Michigan State CHM is Moving?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddmo

BMF
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been some recent discussion in the state about moving MSU-CHM from East Lansing to Grand Rapids as early as next year. Since the school has supprisingly not informed applicants of this, I thought I would post some articles about it below in case anyone here is considering CHM. Definitely something to be considered when making your decision.

Detroit News Article

The Grand Rapids Press Article

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine grand rapids to be much nicer than east lansing. its been too long since i lived in michigan though. I found east lansing a bit drab.

oh yeah, i loved the school though. great atmosphere. the facilities are fine, what are they doing to do, just abandon them? mebbe give it to the DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your guesses are as good as mine, and I go to CHM!! There is supposed to be an announcement by May...but I don't think it would move that soon if it did.

Our Dean told the students "expand"...not "move"..but there has been known to be some wierd language before.

I'm going to Grand Rapids anyway for clinicals...but its an interesting topic that is getting a lot of media attention here.

Mossjoh

I grew up in Grand Rapids. I have never been so happy in my entire life as when I graduated from high school and was able to leave. East Lansing has much more going for it than GR.

Many of the students I have spoken with chose CHM partially because of the Big 10 atmosphere of going to such a big school. All of that will be lost if it transfers to Grand Rapids. If the purpose of the move is to provide 'the best medical atmosphere outside of detroit' or something like that, why not just go to Wayne State?

I grew up in Grand Rapids too. Right now I work at the Van Andel, and the institute is definitely one of the main reasons the school is most likely going to move. If I were going to MSU next year, I would really want the school to move: much broader patient base in the GR area, outstanding research at VAI, and, while Grand Rapids certainly isn't Chicago or NYC (or even Detroit), it still is a city and the downtown area has developed a lot in the past 5 years. Come to think of it, the only thing you would miss by not being in east lansing is the occasional undergrad riot...

does gr have the facilities in place? it's not like a medical school will fit in the back of a uhaul.

by 'expnasion' do you think that they may be following uiuc's model with peoria?, springfield, and carbondale? [i think those are the cities] where the first two years are in east lansing and the last 2 are in gr for half the class. that or they could double the class size so a few hapless nebraska residents could get in [namely me].

The third and fourth year rotations at CHM are spread out around the state. Students go to either Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Saginaw, Lansing, Flint, or the U.P. So it is already set up where the second half of med school is in Grand Rapids for some students.

hey those undergrad riots were a good time. once i was studying in the main library for my human phys midterm and i looked out the window and there were some bushes on fire and about 20 police cars. excellent diversion from the studying.

but besides that, i think that moving to GR would be good for the school and the students. GR has a lot more to offer in terms of research AND clinical exposure. maybe they will be able to revive their MSTP program, it would be a good match with Van Andel.

and honestly if you've been to the bar once in EL, then thats probably enough.
and its not too far of a drive to go to an occasional basketball game.

I'm from West Michigan and have heard about the move possibility.

I recently spoke with a family friend who is a businessman in the Lansing area. He has no medical connection, but is someone who pays attention to what is going on. His take on the situation was this: (I don't know if this is accurate, its just what I heard...)

He said that the local Lansing Hospitals had not treated the med school well. When the school asked for "things" (the example he gave was for the school to have their own beds) the hospitals were not accommodating. Basically, they held the med school as a captive customer and were not responsive.

As far as Grand Rapids goes, it is definitely undergoing a major rejuvenation. There is a lot of money (VanAndel, DeVos, Secchia etc.) being pumped into the city and the local university (Grand Valley State University.) These are people with the will and the means to make things happen.

From what I understand, the MSU med school is being presented with a very attractive offer to pick up and move to Grand Rapids.

The aforementioned "friend" hypothesized that the decision to move had been made, but that MSU was taking some time to make the proper political moves before ?taking the school away? from E. Lansing.

after 7yrs in the MSU surrounding, 4 as undergrad, 2-3 as grad and now possibility of med schl, I dont know whether to be happy or sad about the move :( Cause now if Wayne gives me a great package, i'd actually consider it because of the whole uncertainty of this, plus i'd no longer be saving money by stayin rent free in the East Lansing area.

GR is a beautiful place and has a lot to offer CHM but it'll take away from everything and how do they think they can manage faculty moving/commuting?

Naah the little things they call riots now cant be compared to 1997 and 2000, those were the days :laugh:

If the move goes ahead as planned, those of us applying for the CHM class of 2009 would be living the move (first year in EL, second in GR!!) !!!

Would this keep any of you from applying/attending?

Makes you think...

From what I understand, it will affect 2009 more than 2008. 2008 will probably be out of there on their rotations before the move anyways. However, there will still probably be a lot of politics and crap that will trickle down during the next two years regarding the move.

yup, i'll prob be in GR for 3rd year anyway, but it'll affect 2009 who'll have to move after a yr. I wouldnt let this stop u from applyin though, CHM is a fine institution