Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nordstrom, no. Nordstrom rack, yes. I have to constantly remind my wife that we no longer have an income of $70k and the Rack will have to do for the next 10 years...
Had to do the same. "Remember, we left our >$70K income households to return to school for the next 9 years?"
 
I went to Nordstrom Rack today and couldn't find a single jacket that fits. Also, many of the jackets I looked at were mislabeled so having to inspect each individual jacket a big turn off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And Macy's was crazy expensive - 500 for a jacket. That's insane lol
Jos. A. Banks is having a $179 suit sale right now, I know they will be found only in larger cities or malls. Men’s Wearhouse another affordable site. Both will alter if needed.
 
Last edited:
Jos. A. Banks is having a $179 suit sale right now, I know they will be found only in larger cities or malls. Men’s Warehouse another affordable site. Both will alter if needed.
Thank you for the suggestions! I was under the impression that Men's Warehouse is just as expensive as Macy's; is that not true?
 
Bar III suit at Macy's (often goes on sale), fits well OTR for most individuals. Stick with navy blue and brown dress shoes, you can't go wrong.
 
Disclaimer:
I am not selling any one brand over another here. I just live in a sea of testosterone 😳 (3 adult sons and a husband who loves clothes). :laugh:

If you know your size and are not hard to fit, you can get away with buying online too. I think it is really helpful to go somewhere they are used to measuring men for suits and find out what size you are. You might be surprised. You might be one size for the jacket and a different size for the slacks.
This is a catalog that will let you buy jacket/slacks individually by your measurements for a perfect fit, and gives you tips about buying suits online.
We have bought slacks from this place for years but never a suit.
Paul Fredrick, Suits
 
I didn't set an official budget but I also didn't expect to see 500+ for just the jacket, lol. I suppose a price around 200 for both jacket and pants would be affordable (poor college student, ya know).
That’s too much for probably a poor fitting suit. Try Topman.com and tmlewin.com. They have great fitting suits for 200 or less. Opt for the slim or skinny fits for a tailored look. You just need to know your jacket & trouser size. A measuring tape will be helpful.
 
Last edited:
We spent $300+ at Brooks Brothers outlet (regular price was $500+) for our HS son when he went for BSMD interviews. He dressed very traditional (navy blue suit, black shoes) with winter coat and scarf and was complemented by one of the faculty interviewer at a school in NE. Hopefully I don't have spend again when he applies next year 🙂
 
I didn't set an official budget but I also didn't expect to see 500+ for just the jacket, lol. I suppose a price around 200 for both jacket and pants would be affordable (poor college student, ya know).
Understandable! My two recommendations would be J. Crew Factory Thompson or the Macy's Bar III. Both can be found on sale for the less than $200.00. Stick with either charcoal or navy. And make sure you get it tailored!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just bought a full get-up. Is this ok or did I do bad? It is more Navy than the picture does it justice
 

Attachments

  • A8C00753-EE87-47CC-873A-3DE80E561235.jpeg
    A8C00753-EE87-47CC-873A-3DE80E561235.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 213
So I just bought a full get-up. Is this ok or did I do bad? It is more Navy than the picture does it justice
I'm no expert that's for sure but it looks good to me. I would not have guessed that is navy blue. Looks black from the pic. How much did you drop?
 
I'm no expert that's for sure but it looks good to me. I would not have guessed that is navy blue. Looks black from the pic. How much did you drop?
It is def Navy blue. The picture is not the best. And Jos A Bank was having a 50% off thing so...$940.... 😵
 
I'm curious what the consensus is on the pinstripe too...
The suit lady was insisting on windowpane. I wanted a solid color. We found a balance - told me my eyes were pretty. It all worked out lol I will let you know about pinstripes based on my *hopefully many fingers crossed* interviews and their outcomes!
 
Jos A Banks is the move. Keep your eye open on their website as they do $99 suits once a month. I bought mine last year and got it tailored for less than $170 total including tax.
 
Jos A Banks is the move. Keep your eye open on their website as they do $99 suits once a month. I bought mine last year and got it tailored for less than $170 total including tax.
170 out the door?! That's more like it! All the Jos A Banks in my city have horrible ratings. Rude staff, apparently, I dunno.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The suit lady was insisting on windowpane. I wanted a solid color. We found a balance - told me my eyes were pretty. It all worked out lol I will let you know about pinstripes based on my *hopefully many fingers crossed* interviews and their outcomes!
So if I ever need a favor from you, even if you are reluctant, all I have to do is talk about your pretty eyes. Good to know lol
 
Jos A Banks is the move. Keep your eye open on their website as they do $99 suits once a month. I bought mine last year and got it tailored for less than $170 total including tax.
Is that only select suits? I went in without price in mind...just bought the one I liked...

But yah, they were fantastic. Great and knowledgeable reps that really helped me out. And if I would have told them my budget, i am almost certain they would have helped me stay within it.
I would think its too flashy from my impression of interview attire discussion at SDN but these nuances in appearance shouldn't play into applicant success...shouldn't lol
Yah, more conservative and less stand-out-ish is probably a far safer and more defacto route. But if a suit genuinely looks better than the rest you try on...
 
So if I ever need a favor from you, even if you are reluctant, all I have to do is talk about your pretty eyes. Good to know lol

My eyes, my cowlick, and my calves are my only body parts I know are fire and yes I will help you if you fuel my ego lol
 
Is that only select suits? I went in without price in mind...just bought the one I liked...

But yah, they were fantastic. Great and knowledgeable reps that really helped me out. And if I would have told them my budget, i am almost certain they would have helped me stay within it.
Yah, more conservative and less stand-out-ish is probably a far safer and more defacto route. But if a suit genuinely looks better than the rest you try on...
Its a sharp looking suit, tbh, and I think it'll look great but it'll be your app and performance at interviews that will determine your success. You're going to do well.
 
Full body red is exactly what i was planning 🙄
Lol Those just popped out when I googled “Zara suits”

But overall, they should be fine if they look professional. Someone on a different thread said they can tell and very much disapprove of when someone has a cheaper cotton suit as opposed to wool...but I feel like that reflects the more pretentious side of ADCOMs than the vast majority.
 
Yeah 170 out the door for select styles. I bought 3 suits online ($99 each) and tried them on at home. Picked the one I liked and altered it and returned the rest. You can return within 90 days as long as no alterations were made.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The jacket appears to have ...stripes.
Delete the pin.
The lavender tie reads a bit more "fashion" than business, but it's not a deal-breaker.
The shirt is good!
Planning on getting rid of the pin, TBH lol Is that a no or a meh to the pinstripes? They are def not full on stripes, just mild pinstripe. Glad the shirt is good and the tie isn’t a deal breaker. I didn’t like very many of the solid colored ties or anything...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Planning on getting rid of the pin, TBH lol Is that a no or a meh to the pinstripes? They are def not full on stripes, just mild pinstripe. Glad the shirt is good and the tie isn’t a deal breaker. I didn’t like very many of the solid colored ties or anything...
There is no need for a solid tie, there's a pin dot.
If you are only going to have one suit, I recommend a gabardine, instead.
If you have already had this tailored, keep it.
 
There is no need for a solid tie, there's a pin dot.
If you are only going to have one suit, I recommend a gabardine, instead.
If you have already had this tailored, keep it.
It is currently in the process of being tailored.

The gabardine type stuff felt fairly...bland. I know the intend is to blend in and not be flashy, but this felt like it was “Standing out by blending in just enough but not too much.” Likely not a deal breaker?