Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you on the waitlist, I will be declining my OOS for my in-state Texas A&M. I truly LOVED the program and school but the tuition is 30,000 more than my IS. One of the first year vet students from here called me today and I thought that was very sweet! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

P.S. I know of two other people who will be declining their spots for A&M as well so that opens up two spots! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
For those of you on the waitlist, I will be declining my OOS for my in-state Texas A&M. I truly LOVED the program and school but the tuition is 30,000 more than my IS. One of the first year vet students from here called me today and I thought that was very sweet! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

P.S. I know of two other people who will be declining their spots for A&M as well so that opens up two spots! :)
Congrats! And thanks for moving me up a couple spots (;

how are you declining your seat? Just emailing the admissions email?

Members don't see this ad :)
how are you declining your seat? Just emailing the admissions email?

The first year that called me said I could call or email admissions and let them know which I will probably do sometime next week after I turn in my paperwork for my IS.

Yeah I turned in my deposit for Penn, but I think I'll wait until they confirm that they are accepting all of my pre-requisites and everything is in order before I decline my other accepted spots.

Everyone - There was some light conversation on faculty/staff turnover, does anyone have more info on that? Cause?

THX!

Reactions: 1 user
to any past waitlisted students: what have you heard and/or experienced in terms of the waitlist? Does it move fairly quickly?

Four faculty members have recently chosen to pursue opportunities out of state and a couple even out of academia, but the CVM is already in the process of interviewing great candidates to replace them.

Just declined my seat to attend my IS school :) Best of luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
@Teepster87 so guess who's spending the summer at MSU for the Merial Summer Research Program....swing by and release your hate for me by giving me a hug

Reactions: 4 users
Just declined my OOS seat. Good luck to all still on the wait list!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey current students, does Michigan offer elective courses? I can't find any information on their website about what courses they offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey current students, does Michigan offer elective courses? I can't find any information on their website about what courses they offer.
Currently they offer selective courses in the 4th and 5th semester. They're like 1 unit a piece, and you take 2 total.
Not sure if any of this will change when they finalize the new curriculum.

@Teepster87 so guess who's spending the summer at MSU for the Merial Summer Research Program....swing by and release your hate for me by giving me a hug
I'm hoping to get into a similar program for the lab animal service on campus. Interviewed yesterday, and hoping it went well.

I'm hoping to get into a similar program for the lab animal service on campus. Interviewed yesterday, and hoping it went well.

Is that the super competitive one that's offered to two students per university per year or is this specific to MSU? Either way, good luck!

I'm hoping this summer research will bolster my CV since I don't have a ton of research and lab animal experience !

Currently they offer selective courses in the 4th and 5th semester. They're like 1 unit a piece, and you take 2 total.
Not sure if any of this will change when they finalize the new curriculum.
Is there a list of classes I can look at? I'm curious as to what they offer. I'm trying to decide between Michigan and Minnesota and am having a tough time.

Just got an email about my updated position....I only moved up 6 spots, but I feel like more people on here have said they were declining OOS spots. Feeling discouraged :/

Just got an email about my updated position....I only moved up 6 spots, but I feel like more people on here have said they were declining OOS spots. Feeling discouraged :/

People who have said they're declining may not have done so yet. People have until April to respond.
I know waiting sucks, but try not let yourself get too discouraged.

Reactions: 5 users
I have yet to decline my seat due to the fact that I haven't had time and am still waiting for things to be processed at my IS. So that's at least one more slot you'll be moved up! Don't lose hope yet!

People who have said they're declining may not have done so yet. People have until April to respond.
I know waiting sucks, but try not let yourself get too discouraged.
It's also possible with some schools that overaccept OOS a little bit that they will initially only move people one spot up the waiting list for every two people that decline a seat. Don't remember if MI does this though.

It's also possible with some schools that overaccept OOS a little bit that they will initially only move people one spot up the waiting list for every two people that decline a seat. Don't remember if MI does this though.
At this time alternates move up only as other alternates withdraw their names. The school will not know how many alternate seats will be initially available until April 18th as typically only a handful of applicants actually inform the school that they are declining their seat prior to the deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
At this time alternates move up only as other alternates withdraw their names. The school will not know how many alternate seats will be initially available until April 18th as typically only a handful of applicants actually inform the school that they are declining their seat prior to the deadline.
Sorry, just making sure i fully understood what you wrote.. So you're saying that you think the only movement right now is due to people pulling themselves off of the waitlist and isn't affected yet by those who were offered spots and declined them already?

Sorry, just making sure i fully understood what you wrote.. So you're saying that you think the only movement right now is due to people pulling themselves off of the waitlist and isn't affected yet by those who were offered spots and declined them already?
That is correct. A letter was sent to the alternates last week asking who wanted to come off the alternate list and then an updated list was created based on who withdrew.

That is correct. A letter was sent to the alternates last week asking who wanted to come off the alternate list and then an updated list was created based on who withdrew.
Yeah I got that email! I guess I just assumed they would take those who were actually accepted and then declined their spots into account as well. But what you said makes more sense and makes me feel WAY better. Haha. Thank you!

Four faculty members have recently chosen to pursue opportunities out of state and a couple even out of academia, but the CVM is already in the process of interviewing great candidates to replace them.

Is there anywhere we can find more information on this? I am curious who left/ how it will influence the students.

Has anyone been accepted off of a waitlist yet? I'm trying to figure out if the waitlist movement thus far has just been people removing themselves from the list or if they have actually made any offers!

Has anyone been accepted off of a waitlist yet? I'm trying to figure out if the waitlist movement thus far has just been people removing themselves from the list or if they have actually made any offers!
Has there been anymore movement?

I don't think they start making offers until after the reply deadline.

Are there any girls out there looking for a roommate?

I was accepted off the IS waitlist Monday. I was #3 on the list.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted IS today off the the waitlist (#5)!

Reactions: 15 users
I just received notice of being accepted of the IS waitlist as well!! (#7!)

Reactions: 7 users
I just received notice of being accepted of the IS waitlist as well!! (#7!)

Oh my goodness, congrats to you WL!!!! I stayed up pretty late studying last night so I had to read the email multiple times this morning (before my brain was there) to make sure it was real life. Woohoo!

Reactions: 3 users
CONGRATS!! Wow I can't believe IS is moving so fast!

I KNOW!!!! If they are at #7 before the deadline, well, you may be staying here lady! And then I can meet your ADORABLE new foster dog.

bahah right! I may have spoken a little too soon *knock on wood*. I really hope all our pups can meet! This foster dog my actually have found his home with us. Woops :rofl:

He looks like such a handsome gentleman!! Plus, Jay will love having a brother when vet school keeps you a little busy. ;-) Yay!!

Declined my OOS seat on Monday. I really loved the school and program but can't beat IS tuition. Hope everyone on the waitlist hears good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh, I've moved up to 58 but that's still so far down...I'm getting so impatient!