Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone! I'm getting such good vibes from everyone that I hope we end up as classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard about Creighton University post-Baccalaureate program? Just wondering
If not, what other Master of Health Sciences program or Post Bac did you guys apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried the free trial of U world and it was wonderful for that’s short period of time.. I’ve heard that claws are a waste of money two but sometimes i feel like they have little tips that’s ould be beneficial for the test . Have you ever taken any prep courses?
what's U world please?

Oh that's weird! :( The lady I talked to said that should work! I would give them a call tomorrow to see what is up with that! I'm personally just using the ones from my AMCAS, so I ended up not using my service that I stored my letters on at all..
how did you use the letters from the AMCAS? I am asking because my recommenders sent it directly so I didn't have access to it to be able to use them again. Can you please explain how you used the AMCAs letters?

If you can possibly take the MCAT or DAT before the program start and get the 501 that you need, you will be saving yourself $1400 which the school charges to your account for the mandatory Kaplan reviews. So I would highly suggest getting the MCAT and DAT at the level it needs to be at before you potentially enroll in the program.

With a good score already, what else will you be doing in the program? I thought the point was for it to prepare you to retake the MCAT.
SO once you get accepted you still have to sent out an AMCAS application like every body else. You just don't matriculate directly?

Since I was retaking it, I didn’t really focus on content review. I just did a bunch of practice problems and made Anki cards ! I stopped taking notes. Just make flash cards.

Week 1: did all the EK 1001 passages for chem, orgo, bio, and phys.
Week 2: TBR biochem passages, started uworld passages for P/S only
Week 3: all UWORLD + Khan Academy passages

Transitioned to ONLY AAMC material

Week 4: all AAMC QPACKS + first round of SB

Week 5: I think I took 2 AAMC FL practice tests and reviewed

Week 6: second round of SBs and took my last AAMC test

Week 7: test week + light Anki review

I also made sure I tracked my FL score breakdown (I attached it). As you can see, AAMC FL 3 was the most predictive so focus on that test!

And I didn’t purchase the SB, I got the FAP last cycle so it was free. I had to buy the bio, phys, and chem QBs though. AAMC 1 was the easiest and I think the MCAT exam is leaning more towards AAMC 3

WHere can I find the EK 1001 passages? is it the ones at the end of their respective books?
ANd how did you make Khan academy into audios?

Has anyone heard about Creighton University post-Baccalaureate program? Just wondering
If not, what other Master of Health Sciences program or Post Bac did you guys apply to?
I've heard of Crieghton's post bacc. I almost did it but I was not too fond of getting anymore private loans. Besides the snow there it seems the program does a pretty good job of getting their students into a med school. And I would check out the AMCAS site where they have a centralized database of most/all the post baccs and Special Masters programs

Reactions: 1 user
I am not doing another post bacc masters. I'm going for public health but not to get into medical school. It's something that I really want.

WHere can I find the EK 1001 passages? is it the ones at the end of their respective books?
ANd how did you make Khan academy into audios?

You honest find the link for those on reddit. I love that site (sorry SDN) .

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how did you use the letters from the AMCAS? I am asking because my recommenders sent it directly so I didn't have access to it to be able to use them again. Can you please explain how you used the AMCAs letters?

If you applied to their med school this cycle, they should already have your file with mcat scores, transcript, as well as letters of recommendation. I just followed what the admissions told me to do which was to write down the info of the two recommenders in the recommendation section of the MHS program application.. but for their emails put the admissions email instead of the recommenders so nothing would get sent to them! Since the application needed two uniques emails, I just put Meharry's admission email for one recommender, and just used their registrar email for the other.. I called on Monday one last time to double check that they don't need anything else, and the admission guy on the phone once more stated that it is ok, as long as they have your AMCAS file, they will use the letters, mcat scores, etc.. from it. He said that if there is anything else they want, they will basically email us to let us know. Hope this helps! :)

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I applied to both DO and MD post bacs. For DO I applied to Nova and Touro. For MD I applied to Georgetown Gems program, Morehouse, and FIU. I think there was one more I applied to but I can't remember it.

With a good score already, what else will you be doing in the program? I thought the point was for it to prepare you to retake the MCAT.
SO once you get accepted you still have to sent out an AMCAS application like every body else. You just don't matriculate directly?

Good for you! The point of the program is actually to prepare you for 1st year of Medical/Dental school. If you already have the MCAT score then you will do research of the winter break

Good for you! The point of the program is actually to prepare you for 1st year of Medical/Dental school. If you already have the MCAT score then you will do research of the winter break

I completely agree.. I think this program is also a great way to prove yourself to them @lovedovey19 , and basically get an acceptance for med/dental school the following year.. as someone posted earlier, with a higher mcat score you still aren't guaranteed a spot in med school if you apply regularly, but they basically just ask for these requirements and save you a seat for the following year if you fulfill them (at least from what I understand..)

I have two more questions for you @Grizzlysmiles if you don't mind regarding the classes we take in this program:

1) How much time do you usually dedicate just for studying every week (so excluding class/lecture time)?
2) In your opinion (now that you are almost done with this program), which classes were the easiest, and which ones you had to put the most work/effort in to get a good grade? And why do you think they were hard (e.g. tests were very tricky, or just massive amount of info needed to be memorized etc..?)

Thank you so much for answering all of our questions so far, it really helped me get a much better picture about how the program works, its true benefits, etc.. !! :)

So are you no longer interested in Meharry’s master program ?
Yes but I had applied before the meharry invite and had already accepted prior to do that. I wasn't waiting on med school to pursue the mph part of my eventual goal of md/mph or do/mph. If the school works where there is a definite guaranteed spot on next year's class then I'll go if it's just guaranteed interview then I won't

Yes but I had applied before the meharry invite and had already accepted prior to do that. I wasn't waiting on med school to pursue the mph part of my eventual goal of md/mph or do/mph. If the school works where there is a definite guaranteed spot on next year's class then I'll go if it's just guaranteed interview then I won't
That is a good point of clarification. My understanding is they save a seat for us a d if we meet the requirements it's automatic/guaranteed. But if you so you lose your seat.

@Kojo90 that's my understanding too but I'm waiting to see the matriculation agreement before I make that decision. I mean push come to shove I can defer my MPH because God forbid I lose my seat then I can continue on

Okay, gotcha. Wish you the best in your decision !

@Kojo90 that's my understanding too but I'm waiting to see the matriculation agreement before I make that decision. I mean push come to shove I can defer my MPH because God forbid I lose my seat then I can continue on
But be optimistic. If you get in I'm sure most or all of he class will make sure we all.meet our goals

Reactions: 4 users
I completely agree.. I think this program is also a great way to prove yourself to them @lovedovey19 , and basically get an acceptance for med/dental school the following year.. as someone posted earlier, with a higher mcat score you still aren't guaranteed a spot in med school if you apply regularly, but they basically just ask for these requirements and save you a seat for the following year if you fulfill them (at least from what I understand..)

I have two more questions for you @Grizzlysmiles if you don't mind regarding the classes we take in this program:

1) How much time do you usually dedicate just for studying every week (so excluding class/lecture time)?
2) In your opinion (now that you are almost done with this program), which classes were the easiest, and which ones you had to put the most work/effort in to get a good grade? And why do you think they were hard (e.g. tests were very tricky, or just massive amount of info needed to be memorized etc..?)

Thank you so much for answering all of our questions so far, it really helped me get a much better picture about how the program works, its true benefits, etc.. !! :)

I probably study about 4 hours a day outside of class, and then on the weekends I probably study a good 8-10 hours in addition. If accepted into the program you will have a Big Sib who will help you navigate the classes. So dont worry about all that other stuff. If you can, I would say start brushing up on Amino Acid structures and etc., because that material was assumed that we all knew it Day 1 of Biochemistry... so I started off about 2 weeks behind because I relearned those structures. Also start familiarizing yourself with anatomical vocabulary like: Superior, Rostral, Dorsal, etc. because thats also a Week one thing, and It took me forever to remember all those directions. Lol.

The classes we took are: Neurosciene, Biochemistry, Cellular/Molecular Bio, Microbio, Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, and Pharmacology. The program is not hard if you put in the work. When you get accepted I will tell you more... but for now. I think this is the only information that would benefit you as prospective students of the program.

Hey guys. I called this morning to get some clarity on applying to this program. I already applied to their dental school in July 2018 and I haven't heard anything from them ever since then. I called the admissions office today and a woman told me that it was in my best interest to apply even though I did not receive an invitation to do so. I asked if they would be able to use my transcript, DAT score, and letters of recommendation from my AADSAS application. She said no, because it is a separate program. I don't know if I should wait for an email invitation or go ahead and apply. The deadline on the application said May 15..

I probably study about 4 hours a day outside of class, and then on the weekends I probably study a good 8-10 hours in addition. If accepted into the program you will have a Big Sib who will help you navigate the classes. So dont worry about all that other stuff. If you can, I would say start brushing up on Amino Acid structures and etc., because that material was assumed that we all knew it Day 1 of Biochemistry... so I started off about 2 weeks behind because I relearned those structures. Also start familiarizing yourself with anatomical vocabulary like: Superior, Rostral, Dorsal, etc. because thats also a Week one thing, and It took me forever to remember all those directions. Lol.

The classes we took are: Neurosciene, Biochemistry, Cellular/Molecular Bio, Microbio, Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, and Pharmacology. The program is not hard if you put in the work. When you get accepted I will tell you more... but for now. I think this is the only information that would benefit you as prospective students of the program.

Thank you very much for your answer, will do! :)

Hey guys. I called this morning to get some clarity on applying to this program. I already applied to their dental school in July 2018 and I haven't heard anything from them ever since then. I called the admissions office today and a woman told me that it was in my best interest to apply even though I did not receive an invitation to do so. I asked if they would be able to use my transcript, DAT score, and letters of recommendation from my AADSAS application. She said no, because it is a separate program. I don't know if I should wait for an email invitation or go ahead and apply. The deadline on the application said May 15..
If you don’t hear anything my the end of April, i would just apply. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity , just in case.

I would start working on it now though. Just in case.

Does anyone have an idea of how many people actually apply to this program and/or gets invited? My brain is trying to calculate my chances :dead: Lol

If you applied to their med school this cycle, they should already have your file with mcat scores, transcript, as well as letters of recommendation. I just followed what the admissions told me to do which was to write down the info of the two recommenders in the recommendation section of the MHS program application.. but for their emails put the admissions email instead of the recommenders so nothing would get sent to them! Since the application needed two uniques emails, I just put Meharry's admission email for one recommender, and just used their registrar email for the other.. I called on Monday one last time to double check that they don't need anything else, and the admission guy on the phone once more stated that it is ok, as long as they have your AMCAS file, they will use the letters, mcat scores, etc.. from it. He said that if there is anything else they want, they will basically email us to let us know. Hope this helps! :)

I am quite surprised,

I wasn't saying I got a good grade. I was speaking in case I retake it before the program, what use will it be to do this program.
Thank you for your answer :)

I wasn't saying I got a good grade. I was speaking in case I retake it before the program, what use will it be to do this program.
Thank you for your answer :)
It makes sense that if you retake it before and make the benchmark you're good to go. If not you would take it again.

Question.. for the Morehouse question did they take the rec letters from amcas or did you have to email your letter writers again? Also Same question for the transcripts ..

Question.. for the Morehouse question did they take the rec letters from amcas or did you have to email your letter writers again? Also Same question for the transcripts ..

Not sure I understand your question.. :( ??the Morehouse question??

Does anyone have an idea of how many people actually apply to this program and/or gets invited? My brain is trying to calculate my chances :dead: Lol

+1 on that, I would love to know how competitive it is to get into this program!! Maybe a current student might know and can shed some light on an average from last year? @Grizzlysmiles

+1 on that, I would love to know how competitive it is to get into this program!! Maybe a current student might know and can shed some light on an average from last year? @Grizzlysmiles

Sorry, cant help you. This program was invite only last year. So as far as I know, pretty much everyone that was invited to it was accepted to the program. I have no idea how many people might be applying this year. Just pray on it. Lol! Don’t worry yourself with useless statistics. Have faith. What I can tell you is that last year, the applications that were not rejected right away got rejection letters in like May, which told them that they were being considered for the MHS program, then they were accepted into the program a couple weeks after that letter. So if you applied to Med/Dent a long time ago and have heard nothing yet, that might be because they don’t want to reject you yet. They may be considering you for this program.. It just depends on how well you stack up against the other people they put in that same pile. Good Luck!

I’m just hoping that all denied applicants didn’t get sent the invite. But even if they did it’s not a guarantee that most applied... man they need to let us know something next week my nerves are getting bad lol.

Just read through the thread (super late, I know) but I'm applying as well. Good luck to everyone. I hope the program is as they (and you all said), invite only, no interview etc. so our chances are better:xf:. I emailed them with my questions also but unfortunately got the same response as everyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
Just read through the thread (super late, I know) but I'm applying as well. Good luck to everyone. I hope the program is as they (and you all said), invite only, no interview etc. so our chances are better:xf:. I emailed them with my questions also but unfortunately got the same response as everyone else.

Welcome, and best of luck to you!! :)

Sorry, cant help you. This program was invite only last year. So as far as I know, pretty much everyone that was invited to it was accepted to the program. I have no idea how many people might be applying this year. Just pray on it. Lol! Don’t worry yourself with useless statistics. Have faith. What I can tell you is that last year, the applications that were not rejected right away got rejection letters in like May, which told them that they were being considered for the MHS program, then they were accepted into the program a couple weeks after that letter. So if you applied to Med/Dent a long time ago and have heard nothing yet, that might be because they don’t want to reject you yet. They may be considering you for this program.. It just depends on how well you stack up against the other people they put in that same pile. Good Luck!

Thank you.. I hope that this year is similar to yours, and most of us who got invited get an acceptance into the program.. it is just hard to tell for sure since there was an application for the first time this year.. Praying, and staying positive though! :xf:

You are asking about morehouse post bac program?
Hasn’t the deadline passed already ? I’m not sure if I should apply. Do they ask for letter of recommendation as well? And a personal statement ?

Yes to faith and prayer! Thanks for the info!

Hasn’t the deadline passed already ? I’m not sure if I should apply. Do they ask for letter of recommendation as well? And a personal statement ?
I know they have a masters program. They have a post bacc too?

Yeah the Morehouse one.. and I’m actually not sure if it’s passed on not. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.