Micro made simple (enough?) vs. kaplan for step1...any mistakes ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Game plan as of right now.....

well i've signed up for the Kaplan 15 day intense prep thing. However, I figured I'd not go to the micro classes. why ? Well I figure I would just read the Micro made easy book front to back since I've been told that this is the book to have and its more than enough for the boards.

What do you all think ? I mean the reason why I figure I should just read for micro is from my experience one just needs to sit and 'memorize' these critters. It's not like path or physio where you can 'learn' or reason stuff out it seems. Having said this. If I were to supplement this book with first aid, would it be sufficient for the step1 ? Are there any really bad mistakes in this book and is it up to date? I bought it last yr (its edition 3). I've used it for classes and it workds well.

thanks

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Micro Made Simple is a great book but it is definitely not suffice since there is almost no immuno in it. After doing many Qbank questions and a few practice exams, I don't even feel that First Aid is enough to cover the Immuno stuff by itself. Those two (Simple and FA) seem to be good together but since Micro is such a high yield topic for the boards, I would consider reading the immuno section of the Kaplan book. It is pretty good.

I'm doing first aid for micro. (annotated during the course with extras)

Micro and Immuno board examination review by jawetz and levinson for immuno (40 page high-yield section that is great).

of course questions too.

good call...yah i've noticed that micro made simple doesnt have immuno, so looking at kaplans immuno (gosh i sucked at that) would prolly be a good idea for me..i think i have HY immuno too....urrrrrrrrghhhh heheheh sooo many darn books! thats why i dont think its gonna benefit me to attend class for micro anyways. maybe on teh days they have immuno i'll attend :D

I just finished the micro/immuno Kaplan lecture with Dr. Dunn (who wrote most of the Kaplan book). He was AWESOME!! Don't skip the lectures because they are going to just hit the high yield stuff in the Kaplan book. I basically highlighted what he said is a MUST to know, then I went back and added it to First Aid if it wasn't already there. Now I am set with micro and I don't need to spend hours re-reading the Kaplan book (or Ridiculously simple book-although I will use it for anti-microbials).