Michigan, UIC, or Minnesota - planning on specializing (oral surgery)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school for specializing (oral surgery)?

• Michigan

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • UIC

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Dental Philosopher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback as to which school (Michigan, Minnesota, or UIC) would be better for a student that has an interest in specializing in oral surgery. My thought is that Michigan has a more reputable name, but, on the other hand, I hear that the students there are crazy competitive, making it harder to reach the top 10% of your class. However, I also hear that UIC has great clinical exposure. Minnesota is also quite reputable, but it's expensive.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You really can specialize from any of those schools, so I'd start by figuring out the total cost of attendance for the three and eliminating the most expensive. Then decide between the remaining two. If the cheapest school is significantly less than the other school, you have your choice made for you. If they're close then you can look at factors like match rates, where you'd rather live, vibe from interviews, etc.

Reactions: 1 users