Michigan Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS/MD 2007

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an interview at The University of Michigan dental school soon. If anyone could share any details/advice about the interview day, I would appreciate it. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I interviewed at UMich on 1/26 so I know the routine pretty well. First of all, you will probably be with a large group of 20 or so people since they only do interviews maybe once a week. It is pretty kick back and more informational than anything. It's a state school so don't expect them to cater to you like a private school may. If you get a chance to see campus, it's really awesome. Ann Arbor is cool too (it has one of the largest Starbucks I have ever seen). There will be several speakers to talk about the curriculum, community service, research, etc.. Then you will go on a tour of the school with some current students. Ask lots of questions. That's where I learned the most. The Dental building is exceptional except for the outdated pre-clinic lab. It's rather outdated. They really need an upgrade to the sim clinic style. After the school tour, you will come back for lunch/interview. While you are eating, your interviewer will approach you, (my interviewer waited until he had lunch and so had I or you may get someone who will try to catch you off guard for the interview). They will take you aside to talk with you. Not stressful at all. Be ready to back up your reasons for selecting UMich, that helped me. Standard interview conversation, but no hard core questions. Casual. No reason to be nervous. After that, they will talk with you about financial aid and some other stuff, but that is pretty much it. One thing I highly recommend doing is staying after to "observe" in the clinic after the day is over. I did that and I would say that helped. I hung out with a 4th year in both the general and ortho clinics for about 2 hours (I had time to kill). I made sure to thank Dr. Woolfolk for the generous invitation and the clinical faculty around when I was observing the 4th year student.

I suggest that you ask about possible renevations to the pre-clinic lab and how difficult it is to get patients (the only drawbacks I can see). I have talked with UMich grads here in CA that have said that it was difficult to get patients and that they felt that they needed to do a residency or something after school to get up to speed and get experience. I was told that the 4th years are only in the clinic 3 days/wk and the 3rd years are in the clinic 2 days/wk. May not be an issue to you, but I would like a little more clinical orientation. Check it out.

I think all this would help you. They extended an offer to me only a few days after the interview.

Good luck. Get in touch if you have any more questions.