Microbiology vs. cell bio vs. genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theITcrowd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So in the process of planning out my DIY post-bacc schedule, I’ve run into a situation where I’ll likely need to make a choice between taking 2 courses out of a choice of 3–microbiology, cell biology, or genetics—in order to complete coursework in the 3 years I’m planning to take in total before applying. From my own research into schools, it seems like genetics tends to be the only class that’s required at some schools, and even then the list is fairly short. That being said, does anyone have thoughts about which 2 courses would be better to take, both from a pre-req perspective as well as with an eye toward preparing for med school itself?

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics and Cell biology, super useful for MCAT and parts of medschool. Microbio, although important later, is mostly memorization and not that hard of a class in medschool. I'd take genetics and cell bio for sure. Love the IT Crowd btw!

Reactions: 1 user
Genetics and Cell biology, super useful for MCAT and parts of medschool. Microbio, although important later, is mostly memorization and not that hard of a class in medschool. I'd take genetics and cell bio for sure. Love the IT Crowd btw!

Thanks for the advice. And yeah super good show for sure :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Im going with microbio and genetics because they are easier and because GPA is king.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say cell bio was the most useful for the MCAT back in my day. I'd disagree that micro was easy in med school. I'd take that over* genetics, unless you want one of the schools that requires it

Last edited:
Hi all,

So in the process of planning out my DIY post-bacc schedule, I’ve run into a situation where I’ll likely need to make a choice between taking 2 courses out of a choice of 3–microbiology, cell biology, or genetics—in order to complete coursework in the 3 years I’m planning to take in total before applying. From my own research into schools, it seems like genetics tends to be the only class that’s required at some schools, and even then the list is fairly short. That being said, does anyone have thoughts about which 2 courses would be better to take, both from a pre-req perspective as well as with an eye toward preparing for med school itself?
Cell bio and genetics

Just to echo what others have already said, cell bio and genetics is the way to go. :D

Cell biology and genetics would provide you with a good foundation for many (although not all, obviously) topics that you need to master for the MCAT. I would also go with these 2.

thanks everyone for your replies!
my hope is that i can take genetics during a summer session followed by biochem, cell bio, and microbio the following year, which would be the year before i take the MCAT and apply. i also want to jam anatomy and physiology in there somewhere, too. the things on my mind are that: a) some schools don't seem to like summer courses, and b) i'd need to take anatomy and physiology at a community college if i want to somehow get all these classes in, and i don't know how much the CC thing will hurt me (although i won't have a choice with other pre-reqs like physics, so i guess that issue is unavoidable :shrug:).

If anatomy & physiology is the only course you're taking at a community college (maybe also physics), but you take the other pre-requisites in your regular post-bac program in a 4-year institution, then I think that shouldn't be something to be worried about.

Medical Micro was an extremely easy class and very interesting