Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Where would you draw the line(s)

View attachment 271297
I'd draw the line at not getting the suit fitted by a tailor. These guys all look like they are wearing their little brothers suit! I realize the skinny look is in, but none of these guys look comfortable. Secondly, coat sleeves 2 in above the wrist and slacks 2 in above the ankle appear ill fitting. But, fashion is fickle! Good Lord, this thread is endless.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't second look business casual? Like, polos and khakis or something?
Yeah, but I feel like a dressed down casual suit could work as well. Maybe I'm wrong though. Polo & khakis are always good for business casual.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, but I feel like a dressed down casual suit could work as well. Maybe I'm wrong though. Polo & khakis are always good for business casual.

I would leave that to the attending conducting the interview. My dad wears jeans and a polo with no white coat to work. You can do whatever you want when you have an MD behind your name.

But you are saying to shave when bearded is how I feel confident...?
Just so you know, I have no personal preference. Older docs seem to find the scruff that has been so fashionable disrespectful/lazy, though.

Medical people are more likely to be clean shaven for a number of reasons. Mask fit is only one.
That said, if you are going to feel uncomfortable in your own skin without the beard, by all means keep it.

Professional > Juicy
Got it.

But I like the shiny tie....brings out my lovely eyes lol

Cool, so....would it be tacky to buy a new tie for each school matching their school colors? Is that a thing...? Jos A Bank dude suggested it. I thought it was silly.

On that note, @gyngyn what other matte patterning would you recommend beyond pin dot? stripes? window pane type look? floral? anything? Pin dot didn't really catch my eye and bland is bland...

The guy is probably just trying to make more sales. Lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I think I know the answer to this question but...is a man bun ever acceptable at an interview? Or is there a way a male can wear their long hair (like four inches past the shoulders long) to still be professional? I know I'll probably have to cut it but I really don't want to...

Ok so I think I know the answer to this question but...is a man bun ever acceptable at an interview? Or is there a way a male can wear their long hair (like four inches past the shoulders long) to still be professional? I know I'll probably have to cut it but I really don't want to...
Unfortunately, no. Wait until you get into medical school and regrow it out again.

Just so you know, I have no personal preference. Older docs seem to find the scruff that has been so fashionable disrespectful/lazy, though.

Medical people are more likely to be clean shaven for a number of reasons. Mask fit is only one.
That said, if you are going to feel uncomfortable in your own skin without the beard, by all means keep it.

Just to be a voice from the other end. Gyngyn has a couple of years on me so take what I say for what you will.

I had a beard in college. I had a beard when I worked after college (though maybe not at my interviews for said gig but that was for other reasons). I had a beard at both my jobs after college. I had a beard for all my med school interviews. I had a beard for all my residency interviews.

I saw plenty of others on the trail both for med school and residency that had beards. I don't think it matters unless it looks like you're doing it for the fashunz.

Take that for what you will.

Also... Reading the last page or two of this thread is giving me palpitations. Where did all the youths go so astray.
Clutcheth mah perls chile.

Reactions: 2 users
Shoulders are good. Sleeves are hard to comment on. Pants look way too long.

Left tie good. right tie trash.

That tie does not belong at an interview.
YAh, tailoring on sleeves and pants is ongoing. Left tie it is!

Shoulders are good. Sleeves are hard to comment on. Pants look way too long.

Left tie good. right tie trash.

That tie does not belong at an interview.
Respectfully, I disagree. With the exception of a black or novelty tie the color does not matter. I have worn this tie to a formal job interview and received compliments. Anyway, I am not planning on wearing this tie to my interviews. I was just showing another user an example of pairing a charcoal suit with a purple tie.

Respectfully, I disagree. With the exception of a black or novelty tie the color does not matter. I have worn this tie to a formal job interview and received compliments. Anyway, I am not planning on wearing this tie to my interviews. I was just showing another user an example of pairing a charcoal suit with a purple tie.

Respectfully, you're wrong.
People get 'compliments' for garish clothes just because they're 'dressed up'. You either want to be tasteful or you don't care. If someone is in the process of buying ties, I'd much rather they go on ebay and spend 50 bucks and pick up 3 used brooks brothers ties that'll last them a long time. I still wear the suit I interviewed for med school in and the ties I wore with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Out of sheer curiosity, if someone went to an interview as their full-fledged genuine self, with competent scores, and a good life story, does not wearing a suit really put them in such a disadvantageous position?
Yes.
It would speak volumes regarding judgement.
It would imply that you don't understand social norms. Or worse, that they don't apply to you.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Respectfully, you're wrong.
People get 'compliments' for garish clothes just because they're 'dressed up'. You either want to be tasteful or you don't care. If someone is in the process of buying ties, I'd much rather they go on ebay and spend 50 bucks and pick up 3 used brooks brothers ties that'll last them a long time. I still wear the suit I interviewed for med school in and the ties I wore with it.
Will agree to disagree. Also, that is a Brooks Brothers tie.

Out of sheer curiosity, if someone went to an interview as their full-fledged genuine self, with competent scores, and a good life story, does not wearing a suit really put them in such a disadvantageous position?
In all truth, unless the airlines lost the interviewee's luggage, such a candidate would get rejected before they left the interview room. It's an interview at a medical school, for crying out loud!

Will agree to disagree. Also, that is a Brooks Brothers tie.

I know it's hard to believe.... but they make some ugly ties as well. They have entire novelty lines too. Would you consider wearing one of those to an interview?

What's the big deal about buying stuff once that is cohesive with the suit and doesn't draw much attention to itself. You should speak for yourself. Your clothes shouldn't be what people remember, though some will stick out because things look good and some will stick out because they look like they borrowed their grandfathers polyester suit from the 60's. Applying for med school is expensive enough, why not get things that will be more likely to stand the test of time.

Again, I'm still wearing the suits I bought a year or so before med school. I'm an intern now.

1. Can a grey/charcoal suit be too light?

2. Will a black tie make me look like a groom at a wedding? Would maroon/red be better?

3. tie clip or no tie clip?
1) Yes, flash us a picture to be sure.

2) I suggest dark subdued colors: maroon, navy, dark green. Black looks weird.

3) No tie clip.

1) Yes, flash us a picture to be sure.

2) I suggest dark subdued colors: maroon, navy, dark green. Black looks weird.

3) No tie clip.

1. Haven't bought it yet, but just going to go dark charcoal.

2. Thinking maroon or dark blue tie with a white shirt to keep it simple.

3. Hate my tie flapping, but I guess it shouldn't be a problem with the jacket

Cotton or wool? And why?

(First suit, and i live in fl)

What kind of shoes should I wear with a black suit? I have no guidance/no familiarity with this decision, so any type of help would be amazing. Thanks!

Thinking about a maroon tie with cream dots?

What kind of shoes should I wear with a black suit? I have no guidance/no familiarity with this decision, so any type of help would be amazing. Thanks!

Thinking about a maroon tie with cream dots?
Black oxfords.
The tie sounds fine.

Whats the consensus on shoes with a buckle? I tried the search function to no avail. Maybe something like this but in a tan or brown?

Oxfords, man. This is business professional.

Understood. Sorry, I just have zero business professional experience, and honestly if you google business professional you certainly get a wide variety of what is considered to fall within the definition!

Understood. Sorry, I just have zero business professional experience, and honestly if you google business professional you certainly get a wide variety of what is considered to fall within the definition!
Sometimes, Google is not your friend.

Hopefully this isn’t too silly of a question, not so much attire as opposed to just general appearance question....

White dude with an unusually dark tan or mildly sunburnt face? Is that weird? Been in the woods and on the lake a lot (and anticipating even more) and the sun has been my friend

Hopefully this isn’t too silly of a question, not so much attire as opposed to just general appearance question....

White dude with an unusually dark tan or mildly sunburnt face? Is that weird? Been in the woods and on the lake a lot (and anticipating even more) and the sun has been my friend

Also curious. I’m white, but I have skin this is highly adept to burning. I have a serious sunburn right now, and work in the sun 7 days/week. Haha

Cotton or wool? And why?

(First suit, and i live in fl)

Stick with wool. Wool can breathe and there are lighter fabrics. There are also unlined suits (pros and cons come with it) that bring down the temps even more. If you go with a lined suit, Bemberg will breathe better than polyester. It's best to try some different ones on and see how they feel.