Mental illness in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is going to be a long post.
Background: I have anxiety/depression. I have battled it since junior year of high school. I never got help for it and I suffered through college. However, it didn't impact my grades and I applied to dental schools. I have received interviews and expect to be accepted unless I completely bomb the interviews. I took a gap year to get help for my mental illness after college. I saw a therapist for 9 months which helped a lot. However, I have been going through trials of medications in order to treat my anxiety. Unfortunately, after trying 5 medications and a year and a half later I still haven't found the right medication for me yet.
Now the start of dental school is approaching in July. I am scared because I thought this gap year would sort out my illness but I am still going through the trials of finding the correct medication for me. It sucks because to feel the full effects of medication and to know if its the right medication takes anywhere between 3-8 weeks.

My question: Has anyone had any experience with battling mental illness in this field and is anyone in the same situation?
My main fear is that I can't keep going through the medication trials while in dental school because every time I ween of medication and go on another medication, I feel a bunch of side effects that render me useless, I will be nauseous, sweaty, shaky, and can't concentrate at all. I only have about 8 months to find the right medication for me and judging by the last year, it's possible I won't find the right medication for me by then. I want to be a dentist so bad, and I would never let this opportunity slip out of my hands. I worked so hard to receive these interviews and while my parents are ecstatic, I can't even enjoy the results of my hard work and instead only worry about how my mental illness will impact me during dental school.
Dropping out or quitting isn't an option for me, I will fight my way through dental school even if the worst situation happens but if someone is going through the same thing please share it with me so I don't feel like I'm the only one. And please don't just say get help, I have been getting help for the past year and a half, unfortunately finding the correct medication is a trial and error process that takes a long time.

Members don't see this ad.

Just let the process play itself out for now. If you get accepted, you can try to explain your situation to the school that you're planning to attend, and worst case, ask for a deferment. I'm sure they are willing to work and give you some accommodation with your medical condition. If you can't handle stress to well, it might be better to attend a school that is P/F. People tend to be less competitive in those environment because the school doesn't release the ranking.

Reactions: 1 user
Just let the process play itself out for now. If you get accepted, you can try to explain your situation to the school that you're planning to attend, and worst case, ask for a deferment. I'm sure they are willing to work and give you some accommodation with your medical condition. If you can't handle stress to well, it might be better to attend a school that is P/F. People tend to be less competitive in those environment because the school doesn't release the ranking.
Thank you for reading my post and your suggestion. I have interviewed at some P/F schools and liked them very well. I will keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in dental school, two of my friends went through struggles with mental illness. One of them told administration right away and the other did not. Their experiences were vastly different. The one who told administration right away received extra help from the beginning - extra time to complete assignments, extra one-on-one help after hours, more leniency on attendance policy for class, etc. The other who waited to tell actually ended up failing a class because by that point in the semester, it was too late to fix their grades. We were always encouraged by our administration and faculty to reach out to anyone if they start feel any signs of mental illness. We also had clinical psychologists come to speak to us about signs and symptoms of depression, burn out, etc. YMMV depending on the school but I can definitely say that I am really proud of my school about how much of a priority they made our mental well being despite not being a P/F school.
Thank you for your reply. Will it look very bad tho that I didn't tell them about it before being accepted?

Thank you for your reply. Will it look very bad tho that I didn't tell them about it before being accepted?
None of their business during the application cycle. Moreover, it would be ILLEGAL for them to ask you anything about mental health.

Reactions: 1 users
None of their business during the application cycle. Moreover, it would be ILLEGAL for them to ask you anything about mental health.

Genuine ask...I thought it was illegal for them to reject you for the mental illness, not straight up asking you if you do have one?

In what universe would this come up in an interview? It would not, unless you talked about it in an essay or something. Which you should absolutely not do.

In what universe would this come up in an interview? It would not, unless you talked about it in an essay or something. Which you should absolutely not do.
I had interviews where the asked how I deal with stress. I always thought that question was more so asking about mental health

I had interviews where the asked how I deal with stress. I always thought that question was more so asking about mental health
don't try to read anything into any questions...

I think you are correct. They are hinting at mental health in the question. Or they are feeling out how you might handle adversity or how good you will be at "adulting." Interviews are a game. Don't disclose anything negative about yourself that you are otherwise not legally obligated to disclose. If you are going to disclose something regarding mental health (or are seeking accommodations), then you do it AFTER you are accepted, have paid tuition, and classes are in session. I have second hand experience with this. Again, it is illegal for them to ask about your marital status, mental health etc. Google "illegal interview questions."

Don't give them am opportunity to not accept you. Say you like running, exercising, cooking, traveling, fishing, knitting, whatever, and move on with the interview.

I'm sorry but this is going to be a long post.
Background: I have anxiety/depression. I have battled it since junior year of high school. I never got help for it and I suffered through college. However, it didn't impact my grades and I applied to dental schools. I have received interviews and expect to be accepted unless I completely bomb the interviews. I took a gap year to get help for my mental illness after college. I saw a therapist for 9 months which helped a lot. However, I have been going through trials of medications in order to treat my anxiety. Unfortunately, after trying 5 medications and a year and a half later I still haven't found the right medication for me yet.
Now the start of dental school is approaching in July. I am scared because I thought this gap year would sort out my illness but I am still going through the trials of finding the correct medication for me. It sucks because to feel the full effects of medication and to know if its the right medication takes anywhere between 3-8 weeks.

My question: Has anyone had any experience with battling mental illness in this field and is anyone in the same situation?
My main fear is that I can't keep going through the medication trials while in dental school because every time I ween of medication and go on another medication, I feel a bunch of side effects that render me useless, I will be nauseous, sweaty, shaky, and can't concentrate at all. I only have about 8 months to find the right medication for me and judging by the last year, it's possible I won't find the right medication for me by then. I want to be a dentist so bad, and I would never let this opportunity slip out of my hands. I worked so hard to receive these interviews and while my parents are ecstatic, I can't even enjoy the results of my hard work and instead only worry about how my mental illness will impact me during dental school.
Dropping out or quitting isn't an option for me, I will fight my way through dental school even if the worst situation happens but if someone is going through the same thing please share it with me so I don't feel like I'm the only one. And please don't just say get help, I have been getting help for the past year and a half, unfortunately finding the correct medication is a trial and error process that takes a long time.

Schools have become much more tolerant and aware of mental health issues in post-grad/ doctoral programs. Let them know at tube beginning of the school year and they should be able to accommodate, the same way they do for people with other chronic illnesses.

You could casually ask about what mental frailty services are provided when you interview. But I would elaborate on your exact situation at the interview.

Schools have become much more tolerant and aware of mental health issues in post-grad/ doctoral programs. Let them know at tube beginning of the school year and they should be able to accommodate, the same way they do for people with other chronic illnesses.

You could casually ask about what mental frailty services are provided when you interview. But I would elaborate on your exact situation at the interview.
I would never reveal my mental health battles in an interview willingly. I have interviewed at multiple places but never mentioned it. I might mention it after I am accepted and have started classes in july. I have honestly worked way too hard to sabotage my self at the last minute. But most of the schools ive interviewed at dont even have any counseling services available for students, I just dont believe the statement that they are more tolerant of mental health issues.

I would never reveal my mental health battles in an interview willingly. I have interviewed at multiple places but never mentioned it. I might mention it after I am accepted and have started classes in july. I have honestly worked way too hard to sabotage my self at the last minute. But most of the schools ive interviewed at dont even have any counseling services available for students, I just dont believe the statement that they are more tolerant of mental health issues.

That's definitely a smart way of approaching interviews. Even though they aren't allowed to discriminate against you, always assume that they WILL discriminate against you. Even when you're in, you are still at their mercy until you get your degree. If it truly interferes with your ability to practice and succeed in dental school, you can definitely play that card in dental school (not when you're trying to get in. However, you should get a feel for how they treat mental illness in your school before laying down your cards. I know in my school, they are very accomodating, but I'd be weary if it ever became public knowledge that I had some sort of psych disorder.

You should use the mental health issue to your advantage if the administration is known to help others out. If they are known to pressure or find reasons to get rid of you, they you may need third party help/assistance. Usually, an administration wants to get rid of people before 3rd year to make room for more profitable and cash paying international dentists. Think of it like a strategic battle where you have no friends./allies going in.

Reactions: 2 users
That's definitely a smart way of approaching interviews. Even though they aren't allowed to discriminate against you, always assume that they WILL discriminate against you. Even when you're in, you are still at their mercy until you get your degree. If it truly interferes with your ability to practice and succeed in dental school, you can definitely play that card in dental school (not when you're trying to get in. However, you should get a feel for how they treat mental illness in your school before laying down your cards. I know in my school, they are very accomodating, but I'd be weary if it ever became public knowledge that I had some sort of psych disorder.

You should use the mental health issue to your advantage if the administration is known to help others out. If they are known to pressure or find reasons to get rid of you, they you may need third party help/assistance. Usually, an administration wants to get rid of people before 3rd year to make room for more profitable and cash paying international dentists. Think of it like a strategic battle where you have no friends./allies going in.
Thank you very much i really appreciate it

this 100%. esp if it becomes too overbearing for admin.
I've heard it happen before, so heads up and be prepared before going in!
you can do it. there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you very much i really appreciate it

I forgot to mention, there is an even bigger professional stigma for those that utilize special testing accomodations/advantages via disability/mental health issues as dental school can be seen as one big hazing process. As much as we say there shouldn't, there's no thought police for how your peers/colleagues think of you. There are some people who legitimately needed it in our class and there are some who abused it. Unfortunately, both are lumped in as "not being strong enough" to undergo the hazing process known as dental school, resulting in being looked down upon as a future professional.

This is an unspoken word among your class, and the harsher the school is on their students, the more bitterness may come from your peers if you choose to take advantage of your documented disability.

Reactions: 2 users