Michigan State c/o 2022 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No they got rid of the old personal statement this application cycle, and put those three mini essays in it's place

That's of course what I wrote before the application opened lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

New to the forum, tech for 9 years, making the jump, first time applicant. Applying to MI state (only application:xf:) cuz my wife has a job here lol. Am I missing a "Personal Statement" section? I am seeing 3 essays on the personal info section as well as the "explain why you did weird things in your education" section, and then the MSU section with the "tell us about the time" qustions, but no "personal statement." Am I crazy?
Not crazy - they removed it. It was basically the three prompts from my understanding, so now its condensed instead of one long essay. It's frustrating because its very hard to get personal in any of the questions. Remember, its character counts not words. :/
Good luck. MSU is my only application as well for similar reasons. Husband is footing the bill for life, so there is no moving for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm here to answer questions! SDN was so helpful for me when I was applying. I hope I can be helpful to this years applicants. Good luck to all of you!
Did you do the MMI's? can you recall any questions you were asked? If so, could you provide any examples? Thanks!

Did you do the MMI's? can you recall any questions you were asked? If so, could you provide any examples? Thanks!

I interviewed at two places last year that did MMI (Michigan State and Virginia Tech). Both places made us sign nondisclosure statements saying we cannot give out examples of questions asked but if you google MMI interviews and sample questions you can get a general idea of what it will be like. I think they change the questions each year anyways. Its pretty laid back at Michigan State. As long as you dont freeze up and can articulate an opinion you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

I did do the MMIs both times that I applied. As stated above, I had to sign a statement that I wouldn't discuss the questions so I cannot provide any examples. I don't think they're anything to worry about though. It was a pretty relaxed environment as far as interviews go. I definitely preferred it to a traditional interview.

I interviewed at two places last year that did MMI (Michigan State and Virginia Tech). Both places made us sign nondisclosure statements saying we cannot give out examples of questions asked but if you google MMI interviews and sample questions you can get a general idea of what it will be like. I think they change the questions each year anyways. Its pretty laid back at Michigan State. As long as you dont freeze up and can articulate an opinion you will be fine.
I am afraid of freezing haha Thank you for the information!

I did do the MMIs both times that I applied. As stated above, I had to sign a statement that I wouldn't discuss the questions so I cannot provide any examples. I don't think they're anything to worry about though. It was a pretty relaxed environment as far as interviews go. I definitely preferred it to a traditional interview.
That helps a lot with the nerves, thank you!

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think the interviews will make or break you. Maybe if I did better I would have been a spot or 2 higher but I think it really comes down to your application.

Oh man that does not make me feel better... not sure my application is strong enough. I have no large animal experience :-/

OOS 2nd time applicant. I interviewed at MSU last year and was wait-listed. I hope I am accepted this year.

In case it makes you feel better, I bombed parts of interview. Seriously, I've never left an interview feeling so terrible and thought I would never get in after it. BUT I was waitlisted and ended up being accepted! What I'm trying to say is that I don't think the interviews will make or break you. Maybe if I did better I would have been a spot or 2 higher but I think it really comes down to your application.

You can also google MMIs and get some good practice questions and a few practice books are out there too!
If i get asked for interviews I will most definitely google that and prepare as much as I can! That does make me feel better thank you!

Application submitted! And now we wait....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm late to the party (as always, oops). Managed to make it down to #7 OOS from #58 on MSU's waitlist, but with the start of classes I've opened my VMCAS up again. I'm applying IS this year, as myself and other half moved back to this area in June because his family is nearby and we didn't want to stay in Florida. Crossing my fingers that I will make it in this year, I have no desire to move again in the next decade! :eek:

I'm late to the party (as always, oops). Managed to make it down to #7 OOS from #58 on MSU's waitlist, but with the start of classes I've opened my VMCAS up again. I'm applying IS this year, as myself and other half moved back to this area in June because his family is nearby and we didn't want to stay in Florida. Crossing my fingers that I will make it in this year, I have no desire to move again in the next decade! :eek:

Where in Florida are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to verify... MSU doesn't have a separate supplemental fee, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They did not last year, so I assume same for this year, since I haven't heard anything about having to pay one in addition to the VMCAS fee

Is this your second time applying? Where else did you apply last year and this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did not last year, so I assume same for this year, since I haven't heard anything about having to pay one in addition to the VMCAS fee

Thanks! I didn't see anything on VMCAS or the MSU application process page. Eek! Everything is submitted. Fingers crossed

Just to verify... MSU doesn't have a separate supplemental fee, correct?

I think they used to in the past, but as far as I know, they don't anymore. In the past their supplemental used to only go to people who met a specific Scholastic Indicator Score, which they have also done away with.

Yup, they sure did
I watched the video on MMI's at MSU's website, and read the sample scenarios. In the video, they talk about having a scenario on the door, but then the questions weren't specifically about the scenario. Is this true to form, or are the questions less generic and usually tie into the scenario?

I watched the video on MMI's at MSU's website, and read the sample scenarios. In the video, they talk about having a scenario on the door, but then the questions weren't specifically about the scenario. Is this true to form, or are the questions less generic and usually tie into the scenario?

Discussed above that they can't talk about it.
I interviewed at two places last year that did MMI (Michigan State and Virginia Tech). Both places made us sign nondisclosure statements saying we cannot give out examples of questions asked but if you google MMI interviews and sample questions you can get a general idea of what it will be like.

As stated above, I had to sign a statement that I wouldn't discuss the questions so I cannot provide any examples.

I just submitted my complete application today. First time OOS applicant. Wahoo!

I've probably mentioned this before, but DO NOT get anxious/worked up about the MMIs. they are seriously not that bad at all. As long as you can talk and form an opinion you will be fine.

Hi everyone! I submitted my app a few weeks ago, but just thought I would jump in on this thread. MSU is one of my top 2 choices and I made it to the wait list (OOS) last year....sooo close to making it off! Hoping for better news this year :) I'm looking forward to suffering through the long wait again with all of you. Not sure if SDN actually kept me sane or just added to my anxiety last year, but it was definitely comforting to know everyone was going through the same things as me! Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I submitted my app a few weeks ago, but just thought I would jump in on this thread. MSU is one of my top 2 choices and I made it to the wait list (OOS) last year....sooo close to making it off! Hoping for better news this year :) I'm looking forward to suffering through the long wait again with all of you. Not sure if SDN actually kept me sane or just added to my anxiety last year, but it was definitely comforting to know everyone was going through the same things as me! Good luck to all of you!

Where did you end up on the list? I had basically the same thing happen! So close yet so far.

I can't believe we still have all of October between now and finding out about interviews in November.

3120700.gif

I can't believe we still have all of October between now and finding out about interviews in November.

3120700.gif

I know, right?! I told a co-worker we have 4 weeks and a few days until November 1 and she freaked. She's trying not to think about it while I"m over here counting down the days. Lol.

Do you think they will stick to the beginning of November for interview invites? I was worried that the hurricane might have pushed the invites back. :nailbiting: I'm so nervous!

I hope they still stick to the beginning of November.

November 1st is one week from tomorrow. Not that anyone is silently counting down the days......

For the last three semesters (at least 36 credit hours) that MSU calculates for GPA, will my summer classes count for this? Or is it just full semesters like spring and fall? Also, is there a way to see how MSU calculated your GPA besides the VMCAS? I see some people saying VMCAS calculated one GPA, but the school calculated a different GPA?

For the last three semesters (at least 36 credit hours) that MSU calculates for GPA, will my summer classes count for this? Or is it just full semesters like spring and fall? Also, is there a way to see how MSU calculated your GPA besides the VMCAS? I see some people saying VMCAS calculated one GPA, but the school calculated a different GPA?
I don't have an answer for you, hopefully @SkiOtter or @finnickthedog do?

Completely unrelated, sorry, your post alert made me think for sure it would be an "i got an interview" post. so fricking anxious. Is this how the next week will be??

Reactions: 2 users

Your summer semesters count. They'll go back one semester at a time until they have at least 36 credits. You will probably be able to request an academic profile after the cycle is over but you won't see how they calculated your GPA before then. You can calculate GPAs on your own to get an estimate. The VMCAS ones will be different than what MSU calculates.

Your summer semesters count. They'll go back one semester at a time until they have at least 36 credits. You will probably be able to request an academic profile after the cycle is over but you won't see how they calculated your GPA before then. You can calculate GPAs on your own to get an estimate. The VMCAS ones will be different than what MSU calculates.

Thank you! I wish they didn't include the summer, drops my GPA :(