This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themedhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted into the Osteopathic Medical Scholars Program at MSU. It allows me to enter MSUCOM after undergrad without writing the MCAT as long as I maintain a 3.5 GPA. I had a few questions for anyone who is in the program or who knows about it. Can I write the MCAT anyway and apply to other schools (other MD schools?). I'm not sure if that would be difficult if I were a part of this program. Also, have people applied to dental or optometry school as well even though they're a part of OMSP? I just want to keep my options open, and not restrict myself to this one school (even though it is an excellent school!). Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know much about that program, nor anyone specifically in it, but I do know many friends/classmates currently at MSUCOM and they love it. Congrats!

Now that I'm rereading this post, I think it wouldn't hurt to study and take the MCAT before undergrad is over. I think it's silly to not apply to MD programs, you basically have MSUCOM in the back pocket already, which is amazing! So taking the MCAT, getting a solid score, and applying to MD programs wouldn't hurt.

First off, congrats! From what I've heard MSUCOM is an amazing school, and the program gives you plenty of opportunities and medical exposures which will all around increase your app to any other schools as well. I'm not too informed on the subject but I would suggest taking the MCAT as well if you're a confident test taker and feel good about your pre-reqs. My interpretation of the program is they allow you to waive the MCAT for your MSUCOM app, and you can apply elsewhere. I believe if you apply to other DO schools with your MCAT MSUCOM will then receive it, not sure if they'll pay any attention to it but admission is not guaranteed and if they see you have a very poor MCAT it could effect their decision(not sure). But if you only send in your aacomas app to msucom w/o mcat, and then use aamcs to apply MD (or whatever type of program you want to apply to) you'll be safe from that. Like i said i'm not too informed on the program or process but this is just my interpretation. Anyways enjoy your time at MSU it's a wonderful school, and if you end up loving it here MSUCOM is a great DO school and Michigan is very DO friendly. Hope any of this helps!

Reactions: 1 user