Microbiology-Upper Level or Lower Level?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toro2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I see a lot of schools require Microbiology, however, how do I know if a lower level introduction to Microbiology will meet the requirements. Does anyone have a list of schools that will take a 2000 level microbiology course?

Members don't see this ad.

Call schools you're interested in and ask. Many will actually have this on their prereqs page on their websites.

Just to say it, LSU and Mississippi State both accepted my micro 2060 level class.

But really, this simply requires googling.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to SDN!

The best source to see if XYZ schools would sccept your microbiology course would be to contact the schools that you are wanting to apply to. Each school will tell you if they would accept your specific course.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I see a lot of schools require Microbiology, however, how do I know if a lower level introduction to Microbiology will meet the requirements. Does anyone have a list of schools that will take a 2000 level microbiology course?

You need to email the schools individually. Florida specifically asks for Micro, genetics and Biochem to be taken at a four year college. This may be true for others?

I took upper level simply because it was required for my "pre-vet" degree. I believe some schools will take the lower level. You have to go to the admission requirements of each school you want to apply to and the information is right there (Micro xx level or higher).

Call schools you're interested in and ask. Many will actually have this on their prereqs page on their websites.

Just to say it, LSU and Mississippi State both accepted my micro 2060 level class.

But really, this simply requires googling.

Did your micro 2060 class require only Bio 1 as a prereq?

Wait, no. 1 and 2.
Ok. See mine only requires Bio 1. Then there is a General Microbiology course that requires Bio 1 and Org Chm 1 as a prereq. I guess I am just going to have to reach out to each school to see which one they require. If it is the General Microbiology course then there is no sense in wasting the time and money on the intro course.

I took a 2000 level micro that counted for everywhere that required it. The upper level version at my school didn't have a lab, so I couldn't take it anyway.

I'm going to revive this thread with a good old question. I'm looking into Kansas and they state that they want a microbiology course with a lab. Does anyone know if they accept an intro to microbio with a lab? I've already emailed them about their biochem requirement and am waiting for a response to that before I keep bothering them lol.

Second question that is related to the first: If they do not take an intro course, would anyone be willing to tell me whether or not they think taking microbiology along with survey of biochem and comparative vertebrate anatomy in the same semester is a horrible idea? (At my undergrad the General Microbio class is offered at the same time as the Animal Behavior class (which is only taught in the fall while micro is taught both semesters) and I've been waiting to take this class for a year! And I am applying this cycle!)

I'm going to revive this thread with a good old question. I'm looking into Kansas and they state that they want a microbiology course with a lab. Does anyone know if they accept an intro to microbio with a lab? I've already emailed them about their biochem requirement and am waiting for a response to that before I keep bothering them lol.

Second question that is related to the first: If they do not take an intro course, would anyone be willing to tell me whether or not they think taking microbiology along with survey of biochem and comparative vertebrate anatomy in the same semester is a horrible idea? (At my undergrad the General Microbio class is offered at the same time as the Animal Behavior class (which is only taught in the fall while micro is taught both semesters) and I've been waiting to take this class for a year! And I am applying this cycle!)

I applied to Kansas this cycle having taken an intro to microbio+lab. They were 2000-level, and they haven't said anything to me about not having met their requirements! I also applied to LMU, and they specifically said that they couldn't take the courses because they weren't 3000 level or higher. Hope that helps! But as some people said, I would just ask the school!

I took a 300 level course for General Microbiology and while it was extremely interesting, it was also extremely challenging. I took it along with micro lab, organic chem lecture + lab and I managed to get good grades in all of them. But I will say that I struggled. I think micro is doable with another biology lecture mixed into your schedule, but personally I wouldn't take a third. I'm also currently taking biochem and it's a difficult class. Not sure I would take it with microbio myself. Go with a course load you feel comfortable with and that will be your best bet for success.

I applied to Kansas this cycle having taken an intro to microbio+lab. They were 2000-level, and they haven't said anything to me about not having met their requirements! I also applied to LMU, and they specifically said that they couldn't take the courses because they weren't 3000 level or higher. Hope that helps! But as some people said, I would just ask the school!
Thank you for this information! I'm definitely planning on emailing them once they reply to my first email, I just get really anxious when my plans get messed up for what classes I need to take. And thank you about LMU - I had considered applying there as well! What kind of biochem did you take for Kansas? I was told that Tennessee wouldn't take my 500 level cell metabolism as biochem and now have to take a 400 level chem class for biochem so it's all messed up now haha.

I took a 300 level course for General Microbiology and while it was extremely interesting, it was also extremely challenging. I took it along with micro lab, organic chem lecture + lab and I managed to get good grades in all of them. But I will say that I struggled. I think micro is doable with another biology lecture mixed into your schedule, but personally I wouldn't take a third. I'm also currently taking biochem and it's a difficult class. Not sure I would take it with microbio myself. Go with a course load you feel comfortable with and that will be your best bet for success.
I appreciate your input on the course load. My main fear was that I would end up taking on more than I could handle, especially since I hold two jobs as well. I was very worried about taking micro at the same time as biochem, so I suppose if it comes down to them not taking micro I will have to really think about forfeiting animal behavior.

I took upper level micro with a lab, ochem 1 w/ lab, A&P w/lab, and physics 1 w/lab in the same semester and was able to maintain my 4.0. @Emmy Senpai is right though...Take what YOU feel comfortable with.

I'm currently taking biochem w/lab, ochem 2 w/lab, A&P 2 w/lab and this semester is going pretty well. I crammed a lot of sciences into each semester but if you have the extra time to do them separately, do it! It'll be a lot less stressful on you in the long run. If you need the animal behavior class for the schools you are applying to, I'd take it first since it is only offered the fall semester and take Micro in the spring. Check with the schools you are applying to so you can make sure Micro isn't a "pre-req" and check each school where you'd like to apply to see how many prereqs you are allowed to have "pending in the spring semester". This should help you pick your classes a little easier. :)

I appreciate your input on the course load. My main fear was that I would end up taking on more than I could handle, especially since I hold two jobs as well. I was very worried about taking micro at the same time as biochem, so I suppose if it comes down to them not taking micro I will have to really think about forfeiting animal behavior.

When I took Animal Behavior, I thought it would be easier than it really was. For me, it was a difficult and time consuming class. I don't have a 4.0 like Liquid Phoenix does, and I did have to take less credit hours so that I could maintain the GPA that I have so that it wouldn't go down any lower. I think that 2 of the classes you want to take can be doable in one semester, along with any labs that may go with them. Personally, I would be hesitant to add a 3rd lecture class on top of those.

For what it's worth I took 100-level microbiology and was accepted to 7 OOS schools. Some of them "required" chemistry as a pre-req but clearly didn't care since they accepted my anyway. Take it your last semester when you're already accepted!

When I took Animal Behavior, I thought it would be easier than it really was. For me, it was a difficult and time consuming class. I don't have a 4.0 like Liquid Phoenix does, and I did have to take less credit hours so that I could maintain the GPA that I have so that it wouldn't go down any lower. I think that 2 of the classes you want to take can be doable in one semester, along with any labs that may go with them. Personally, I would be hesitant to add a 3rd lecture class on top of those.
I promise you my overall GPA isn't a 4.0, just my prereqs/sciences lol. I'm a non-trad and have been out of school for a LONG time, so I had to take more science classes at one time and do well in them to up my GPA. It's definitely not easy! (But it's doable lol)

Thank you for this information! I'm definitely planning on emailing them once they reply to my first email, I just get really anxious when my plans get messed up for what classes I need to take. And thank you about LMU - I had considered applying there as well! What kind of biochem did you take for Kansas? I was told that Tennessee wouldn't take my 500 level cell metabolism as biochem and now have to take a 400 level chem class for biochem so it's all messed up now haha.

No prob! And hm... I think it was a 3000-level!!

Thanks everyone for the input! Kansas state said that they WOULD take the intro to micro class as a fulfillment to their pre-reqs. It doesn't count towards my major, but it allows me to take animal behavior which I'm pretty excited about. What part of it was ultra time-consuming for you, @Emmy Senpai ?

Thanks everyone for the input! Kansas state said that they WOULD take the intro to micro class as a fulfillment to their pre-reqs. It doesn't count towards my major, but it allows me to take animal behavior which I'm pretty excited about. What part of it was ultra time-consuming for you, @Emmy Senpai ?

I just thought that I could breeze by in animal behavior, because I thought I knew everything about animals... I was so wrong. Plus, my class didn't even cover pets. We covered wild animals and insects. I had to study a lot to pass, so that's why it was time consuming.