021-22 and I don't know if that's worth the risk.
While the training license may "technically" be listed as active on the website, they are often restricted to the specific institution and stipulate continued training there. OP wouldn't be able to practice medicine in any capacity after being non-renewed.

It also doesn't matter. It's very easy to get a training license once you have a residency spot, so it doesn't matter where OP gets a position and there's no reason to prioritize getting a spot in the same state.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I did that and people thought I was crazy. You never know what curveball life can bring you. I think your advice should be all over SDN.

It cost me ~$700 to be licensed after PGY1 but I had a peace of mind after I did it.
My entire time through med school, I had a singular goal, and that was completion of my intern year for my independent license. It was a relief to get that damn piece of paper. I knew at that moment if things got bad I could peace out and still support my family.

After that my next goal was 3 yrs so I could get licensed in any state. Now my goal is finishing this program, but I currently have 1 unrestricted license and working on another (one in a 3yr state that I'm planning to settle in).

I watched 4 residents I knew at my institution get removed/non-renewed in <2 yrs of residency, I knew the score, and I was going to prepare for the worst. Fortunately, I haven't seen anyone get removed in the last 2 yrs.

private DO school tuition plus high COL in Fort Lauderdale plus zero family money. It's not that unusual. It's not like I have 600K.
Nowadays $250-$300k is very normal. Private tuition is like $50-$60k per year, plus $20k at least for COL.

While the training license may "technically" be listed as active on the website, they are often restricted to the specific institution and stipulate continued training there. OP wouldn't be able to practice medicine in any capacity after being non-renewed.

It also doesn't matter. It's very easy to get a training license once you have a residency spot, so it doesn't matter where OP gets a position and there's no reason to prioritize getting a spot in the same state.
Thank you. I didn't know this. I renewed mine for residency in the same state and it went right through after the credit card payment.

My entire time through med school, I had a singular goal, and that was completion of my intern year for my independent license. It was a relief to get that damn piece of paper. I knew at that moment if things got bad I could peace out and still support my family.

After that my next goal was 3 yrs so I could get licensed in any state. Now my goal is finishing this program, but I currently have 1 unrestricted license and working on another (one in a 3yr state that I'm planning to settle in).

I watched 4 residents I knew at my institution get removed/non-renewed in <2 yrs of residency, I knew the score, and I was going to prepare for the worst. Fortunately, I haven't seen anyone get removed in the last 2 yrs.

Nowadays $250-$300k is very normal. Private tuition is like $50-$60k per year, plus $20k at least for COL.
I was surprised that many AMG in my program did not even know that they could have unrestricted medical license after PGY1.

I was surprised that many AMG in my program did not even know that they could have unrestricted medical license after PGY1.

Problem is that any issues in residency if you have an unrestricted license will go to that license. So if you get sued, it goes on the license.

• Hmm
Problem is that any issues in residency if you have an unrestricted license will go to that license. So if you get sued, it goes on the license.

If your name is on the lawsuit, it doesn't matter. The lawsuit isn't against your license, it's against you. You have to report it for forever, every time you apply for new privileges or licenses, either way. If you are still a trainee, the attending physician of record is likely also going to be named and the trainees often get dropped later on.

Reactions: 6 users
If your name is on the lawsuit, it doesn't matter. The lawsuit isn't against your license, it's against you. You have to report it for forever, every time you apply for new privileges or licenses, either way. If you are still a trainee, the attending physician of record is likely also going to be named and the trainees often get dropped later on.
This is one of the things with modern medicine (litigious society) that makes it tough as an attending. We want to give our residents and fellows (especially upper years) a good taste of independence while still in training, but in the end it's our butts on the line if something goes wrong so it makes it tough for us to give up that constant oversight.

• Love

Will be starting residency with an unrestricted license. Does that mean if something were to happen, I would incur more liability than if I had a training license? Very interested to hear this.

Will be starting residency with an unrestricted license. Does that mean if something were to happen, I would incur more liability than if I had a training license? Very interested to hear this.

Yes. Reason why many residents DON'T get an unrestricted license while in residency. At the end of the day during residency you do what your attending wants - and if they are wrong you don't have a say.

Yes. Reason why many residents DON'T get an unrestricted license while in residency. At the end of the day during residency you do what your attending wants - and if they are wrong you don't have a say.
@Smurfette said something about the license not mattering, but then she/he says "If you are still a trainee, the attending physician of record is likely also going to be named and the trainees often get dropped later on". I am wondering if trainee is being defined by license (training vs. unrestricted) vs. actual job description (resident/attending).

@Smurfette said something about the license not mattering, but then she/he says "If you are still a trainee, the attending physician of record is likely also going to be named and the trainees often get dropped later on". I am wondering if trainee is being defined by license (training vs. unrestricted) vs. actual job description (resident/attending).
Considering that about half of states don't have a "training license", and that, with CA as an example, they make you get your permanent license by the end of PGY-2, and there are, what, about 63 licensing boards (that includes territories and states with DO boards), the answer is, "it depends".

Think of it this way, by analogy: attending/resident, parent and child. Attending and resident/fellow with full, unrestricted license, parent and adult child. If something goes wrong with the first, virtually all of the heat to the parent. With the second, the heat spreads somewhat.

Considering that about half of states don't have a "training license", and that, with CA as an example, they make you get your permanent license by the end of PGY-2, and there are, what, about 63 licensing boards (that includes territories and states with DO boards), the answer is, "it depends".

Think of it this way, by analogy: attending/resident, parent and child. Attending and resident/fellow with full, unrestricted license, parent and adult child. If something goes wrong with the first, virtually all of the heat to the parent. With the second, the heat spreads somewhat.
Mm...yeah, I guess none of this matters now because I have a training and unrestricted license so I can't take it back. I'll just have to be extra careful as I should be anyways in residency.

Mm...yeah, I guess none of this matters now because I have a training and unrestricted license so I can't take it back. I'll just have to be extra careful as I should be anyways in residency.
Remember, would you rather be right, or popular? If you can look yourself in the eye with honesty, you'll sleep the sleep of the righteous.

We were required to get our unrestricted license before starting PGY3. It was a hospital wide GME policy for all the hundreds of residents. It was fine. It did not increase our liability, as I am sure the resident union would have never let that policy fly if it did. The residents I knew with an unrestricted license who were sued while in training were dropped from their suits (usually after giving a deposition, in which it was made clear they were a trainee working under supervision) and they went after the attendings and hospital instead.

Given that moonlighting and often times, fellowships, require an unrestricted license, I wouldn't lose any sleep on this. It's hardly rare to have a full license while a trainee even though having one as an intern is unusual.
If you are moonlighting as an attending (i.e. you aren't being supervised and the job requires a full license), you are going to be liable as an attending because there is no one overseeing your decisions.

This is not an issue. You as an individual are named on a lawsuit, regardless of your license. You can be sued with a training license just as easily as you can be sued with an independent license. The only difference might be that an action could be taken against your independent license (as opposed to your training license) based on the lawsuit, which again I can't think of a situation in which that would matter. Many licenses already ask if you've been named in lawsuits upon application and they also ask if you've had an action taken against any licenses (training or otherwise).

If you get named in a suit it's bad regardless, and will unfortunately follow you. If you ultimately get dropped from a suit (as what commonly happens to trainees in lawsuits affiliated with residency action regardless of their licenses), it'll be a footnote on license applications and credentialing, and if you don't get dropped it'll be a bigger issue. I've known multiple people that have been named in suits initially, including residents. Most of the cases were either dismissed or the doc is dropped (virtually all of the residents experienced this). The rare case is settled, and the exceedingly rarer case results in a license action or something worse. This is unfortunately a feature of our careers.

Below is a correspondence I got from a recruiter I worked with. This job accept area of critical need (ACN) license. It seems like a good gig for a GP.
If I were OP, I would apply for a FL license as well.

Can we connect about a position in North FL?

FLIM38
North FL Family Practice or Internal Medicine
Gulf coast of FL not far from Tallahassee, FL
H1 visa accepted
They can also take ACN docs
Client working on loan payback program

8:30 to 5pm Mon to Friday, one hour lunch break
Call is once week for the admissions plus nurse on call handles first call
One day per week/night on call for the practice, beeper call
One in every 8 weeks is weekend call. Admit patients if needed then
Only rounding on own patients
$200K base salary plus bonus plan
4 weeks vacation, health insurance, malpractice insurance, 401k and cme covered
seeing about 20 -25 patients per day is goal

Most in SDN would tell you that you can't do anything with a GP license because they are repeating what academia feeds them.

Last edited:
Below is a correspondence I got from a recruiter I worked with. This job accept area of critical need (ACN) license. It seems like a good gig for a GP.

FLIM38
H1 visa accepted

Most in SDN would tell you that you can't do anything with a GP license because they are repeating what academia feeds them.

You can find jobs with an unrestricted medical license without residency...but you do have to wonder why these employers are so willing to get someone less trained and qualified to work for them. It’s because they are very commonly less desirable jobs for one reason or another...whether it’s location, pay, responsibilities, or hours.

You can definitely make it work, and many have...but it does significantly limit your options for employment.

Reactions: 7 users

FLIM38
H1 visa accepted

Or what the real world scenario of needing insurance companies to accept them for reimbursement and hospitals to grant privileges...if you don’t do either of those things, then you may be able to find patients that will pay up front for services.
Maybe before you decide that most of SDN are academic lemmings , you may want to actually step into the real world of medicine...residency is not it...and you won’t learn that until you have experienced the real world of medicine

Or what the real world scenario of needing insurance companies to accept them for reimbursement and hospitals to grant privileges...if you don’t do either of those things, then you may be able to find patients that will pay up front for services.
Maybe before you decide that most of SDN are academic lemmings , you may want to actually step into the real world of medicine...residency is not it...and you won’t learn that until you have experienced the real world of medicine

To be fair, @Splenda88 has been quite the curious george poking around all sorts of forums I imagine. NP/PA forums, I'm sure he/she looks at attending forums, physician job forums, etc.

You can go ahead a read my previous posts. Of course BC certified doc will open more doors, but you can also make a good living as a GP. I lived in south FL (not rural America) and GPs were EVERYWHERE. I am friends with a few.