Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who are still waiting to hear anything like me, I just called the admissions office and apparently they are making final decisions this Wednesday, and all the decisions should be sent out next Monday at the latest.
Just want to add, that I was told latest we might hear is March 23rd. Keep in contact with the office, those who haven't received notification yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No not anymore than anyone else, unfortunately. I was just told to re-contact the admissions office if I had not heard back by 3/23. This is what I would personally do, if I had not already received an answer to when I might hear about an acceptance/rejection.
 
More collaboring information. I called today, they said over the next two weeks they will be getting out final answers. They also reassured me they are still giving out acceptances.
 
I'm glad they still have acceptances to send. Hopefully we'll all get one! I just wish they'd stop changing the timeframe.
I feel like the problem is not them changing the time frame, just the date they say it on! Haha I feel like it's been "2 weeks" since the start of March..
They told me they "hope to have them completed within two weeks" a week ago. Let's just hope it's on the earlier side! I don't think my computer can take much more refreshing.
 
I called yesterday and they told me everyone would hear by March 15th, it sounds like they don't actually know since they are telling everyone different time frames 🙁
 
I'm now of the mind that they don't actually know themselves. After the interviews at the exit meeting thing the lady told us we could call at the end of February/beginning of March to find out our status and they would give us an idea of where we stand. If everyone's getting a different answer, then how are any of us supposed to know what's actually going on lol. Oh well..I hope we all get in!
 
For those who are still waiting to hear anything like me, I just called the admissions office and apparently they are making final decisions this Wednesday, and all the decisions should be sent out next Monday at the latest.


Will there reply be by email.....I can't wait for snail mail again the anticipation is killing me. I HAVE TO KNOW
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called the office, and there was no answer (lunch time!). However, the machine said "Current applicants: All decisions will be sent out by March 1st."

:smack:

I'll call again in an hour and see what they tell me.
You're doing the lord's work. <3 😛
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
Hmm...still no answer. Maybe they're busy making decisions!
They're probably getting a huge amount of calls and have chosen to no longer answer the phone til they have concrete info they can give out.
 
This is wait causing me so much anxiety!! This is my last school to hear from..... only got wait listed at one school and the rest are no 🙁 it's like my whole life is basically pending on them!!!! Agggggg
 
This is wait causing me so much anxiety!! This is my last school to hear from..... only got wait listed at one school and the rest are no 🙁 it's like my whole life is basically pending on them!!!! Agggggg
Yup same here. Three waitlists and MSU is the last one I haven't heard from. My life feels like it's on pause. I'm in a good spot at one of the waitlists and I still have some hope for MSU, but I already started applying for jobs and some graduate programs in case I have to reapply. We'll hear soon so just try to relax and keep busy by working on your plan B stuff (it feels horrible at first because it's like admitting defeat but it's actually very calming after a while).
 
I feel like a butt for complaining about where I'm at, but I'm concerned about finding a decent apartment at Illinois. Even if I get into MSU, East Lansing's leasing season starts in October. The best choices are already gone. Living situation is always one of the biggest stressors for me.
 
Yup same here. Three waitlists and MSU is the last one I haven't heard from. My life feels like it's on pause. I'm in a good spot at one of the waitlists and I still have some hope for MSU, but I already started applying for jobs and some graduate programs in case I have to reapply. We'll hear soon so just try to relax and keep busy by working on your plan B stuff (it feels horrible at first because it's like admitting defeat but it's actually very calming after a while).

I'm in the same boat. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share what grad programs you're looking at? The fact that graduation is less then two months away is kinda causing mild panic attacks.
 
I'm in the same boat. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share what grad programs you're looking at? The fact that graduation is less then two months away is kinda causing mild panic attacks.
Are you looking at Master's programs? What in?
I'm looking into some in Microbiology, Ecology, and Biomechanics at different schools. I've also been accepted into a research program to analyze the impact of current invasive wildlife here in Florida and it should get me published so I'm considering just doing that and getting a teaching job while I reapply. If I have to reapply, a masters won't really help since the VMCAS application will be due before the fall semester is even halfway done. The research experience + getting published might be a better choice for me.

I'm weighing my options while I wait for MSU to make final decisions. I have all my applications done and if I don't hear from them by next week or if I get bad news from them, all I gotta do is hit the submit buttons.

If you live in the south and are about to graduate with a science degree, you should also check out the southernteachers.com. It's a free agency that will place you with a private school and you they're currently looking for science teachers. It will most likely require you to move to another state, but you'll have a decent stable income while you reapply and since you'll be working in another state, you can gain IS residency if that state has a vet school. They only require a bachelors degree in a science field and a 3.0+ gpa (the requirements are higher on their website but they lower it for science majors according to the email they sent my school). I also have this application filled out and waiting until next week to hit the submit button.
 
Last edited:
If it's not too much a strain on your budget, just go ahead and submit your applications. Of course, MSU or your wait listed school is top choice, no doubt, but if it doesn't pan out this semester your application is already being considered for one of your graduate programs. You listed the research program as separate- is this a post-baccalaureate program?
 
If it's not too much a strain on your budget, just go ahead and submit your applications. Of course, MSU or your wait listed school is top choice, no doubt, but if it doesn't pan out this semester your application is already being considered for one of your graduate programs. You listed the research program as separate- is this a post-baccalaureate program?
Not necessarily. It's a summer internship that's intended for science majors/graduates interested in ecology/wildlife research. It's through the University of Florida, so I'm sure you can get some actual research credit or something but I just applied out of general interest. It runs from July to August so as long as it finishes before vet school starts, I'll be going whether I get in/called of the list or not. Oh and did I mention it's a paid internship? Those are ridiculously rare down here.

Oh and yes it's a big strain on my very small budget right now. I graduated in December and have been trying to find a biology-related job in south Florida, which is stupid hard. And my savings account is still sore from the beating 4 interviews in the Midwest caused. 😛 The main reason I'm waiting is so I don't have to spend the money unless it's really necessary.
 
I'm in the same boat. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share what grad programs you're looking at? The fact that graduation is less then two months away is kinda causing mild panic attacks.

If you're worried, you should start looking now for fall entry. That will also give you time to notify your professors to send in recommendation letters (they've got to be tweaked for grad school, versus vet school). I'm assuming that you will be re-applying to vet school if you don't get in this semester (hopefully you do!). Remember that most master's programs are 1.5-3 year deals, so you've got to take that into consideration when you're looking for your programs. I don't know what your medical interests would be in vet school, but you may want to look at a master's that supplements that interest or will be useful to your veterinary education (e.g., nutrition).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright ladies and gents. I called just now and was told they hope to start sending decisions out next Monday. 🙂
 
I'm on the alternate list. If anyone doesn't want their spot, I'll be forever grateful to you if I can fill it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding grad programs, Tufts Vet School has 3 one-year master's programs. I have been accepted to their one in Infectious Disease and Global Health. Perfect to reapply for next year. I have been rejected by 5, waitlisted by 1, and still waiting on 2. I started on my plan B right after submitting VMCAS, in case this happened.
 
I just got the acceptance email (OOS), but will be turning it down for Davis. Good luck to those on the alternate list!