Michigan State CHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the dates for acceptance notification? I thought that one was today, but no one (including me) seems to have been contacted...hopefully this isn't just a really bad sign!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is today...I'm waiting to hear too

Members don't see this ad :)
hmph, either tonight's not the night or I'm screwed

hey it's tonight...i was lucky enough to get a call. don't worry if you didn't hear, they might not have gotten to your app yet. i've had to wait two months to finally hear from them. good luck

hey it's tonight...i was lucky enough to get a call. don't worry if you didn't hear, they might not have gotten to your app yet. i've had to wait two months to finally hear from them. good luck

hello everyone! i received a voice message from dean shafer tonight as well. i think the web updates will be available on the 29th. good luck everyone. sandwich1023, will you be going to MSU-CHM?

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats generally speaking (for those who have interviewed at MSU)? I have yet to hear back from them pre-interview and am getting more anxious as time passes.

29 mcat...will be interviewing there in january.....

sandwhich...any tips for the interview day? :)

Got the call about 8:30 tonight and couldn't be more excited! As far as stats:

3.19 GPA, 3.18 science (engineering major defintely helped)
9P 11B 13V
Excellent EC's

Congrats everyone!

I am interviewing Thursday....does anyone have any advice specific for MSU?

Also, do you know when I will hear back from them? From the previous posts it sounds like it might take a while.

Any info would be helpful!!!

No clue about acceptance dates. As far as advice for the interview goes, it's fairly relaxed. There are 4 questions they're (supposed to be) required to ask, so search SDN for those, and you'll see which ones. For some odd reason my faculty interviewer didn't. My student interviewer was really socially awkward though. I couldn't beleive he got into medical school, let alone allowed to interview applicants. They definitely try to put you at ease throughout the day, and it's a smaller interview group (some schools have 40+), so it's great to get to meet other applicants.

Interviewed mid-late September, received a call of acceptance in the evening later October.

12V-13B-13P-R, 3.8 GPA
"Excellent ECs" (don't fall for that though. Everyone always believes their ECs are way better than they actually are, usually a dillusion stemming from crummy numbers).

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you all interview? I interviewed on Oct 12....didn't get the call.....ahh now I am 0/2

HumbleMD...you don't seem terribly humble. Excellent EC's include stem cell research w/ pulbication and engineering fieldwork in Africa, all while still an undergrad. I think that those are excellent. Why the hating?

HumbleMD...you don't seem terribly humble. Excellent EC's include stem cell research w/ pulbication and engineering fieldwork in Africa, all while still an undergrad. I think that those are excellent. Why the hating?

he could be considered humble from the school he and I go to. i don't intend to turn this into flame war, a troll post, etc, but this school really has issues about race (i haven't had a single black or hispanic professor through 4 years).

anyways, my point is that he's humble enough for this particular location.

My apologies, not meant to be a personal attack. It's just that on SDN almost everyone believes they have above average EC's (somewhat in the same vein that the majority of the U.S. population believes they have above average intelligence.) Anyway, the humility I go for also contains a big dose of realism, with the realization that when I think I'm spectacular in an area, there's still usually someone who's done it better. But, let's not let this go on further. Congrats on the acceptance to MSU.

To the OP and others on this thread, MSU interviews are based much on you in-state status, and things besides your numbers (PS, ECs, LORs) as I have many friends with stellar numbers but are on hold. Also, with Wahoo's work in Africa, and my own work, and what I've heard from others, MSU really likes community service.

But Inside, before you make assumptions about me (I'm also shocked you'd claim UM was not diverse - segregated , yes, but still diverse - the Dean of admissions at the med school is Latino, and the Asst Dean of the entire med school is African American), make sure you know the whole story - I have a demonstrated commitment (read lots of experiencing working with), and intentions to work with underserved popultions. I think that may have helped with the MSU acceptance as well. Just read their Mission Statement. Incidentally, I've declined the MSU acceptance, so now there's one up for grabs.

he could be considered humble from the school he and I go to. i don't intend to turn this into flame war, a troll post, etc, but this school really has issues about race (i haven't had a single black or hispanic professor through 4 years).

anyways, my point is that he's humble enough for this particular location.

well his location is given away by his sig... no need to hide it.

My apologies, not meant to be a personal attack. It's just that on SDN almost everyone believes they have above average EC's (somewhat in the same vein that the majority of the U.S. population believes they have above average intelligence.) Anyway, the humility I go for also contains a big dose of realism, with the realization that when I think I'm spectacular in an area, there's still usually someone who's done it better. But, let's not let this go on further. Congrats on the acceptance to MSU.

To the OP and others on this thread, MSU interviews are based much on you in-state status, and things besides your numbers (PS, ECs, LORs) as I have many friends with stellar numbers but are on hold. Also, with Wahoo's work in Africa, and my own work, and what I've heard from others, MSU really likes community service.

But Inside, before you make assumptions about me (I'm also shocked you'd claim UM was not diverse - segregated , yes, but still diverse - the Dean of admissions at the med school is Latino, and the Asst Dean of the entire med school is African American), make sure you know the whole story - I have a demonstrated commitment (read lots of experiencing working with), and intentions to work with underserved popultions. I think that may have helped with the MSU acceptance as well. Just read their Mission Statement. Incidentally, I've declined the MSU acceptance, so now there's one up for grabs.

I didn't mean to claim that UM is not diverse (though it still has serious problems with race & ethnicity in terms of culture). the same for your commitment to the underserved. I was simply commenting about your attitude compared to other people from our school (no offense, though) and i accidently got side-tracked bigtime, probably because of my bad experiences here.

well his location is given away by his sig... no need to hide it.

i wasn't logged in, so i couldn't see his sig.

Regardless of where you go to school, or the diversity in your classroom, simply by being on this forum shows a dedication to medicine...and...as dumb as this may sound...to truly wanting to help others. Best of luck to all. Lets not get petty in this process.

Regardless of where you go to school, or the diversity in your classroom, simply by being on this forum shows a dedication to medicine...and...as dumb as this may sound...to truly wanting to help others. Best of luck to all. Lets not get petty in this process.

that's a big jump in logic, don't you think?

So....any of you guys who got accepted last night mind telling when your interview was?

I interviewed Oct. 5th, and I just called the admissions department and was told that a decision had not yet been made on my application. however, they were trying to make all decisions for this semester's interviews by Dec 20. So if you didn't get the call last night, like me, all is not lost.

So you are saying that since my interview is tommorrow, I will most likely have a decision made by Dec. 20th? I hope that is the case, three weeks is not bad to wait.

Also, for everyone that has interviewed at CHM-did you all get the ethics/moral question? Just curious....

I interviewed and actually didn't get that question

hmm...i guess that is a good thing you did not get asked that!

Did you think the interview was pretty laid back? I have heard that MSU is a lot more formal than say Wayne or UofM....

Really? My CHM interview was incredibly laid back- both student and faculty interviews. My student interviewer kind of started off with the prescribed questions but he spent the rest of the time asking me about the parts of my application which interested him. My faculty interviewer asked me questions about my motivations to pursue medicine, my status as a re-applicant, and about my choices in major/minor. I have Wayne next week and don't have a prayer for Michigan. I felt that MSU was pretty informal and I came away with a good impression of the people at the school.

I'm glad to hear you thought it was laid back, so we will see tommorrow how mine goes! Good luck interviewing at Wayne....i know that Wayne is extremely laid back and it is very conversational from what my friends have told me.

anyone waiting for tonight's call or have any news on the goings on at CHM admissions?

Does anyone know when the next notification date is for the CHM? I thought, for some reason, that they'd be making calls today (19th) - but it seems like tomorrow (the 20th) is the popular choice.

Anyone know for sure - as well as what time they make the calls? I gather its around 8pm Eastern. Thanks.

I just got the call from Dr. Schafer so today must be the day. I interviewed around the first of September and unless something drastic happens I will be turning this one down.

Good luck everyone! I really liked the people at MSU. It is a good school, but not for me.

question for you guys... how did you get notified of an interview invite? Or should I just keep checking the status page? Do they hand out the invites in lumps or one at a time, sort of?

Anyone else get an email about being put on the alternative list?

Anyone else get an email about being put on the alternative list?

I would just like to know when I'll hear ANYTHING from them... a hold, a rejection, an interview, something. I was complete in august... it's now december.

I also got the email about the alternate list this morning.

I had an interviewed on Dec 1. I waited for the whole night on Dec 19th but nothing happened. On Dec 20 morning, J..called me to inform about the acceptance. If you didn't hear from them yet, they will probably call you again.
Go MSU CHM.

what are some of your guys stats, and when were you complete???

i have been complete for 2 months now and NOTHING....