MGH IHP Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePT24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd get this started since they sent out admission decisions today. Who else is putting down their deposit? This school is my top choice and I am super excited to see everyone in June!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured I'd get this started since they sent out admission decisions today. Who else is putting down their deposit? This school is my top choice and I am super excited to see everyone in June!

MGH is def one of my top choices but I'm still waiting to hear from two other schools (whose interviews were prior to MGH). o_O

I'm still deciding, but most likely going to MGH! I was drooling over the new curriculum during the entire presentation, hahahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to MGH also and am intrigued by their new curriculum. Out of curiosity, is anyone else bothered by the fact that they are no longer including cadaver dissection in their program? Most PT's I've spoken to have said it was a valuable learning tool and can't imagine not having done it. It's the one hang-up I have about their program...

Out of curiosity, is anyone else bothered by the fact that they are no longer including cadaver dissection in their program?

Frankly, that aspect has me quite excited. While I immensely enjoyed the dissections I have done so far I was not looking forward to it during PT school. It seems unnecessarily tedious and I think I would much rather work with prosected cadavers and focus my energy on learning other things.

Last edited:
can't imagine not having done it.
Doesn't mean it's the best or only way of doing things.

I haven't done any dissections (my anatomy sequence is all virtual), but I'm having trouble arguing that a dissection skill would be useful in a PT job. Palpation yes, dissection.....not so much?

Frankly, that aspect has me quite excited. While I immensely enjoyed the dissections I have done so far I was not looking forward to it during PT school. It seems unnecessarily tedious and I think I would much rather work with prosected cadavers and focus my energy on learning other things.

I would rather prosected over taking the time to do the dissection as well, but my understanding was that neither were a part of MGH's new curriculum and that "virtual options" would be substituted. Did I mishear, will students be working with prosected cadavers?

Doesn't mean it's the best or only way of doing things.

I haven't done any dissections (my anatomy sequence is all virtual), but I'm having trouble arguing that a dissection skill would be useful in a PT job. Palpation yes, dissection.....not so much?

Certainly not saying it is the "best or only" way to do things, just that having had the opportunity to observe in a cadaver lab before I did personally find it very beneficial to be able to touch/see the anatomy vs. just palpating. Just my personal experience and was wondering what others thought about it not being a part of the curriculum.

I sent them a quick email asking about this. My current anatomy has a virtual dissection module, and it's unbelievably sucky.

Did I mishear, will students be working with prosected cadavers?

I thought I heard we'd work with prosected cadavers and have the opportunity for an elective in which we would dissect cadavers for other classes.

I sent them a quick email asking about this. My current anatomy has a virtual dissection module, and it's unbelievably sucky.

I sent an e-mail after the interview and the response I got basically said it's one of the points of the new curriculum that they are still working on, but they have "virtual resources" available. I'm not exactly sold on "virtual resources". I'd love to hear if you get a similar response or if they offer any more detail.

Accepted and put down deposit :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I'm curious about that too. I also remember them mentioning prosected cadavers.
In my interview when we were asked about our opinions about the new curriculum, I voiced my concern over if not having dissections would impact us negatively in some way. My interviewer said that the research shows that it isn't necessary to learn anatomy for pt by doing the dissection, and that it mostly just takes up a lot of time due to hesitation about what and where to cut and worrying about making mistakes and obscuring what we were looking for. I inferred that we'd instead have the prosected specimens again, but didn't think to ask about it at the time unfortunately.

Hmm I'm curious about that too. I also remember them mentioning prosected cadavers.
In my interview when we were asked about our opinions about the new curriculum, I voiced my concern over if not having dissections would impact us negatively in some way. My interviewer said that the research shows that it isn't necessary to learn anatomy for pt by doing the dissection, and that it mostly just takes up a lot of time due to hesitation about what and where to cut and worrying about making mistakes and obscuring what we were looking for. I inferred that we'd instead have the prosected specimens again, but didn't think to ask about it at the time unfortunately.

This is the reply I got when I e-mailed the professor I interviewed with to follow up - it bothers me that I didn't really get a clear answer regarding any cadaver exposure because every PT I have spoken to has stressed that they felt it was a valuable experience (not necessarily dissecting, but even just viewing prosected cadavers):

"At this point, those details regarding cadaver exposure are being worked out. We do have other technology here for “virtual dissections” that will be available."

This is the reply I got when I e-mailed the professor I interviewed with to follow up - it bothers me that I didn't really get a clear answer regarding any cadaver exposure because every PT I have spoken to has stressed that they felt it was a valuable experience (not necessarily dissecting, but even just viewing prosected cadavers):

"At this point, those details regarding cadaver exposure are being worked out. We do have other technology here for “virtual dissections” that will be available."
Yeah all PTs I talked to stressed the same thing. :/

I don't understand why they won't have us use prosected cadavers like it says they used to at harvard medical school. I had prosected cadaver lab in undergrad, I don't mind not doing the actually dissection, but just virtual is a huge turn off!

According to the curriculum, A&P stuff doesn't even start until freshman spring - maybe they are still finalizing the logistics of cadaver access between other healthcare programs (like OT and PA)? If "the details are still being worked out", it doesn't strike me as "NO WE THREW OUT ALL OF OUR CADAVERS IN THE TRASH THERE WILL BE NO CADAVERS SUCK IT" ;)

I'm sure a respectable program like MGH isn't just going to eliminate cadaver work completely. Someone asked a question at my info session (2/6) about cadaver exposure; I cannot for the life of me remember what the answer was, but it was something along the lines that we will still have cadaver access, just not in context of gross anatomy. There isn't even any gross anatomy in the curriculum, it's all regional and cross-disciplinary. Figuring out how much cadaver access to designate when there's no designated course seems difficult :confused:

The virtual resources bit isn't a lie - there ARE virtual dissection resources available. That doesn't have to mean there's going to be zero cadavers. Anyway, I have faith!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I'm still waiting for the email from them but I did check my folder and have some notes written down.

From my notes: "cadavers are used later in the program"

"Actual cadaver dissection is an elective"

Hey! I'm still waiting for the email from them but I did check my folder and have some notes written down.

From my notes: "cadavers are used later in the program"

"Actual cadaver dissection is an elective"

That I'd be ok with. I have something very similar written down which is why I had tried to confirm via e-mail after the interview, just to make sure I understood right. I'm learning towards it not really being a deal breaker though because I really like the sound of the rest of their new curriculum : )

This is more of a way down the road kind of thing, but I forget if they mentioned when MGH students generally take their boards? With graduation in January (I think it said), I was just curious when most students take their boards... shortly after that?

This is more of a way down the road kind of thing, but I forget if they mentioned when MGH students generally take their boards? With graduation in January (I think it said), I was just curious when most students take their boards... shortly after that?
I'm pretty sure they said students take the NPTE approximately 4 months into the year long internship.

Marianne responded to me re: cadavers!

"In regards to anatomy, when we developed the new curriculum, we made the decision to integrate anatomy where it makes the most sense, that is, relate the anatomy to the body system you are learning about. In a way, you will be learning you anatomy across the curriculum, as needed. There will not be a stand-alone anatomy course as you may find elsewhere. That being said, when you are in the musculoskeletal intensive semester (Spring year 1) we will be using prosected cadavers for instruction. These experiences will be supplemented by selected digital anatomical resources. Other animal (think calf heart) or human (brains and spinal cords) anatomical resources for brain and cardiopulmonary anatomy will be available for other courses and integrated in a way that makes the most sense for your learning.

It has been our experience that teaching anatomy out of context is not the best way to learn, retain and apply the material. Our new approach will utilize human specimen learning experiences in the context of clinical content to the maximum learning benefit.

In addition to the anatomy I just described, there will be the option, in your third summer, to take an elective dissection course.

I hope that answers your question. If not I would be happy to elaborate further"

Reactions: 1 users

"In regards to anatomy, when we developed the new curriculum, we made the decision to integrate anatomy where it makes the most sense, that is, relate the anatomy to the body system you are learning about. In a way, you will be learning you anatomy across the curriculum, as needed. There will not be a stand-alone anatomy course as you may find elsewhere. That being said, when you are in the musculoskeletal intensive semester (Spring year 1) we will be using prosected cadavers for instruction. These experiences will be supplemented by selected digital anatomical resources. Other animal (think calf heart) or human (brains and spinal cords) anatomical resources for brain and cardiopulmonary anatomy will be available for other courses and integrated in a way that makes the most sense for your learning.

It has been our experience that teaching anatomy out of context is not the best way to learn, retain and apply the material. Our new approach will utilize human specimen learning experiences in the context of clinical content to the maximum learning benefit.

In addition to the anatomy I just described, there will be the option, in your third summer, to take an elective dissection course.

I hope that answers your question. If not I would be happy to elaborate further"

I got the same email lol! I was just about to post it

Very helpful, thank you for sharing! I'm glad to see there will be some work with prosected cadavers! Thank you!

Bit the bullet and put in my deposit!!

Yay classmates! I can't wait until more details start rolling in, like orientation, maybe FB group and stuff :D

Has anyone received any communication from them since putting down the deposit other than the payment confirmation e-mail? Just wondering when we'll hear from them, I feel like there's a lot we need to start planning for pretty quickly!

So I have personally dissected all 4 extremities including hands and feet as well as thorax and abdominopelvic regions, however I have not worked on the neck or face. In my opinion, I feel prosections will be much more effective for me personally (I am attending UPS and I believe they only use prosections). Yes dissection is somewhat fun, and you get to say you've performed a full dissection, however, it can be very tedious and I believe only offers a small amount of benefit. Yes cadaver anatomy is incredibly important in my opinion because of individual variation and the majority of structures are not like a textbook (neurovascular structures primarily), but the dissection part is just tedious. In fact, a big part of the course's time will be spent actually dissecting, but with prosections you will be able to spend that time actually studying the anatomy you will need to learn, instead of spending time gaining access to the structure. I understand it is a good experience (I suppose I am happy that I got to do it once) but I dont believe it will hinder your learning, and may even be beneficial.

Anyways it is first thing in the morning so I apologize if this doesn't make all that much sense.

I'm assuming we'll hear back after the 4th, since that's the deposit deadline. Then they have to get people off the waitlist probably also.

Anyone else moving from coast to coast in about 2 months? Gahhhh...

Hey guys, I finally decided to join the forum. Congrats to all who got admitted. I was reading my acceptance letter and I noticed that we apparently have to send to Admission documentations of our bachelor's degree, pre-requisite completion and GRE score. Anyone else think this is redundant? They should already have those documents through PTCAS. I don't see the point of resending them over!

Hey guys, I finally decided to join the forum. Congrats to all who got admitted. I was reading my acceptance letter and I noticed that we apparently have to send to Admission documentations of our bachelor's degree, pre-requisite completion and GRE score. Anyone else think this is redundant? They should already have those documents through PTCAS. I don't see the point of resending them over!
Where did you see that?

Just got another welcome email - WTF is with these health insurance premiums, totally unreasonable.

Where did you see that?
It was in my acceptance letter under "Condition for Admission", but never mind. I called and they explained this only apply to students who didn't use PTCAS and to those who were still taking classes after they had submitted their application.

Health Insurance is almost 2G. I remember my college insurance used to be around 700. Since we gonna pay that much to be insured I sure hope their affiliated health clubs and MBTA pass are free.

MBTA pass is not free, 11% discounted and does NOT cover summer.
http://www.mghihp.edu/current-students/student-life/MBTA/

I'm probably going to waive their health plan and get insurance from the Marketplace. My undergrad insurance was 1K/semester, but my boyfriend says he had to pay 5.5K/year in law school, so apparently these rates aren't unheard of.

Hi everyone!!!

I also have put down my deposit and will be attending MGH IHP. I want to create a Facebook group for our class so that it would be easier to communicate and to find roommates in a more private setting...

Oh okay cool. Im hoping they create one soon because I plan on moving mid May. Wanted to start looking for a roommate... Has anyone else started to look at apartments in the Boston area?

I actually looked on FB for one, and it looks like the staff (https://www.facebook.com/pt.mgh.ihp ) creates a Facebook group every year!
So we should or shouldn't create a group ourselves? My friend at BU says start looking for housing asap because everyone at every school will be looking too.... But I really want to live with a classmate or at least an IHP student.

I'm thinking of subletting this summer and then hopefully some classmates will be looking for a lease starting 9/1... That way, I'd have a chance to actually see the room I would be leasing as opposed to trusting online pics :)

Went ahead and completed the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note! I cringed at the thought of repaying the mortgage-like cost of tuition. A well-worth sacrifice though !!!;)

Went ahead and completed the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note! I cringed at the thought of repaying the mortgage-like cost of tuition. A well-worth sacrifice though !!!;)

I haven't received any of that stuff yet...

Hey guys, check out the Facebook group "Boston housing, Rooms, Apartments, Sublets"

Just got another welcome email - WTF is with these health insurance premiums, totally unreasonable.

I only received the 1 welcome e-mail on March 9th, have you received another one? That one says we should receive addition information around March 21st, but I haven't seen anything.

I only received the 1 welcome e-mail on March 9th, have you received another one? That one says we should receive addition information around March 21st, but I haven't seen anything.
I got one on Feb 24 congratulating me on the acceptance, then one on March 9 about "additional information". Haven't gotten anything since.