Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard of Crieghton's post bacc. I almost did it but I was not too fond of getting anymore private loans. Besides the snow there it seems the program does a pretty good job of getting their students into a med school. And I would check out the AMCAS site where they have a centralized database of most/all the post baccs and Special Masters programs
so Meharry's program is not with private loans?

Members don't see this ad.

Question: I have been reading this thread for a while but have been confused if any dental students got an invite to the MHS program.

so Meharry's program is not with private loans?
From my understanding it is a masters program/graduate program. So a graduate program means you take out government loans.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question: I have been reading this thread for a while but have been confused if any dental students got an invite to the MHS program.
Not that I know of. They are a little behind. We should know something in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope we will be given more info soon if we submitted prior to April 1st. I have 6 days to put down a nonrefundable deposit at Ross but would rather stay in the States

I hope we will be given more info soon if we submitted prior to April 1st. I have 6 days to put down a nonrefundable deposit at Ross but would rather stay in the States
Hmm. So if they wait past the 6 days you will go ahead and submit a deposit? What made you apply to Ross?

...Ross doesn’t have a great track record with match. if you’re considering the Caribbean route then I suggest you look into SGU. You can still apply and start in September...or January.

Hmm. So if they wait past the 6 days you will go ahead and submit a deposit? What made you apply to Ross?
Yeah I will submit it just to be safe. I applied because the assistant director of admissions reached out to me to come speak at my university. When she visited, I found that their mission and purpose really aligned with my personal beliefs, and I know several doctors locally who attended Ross and loved it.

Yeah I will submit it just to be safe. I applied because the assistant director of admissions reached out to me to come speak at my university. When she visited, I found that their mission and purpose really aligned with my personal beliefs, and I know several doctors locally who attended Ross and loved it.

Ok, makes sense. I wish you the best with whatever you decide

To add on to this. Ross today isn't what it was back in the day. As a matter a fact Carribian schools today aren't like they were back in the day. We see alot of Carib med alum in academic Medicine today from a long time ago but that isn't the pipeline now due to all the new US med schools popping up. I also have friends that went this route that tell me do not do it unless it is my absolute last resort. Now for you it depends on what your goals are if it is Family Med or primary care I think you will be okay going that route but will still have to worry about a horrible attrition rate etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
To add on to this. Ross today isn't what it was back in the day. As a matter a fact Carribian schools today aren't like they were back in the day. We see alot of Carib med alum in academic Medicine today from a long time ago but that isn't the pipeline now due to all the new US med schools popping up. I also have friends that went this route that tell me do not do it unless it is my absolute last resort. Now for you it depends on what your goals are if it is Family Med or primary care I think you will be okay going that route but will still have to worry about a horrible attrition rate etc.

Yeah I hear stories.. however it’s not as bad as everyone on sdn makes it seem like. Both my siblings went through that route and matched into their residency. If he does choose that route, just know you’d have to work 10x harder than most other medical students .

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I hear stories.. however it’s not as bad as everyone on sdn makes it seem like. Both my siblings went through that route and matched into their residency. If he does choose that route, just know you’d have to work 10x harder than most other medical students .
Exactly. 10x harder just to have a seat. I think it's a good opportunity if you feel like you have run out of options. But if you are being considered for this program that means at least 1 med school sees something in your app meaning most likely others do too.

But best of luck with your decision!

I work at a med school and Caribbean medical grads almost never get the big faculty jobs and the few that do get hired aren’t as respected (and they get stuck with the Assistant Professor title for Yearsssssss). So I agree that you have to be intentional with this route...especially with your specialty

Yeah I’ve spoken with current residents who attended Ross, so I’m not going into it blindly. I visited the new campus two weeks ago and spoke with several current students as well. But I’m really praying for this opportunity at Meharry considering I’m from TN and stand by their “Worship to God through service to mankind” motto. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I’ve spoken with current residents who attended Ross, so I’m not going into it blindly. I visited the new campus two weeks ago and spoke with several current students as well. But I’m really praying for this opportunity at Meharry considering I’m from TN and stand by their “Worship to God through service to mankind” motto. Fingers crossed!
I hope you get in!!!

I work at a med school and Caribbean medical grads almost never get the big faculty jobs and the few that do get hired aren’t as respected (and they get stuck with the Assistant Professor title for Yearsssssss). So I agree that you have to be intentional with this route...especially with your specialty
Yeah there is unfortunately a huge bias. Which is interesting because although it is easier to gain admission to a Carib med school it for sure is more difficult to finish at one. Due to those extra factors.

Anyways..... I hope we start hearing something soon lol!

For your sake, I definitely hope we hear back soon. Ross is one of my options next year. I know there's tons of neg things said about Caribbean schools but my GYN went to Ross and is one of the most innovative GYNs in Maryland. Good luck on everything!

For your sake, I definitely hope we hear back soon. Ross is one of my options next year. I know there's tons of neg things said about Caribbean schools but my GYN went to Ross and is one of the most innovative GYNs in Maryland. Good luck on everything!

Thank you! Good luck to you too! After visiting the island, I realized how mentally hard it would be for me to leave everything and go to school there, but it does take sacrifice. I’m just hoping it doesn’t come to that because Barbados is EXPENSIVE!

Thank you! Good luck to you too! After visiting the island, I realized how mentally hard it would be for me to leave everything and go to school there, but it does take sacrifice. I’m just hoping it doesn’t come to that because Barbados is EXPENSIVE!
How much is tuition and cost of living there?

That's why I didn't apply this cycle. I know mentally I'm not strong enough right now to be that far away from my support system. At least with Meharry, we're still state side

Reactions: 3 users
This wait is honestly hell.. I need to know if I’m going to jump off a bridge (joking) or be meaningful . Lolol

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone brave enough to ask when they plan on sending out first wave of acceptances

Is anyone brave enough to ask when they plan on sending out first wave of acceptances
I think someone on the thread earlier said by April 30th... but idk for sure.. the wait is killing me as well. I just wish we all get it!

Reactions: 5 users
Also if any of y’all live in the DMV, there is a D.O. Medical school fair in D.C. this Thursday for anyone interested. I think you can still register.

How much is tuition and cost of living there?

This was at their seminar. A hamburger at a basic restaurant is like $24, so you know grocery stores are expensive because it’s all imported

Also if any of y’all live in the DMV, there is a D.O. Medical school fair in D.C. this Thursday for anyone interested. I think you can still register.
Ayeee DMV. I have work though but good look

Lol since we on the subject of cities/state.. anyone in here from Texas ?

Currently in Glendale AZ. From Baltimore. Guys, my guess is the earliest we will here is next week providing everyone was complete April 1st. My last recommendation letter was sent in on Friday so I turned green then. I am wrestling with my decision depending on what happens.

Currently in Glendale AZ. From Baltimore. Guys, my guess is the earliest we will here is next week providing everyone was complete April 1st. My last recommendation letter was sent in on Friday so I turned green then. I am wrestling with my decision depending on what happens.

Lol jk figured I'd lighten this stressful mood

I submitted on the 1st using the AMCAS method (filling in the admissions email in the email part), but my Submitted still yellow. Anyone else?

I submitted on the 1st using the AMCAS method (filling in the admissions email in the email part), but my Submitted still yellow. Anyone else?

Same. I just assumed they wouldn’t go through and manually add in every individual letter for every applicant who chose to do that. Might send them an email tomorrow just to be sure.

I did that for one of my recommendation letters but got nervous so I switched it to my recommender's email. I had both letters submitted on the 3rd. ( I just didn't want to take a chance on it)

Same. I just assumed they wouldn’t go through and manually add in every individual letter for every applicant who chose to do that. Might send them an email tomorrow just to be sure.
Let me know please!

It's a master's program so we should be able to get federal aid including the grad plus loan
I emailed financial aid about the graduate plus loan, technically from my understanding there is still a cap on how much we can borrow cause this isn’t a professional degree. According to another schools financial aid office we wouldn’t be able to be eligible for the plus loan and the cap is like $20,500. But that didn’t make sense to me. The financial aid office still hasn’t gotten back to me.

I emailed financial aid about the graduate plus loan, technically from my understanding there is still a cap on how much we can borrow cause this isn’t a professional degree. According to another schools financial aid office we wouldn’t be able to be eligible for the plus loan and the cap is like $20,500. But that didn’t make sense to me. The financial aid office still hasn’t gotten back to me.
It's a master's program so we definitely should qualify for the plus loan unless you have adverse credit history including 90 days past due on student loans and things of that nature. The cap is for Direct Federal loan. There's no cap on plus loan, it's up to the total cost.

Super anxious to hear back! I hope they get back to us soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.