Midwestern University C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fly Racing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like it was time for a new MWU thread for the next class! As a current student I'll give some information about the school. MWU was one of three of my admission offers and so far, I feel like I've made the right choice, hands down.

The interview process is a nearly all day event. You'll meet your "interview group" in the admissions building (around 12 applicants) where there will be snacks available while you wait. The building is locked, but someone will be at the door to meet you. If you're lost (which happened to me!) a nice admissions person will call you and guide you to the right building. The group then hears a presentation about the school. It is a really informative presentation that includes the school's theory of education, curriculum information, future plans, and details like accreditation facts and financial information. Then you are split into two groups. One group will wait in the room with the snacks and sofa chairs for their 30 minute interview slot. The other group will go on a walking tour of campus for about an hour (lots of talking and checking out lab and classrooms, maybe only 15 minutes of actual walking).

For the interview group, there will be different faculty members and staff dropping in to talk to you while you wait for your time. Their job is to help keep you relaxed and entertained. You can pick their brain and learn about the school or vet med topics. The interview process is meant to be professional yet relaxed so you can be yourself. The dean actually gives a short lecture on how to succeed in your interview at the end of the introductory presentation. Then they give you time before you interview to memorize your interviewers names and prepare your greeting and even practice if you want. The interviews are very friendly and the interview is more of a conversation than a interview. On recommendation of the dean, I "took charge" (yes you can laugh) of my interview, which meant they only directly asked me 3 questions during the whole interview. They gave me time to add information and change the topic, so I was directing the interview to show them what I thought was most important about me. I came in with a leather notebook and a list of topics I wanted to cover in the interview. My interviewers thought this was a great idea and demonstrated my organization and planning skills. At the end of the interview they ask me, "we are meeting with the admission committee tomorrow, what should we tell them to sell you to them?" So, be prepared for that. They did tell me at the end of the interview that I had an excellent interview, and they would be recommending me to the admissions committee. Don't be discouraged if they don't tell you that, but know they are allowed to give you feed back and I encourage you to ask that they recommend you and ask how they feel you would fit at MWU.

After everyone has completed their interviews, your entire group heads to the cafeteria for a late lunch (they avoid the noon rush hour, so you'll have a very quiet lunch). It's a normal cafeteria, so you can pick something from the grill, stir fry station, sandwiches, salads, sushi, or the daily hot lunch and it's free of charge :) You'll eat lunch as a group which will include the 4 or 6 interviewers (2 per interview room). After lunch, you'll jump on the school van/bus and have a tour of the campus from the roads. This will include the apartment complex (1 minute walk to Catus Wren, the vet building), a tour of the teaching hospital, you'll see where the large animal institute will be (it will be done in Feb/March), and get a lay of the land for where everything is within the campus. After the tour, you'll have a chance to ask any more questions or meet with any of the staff before you leave (may you wish to clarify a prerequisite?) and then you are official finished with the interview day!

I'm now off to anatomy, but I'll post later about the school, classes, and general information :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks SO much for sharing this! Incredibly helpful.

If I'm going to have an evening free right before my interview, four miles away from campus, but no access to a car, do you have any suggestions? Other than not sleeping for fear of oversleeping and being late to the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all the great info! Do you know if anyone in the past has brought someone with them for the tour etc?

If I'm going to have an evening free right before my interview, four miles away from campus, but no access to a car, do you have any suggestions? Other than not sleeping for fear of oversleeping and being late to the interview?

Hmmm, 4 miles makes me guess one of the hotels near Bell and the 101. In that case, there is a major mall within a quarter mile of the Hampton, a movie theater, and a dozen restaurants. In that area you'd have not shortage of things to do. I stayed near the 101 and I-17 and I ate at an In and Out that was next door and enjoyed an evening of TV and some last minute question prep. When you get to campus, pull up to the security booth and give them you're name. They'll direct you to the "student barrel III". It shouldn't be too complicated, but give yourself some extra time for morning traffic, especially if you're calling a cab.

Thank you for all the great info! Do you know if anyone in the past has brought someone with them for the tour etc?

I would call admissions and ask for specific details. I always found them to be very friendly to talk to. One person brought their friend with them, but they were also dressed in interview attire, so other than sticking out at introductions, I didn't even notice them. At another school someone brought their mom with them and it seemed a bit awkward. My mom came to visit the school after my acceptance (I think she really just wanted an excuse for a vacation somewhere warm!), which embarrassed me thoroughly, BUT the school and vet faculty were extremely welcoming. One of the associate deans while speaking to her made a good point about how a supportive family is really important to a successful student and he was glad she came to visit.

Hmmm, 4 miles makes me guess one of the hotels near Bell and the 101. In that case, there is a major mall within a quarter mile of the Hampton, a movie theater, and a dozen restaurants. In that area you'd have not shortage of things to do. I stayed near the 101 and I-17 and I ate at an In and Out that was next door and enjoyed an evening of TV and some last minute question prep. When you get to campus, pull up to the security booth and give them you're name. They'll direct you to the "student barrel III". It shouldn't be too complicated, but give yourself some extra time for morning traffic, especially if you're calling a cab.

I'm actually staying at an airbnb place! I'm excited as the hosts have kindly offered to drive me to my interview in the morning so I don't have to deal with cabs!

How long did it take for you to get asked for an interview after submitting your application?

It looks like it was time for a new MWU thread for the next class! As a current student I'll give some information about the school. MWU was one of three of my admission offers and so far, I feel like I've made the right choice, hands down.

The interview process is a nearly all day event. You'll meet your "interview group" in the admissions building (around 12 applicants) where there will be snacks available while you wait. The building is locked, but someone will be at the door to meet you. If you're lost (which happened to me!) a nice admissions person will call you and guide you to the right building. The group then hears a presentation about the school. It is a really informative presentation that includes the school's theory of education, curriculum information, future plans, and details like accreditation facts and financial information. Then you are split into two groups. One group will wait in the room with the snacks and sofa chairs for their 30 minute interview slot. The other group will go on a walking tour of campus for about an hour (lots of talking and checking out lab and classrooms, maybe only 15 minutes of actual walking).

For the interview group, there will be different faculty members and staff dropping in to talk to you while you wait for your time. Their job is to help keep you relaxed and entertained. You can pick their brain and learn about the school or vet med topics. The interview process is meant to be professional yet relaxed so you can be yourself. The dean actually gives a short lecture on how to succeed in your interview at the end of the introductory presentation. Then they give you time before you interview to memorize your interviewers names and prepare your greeting and even practice if you want. The interviews are very friendly and the interview is more of a conversation than a interview. On recommendation of the dean, I "took charge" (yes you can laugh) of my interview, which meant they only directly asked me 3 questions during the whole interview. They gave me time to add information and change the topic, so I was directing the interview to show them what I thought was most important about me. I came in with a leather notebook and a list of topics I wanted to cover in the interview. My interviewers thought this was a great idea and demonstrated my organization and planning skills. At the end of the interview they ask me, "we are meeting with the admission committee tomorrow, what should we tell them to sell you to them?" So, be prepared for that. They did tell me at the end of the interview that I had an excellent interview, and they would be recommending me to the admissions committee. Don't be discouraged if they don't tell you that, but know they are allowed to give you feed back and I encourage you to ask that they recommend you and ask how they feel you would fit at MWU.

After everyone has completed their interviews, your entire group heads to the cafeteria for a late lunch (they avoid the noon rush hour, so you'll have a very quiet lunch). It's a normal cafeteria, so you can pick something from the grill, stir fry station, sandwiches, salads, sushi, or the daily hot lunch and it's free of charge :) You'll eat lunch as a group which will include the 4 or 6 interviewers (2 per interview room). After lunch, you'll jump on the school van/bus and have a tour of the campus from the roads. This will include the apartment complex (1 minute walk to Catus Wren, the vet building), a tour of the teaching hospital, you'll see where the large animal institute will be (it will be done in Feb/March), and get a lay of the land for where everything is within the campus. After the tour, you'll have a chance to ask any more questions or meet with any of the staff before you leave (may you wish to clarify a prerequisite?) and then you are official finished with the interview day!

I'm now off to anatomy, but I'll post later about the school, classes, and general information :)

Thanks for posting this, it was very helpful. Do you by any chance know any stats on things like average GPA, GRE score, experience hours, etc. for accepted students? When I spoke to the admissions office they didn't really have any data on this because the program is so new. I'm just curious. I applied to Midwestern this cycle. :)

How long did it take for you to get asked for an interview after submitting your application?

The last few weeks/months have been a bit screwy for me and I don't have a good grasp of the spacetime continuum, but I *think* it took about 2-3 (or 4?) weeks. Again...not a good couple of weeks/months for me so my timeline is screwed up.

I noticed that last year there was a supplemental application for MWU. Are they just requiring VMCAS this year? Has anyone come across a supplemental for this year for MWU?

http://www.aavmc.org/supplemental.aspx
MWU is listed as "No" supplemental and there is no mention of it on the school website either. I was told by one of the faculty that last years supplemental did not end up being used in scoring or evaluating applicants (which is a bit sad, because it wasn't a short supplemental), so that might be the reason.

Fellow classmates, feel free to jump in with your interview and school feedback. I know several are on here! :)

No supplemental this year, just VMCAS I was told

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I just got an interview invite and am super excited. Fly Racing's info was absolutely great! I was wondering if anyone else had their interviews either this year or last year and could give me some pointers? I truly don't know if I do well in interviews or not and I do tend to get panicky.

I also don't drive so I am kind of freaking out about whole transportation thing... Seems doable though. It'll be my first time visiting Arizona!
Oh and - what did most people wear to the interviews? I think I may have to purchase something...

Hey everyone! I just got an interview invite and am super excited. Fly Racing's info was absolutely great! I was wondering if anyone else had their interviews either this year or last year and could give me some pointers? I truly don't know if I do well in interviews or not and I do tend to get panicky.

I also don't drive so I am kind of freaking out about whole transportation thing... Seems doable though. It'll be my first time visiting Arizona!
Oh and - what did most people wear to the interviews? I think I may have to purchase something...

I have been offered an interview as well and am very excited! I have not interviewed at Midwestern University before but to a previous interview I wore (and plan to wear to this interview) a suit jacket, pencil skirt, nice blouse, sheer nylons, and heals. I found that everyone else was dressed very professional as well. I also removed my nose ring for my interview. Some people said they didn't but I would recommend doing so if you have any facial piercings.

I have been offered an interview as well and am very excited! I have not interviewed at Midwestern University before but to a previous interview I wore (and plan to wear to this interview) a suit jacket, pencil skirt, nice blouse, sheer nylons, and heals. I found that everyone else was dressed very professional as well. I also removed my nose ring for my interview. Some people said they didn't but I would recommend doing so if you have any facial piercings.

Congrats! I heard nothing but good things about the school so that's awesome! Yup, I got a pantsuit, and removed my will be removing my lip piercing as well for sure. Now I am soo bad with heels, so still shoe shopping lol. When's your interview? Best of luck!

I will be interviewing here too, flying out from Michigan next Tuesday. Anyone else have the 29th?

I opted for an interview on the 31st instead of the 29th due to my work schedule. Heels can be hard but I personally think they look much more professional than most flats. Try a shoe with a small heel!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get VMCAS application verified? My VMCAS just got verified last Friday, and I am curious how long it takes to get a rejection or invite for interview...

Interviewing Thursday November 20th! :)

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind me asking, when did you get VMCAS application verified? My VMCAS just got verified last Friday, and I am curious how long it takes to get a rejection or invite for interview...

I got verified towards the end of September (I wanna say 25th), and got my interview invite October 8th. I will be interviewing on November 5th. :xf: I am so glad they are doing rolling admissions. I feel like I am going to go crazy waiting until January-February. Don't worry, you should hear from them soon I think they are fairly fast about this.

I keep getting emails from Midwestern with some silly little update. It's driving me crazy! The next email they send me better be about an interview! :xf:

I got the emails too. Although it is nerve racking, I am way impressed with how they are handling the process being as new as they are. None of the other schools I applied to have even contacted me. Props to Midwestern!

My application was verified last Wednesday and I got my interview invite today so it took less than a week for me. Hang tight you'll hear something soon.

I'm kind of stressing about what to wear - khaki's and a blazer or a knee-length pencil skirt and nice blouse? Does anyone think it makes any difference? People that have interviewed there already - what were most of the girls wearing?

Anyone else who is going to interview tomorrow feel up to geocaching (basically urban treasure hunting) on campus after the interview? There's supposed to be a few of them on campus and I want to check them out.

I'm kind of stressing about what to wear - khaki's and a blazer or a knee-length pencil skirt and nice blouse? Does anyone think it makes any difference? People that have interviewed there already - what were most of the girls wearing?

I plan to wear a suit jacket, pencil skirt, nice blouse, sheer nylons, and heals. At a previous interview everyone was dressed very professional as well. Its better to be over dressed than under!

I plan to wear a suit jacket, pencil skirt, nice blouse, sheer nylons, and heals. At a previous interview everyone was dressed very professional as well. Its better to be over dressed than under!
Thanks! I was thinking about it last night too and I think I'll probably end up going the skirt route.

Long time lurker on the forums and finally feel ready to join in! Received my invite yesterday morning via email and just booked my flight out of NY, hotel, and transportation for December! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know (approximately) how many of those invited for interviews are accepted?

I am not 100% sure, but when I interviewed I am pretty sure they gave offers to 4 students (not sure why that number is popping into my head right now) however, there is only one other student attending this year that was in my interview group.

Patiently waiting for an update. Good luck to everyone with interviews!

I'm going to book my flight and hotel this weekend, does anyone have any recommendations for hotels?

I'm going to book my flight and hotel this weekend, does anyone have any recommendations for hotels?

I stayed at an airbnb. It was only $60 for the night, four miles off campus, and the people I stayed with were kind enough to drive me to my interview in the AM. Not everyone on airbnb is that wonderful but some people are !

@dirtanddog - Do you know who you stayed with? I was going to stay with a friend in Phoenix and get a rental car, but it might be worth it to stay closer for that cost. Also, how did you get there from the airport?

I'm looking at flights now and the latest flight from PHX to PHL is 4:00 and I'm not sure that is enough time if the interview is over at 2:30. I'd hate to spend another night there and miss another day of work though!

@Jilary I stayed with a couple in Glendale - Ron & Carol. I took a cab there from the airport which was really expensive, but there was also traffic which didn't help. In retrospect, for how much I ended up paying for the cab from the airport, I would have just rented a car. Would have been much less stressful, and I would have probably gone a hike or something with the 6-10 hours of free time I had.

@dirtanddog - Do you know who you stayed with? I was going to stay with a friend in Phoenix and get a rental car, but it might be worth it to stay closer for that cost. Also, how did you get there from the airport?

I'm looking at flights now and the latest flight from PHX to PHL is 4:00 and I'm not sure that is enough time if the interview is over at 2:30. I'd hate to spend another night there and miss another day of work though!

You will not be able to get from the Glendale area to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport in that amount of time. The airport is a good 40 minute drive without traffic. And if your interview happens to run over or not start on time. It just would not be possible to leave at 2:30 and catch a 4PM flight out.

That sucks... looks like I'll be spending 2 nights in AZ!

I don't go to Midwestern, but I was born and raised in AZ and grew up in the area where the school is located.

So any questions about AZ or that area in particular, I can answer those.

Also 2 nights in AZ means 2 nights of warmer weather! ;)

Do what I did - go geocaching! If you're not familiar with it, just go to geocaching.com! It's 100% free and really fun - like an urban treasure hunt! Sometimes..not so urban! There are quite a few of them in that area. I was able to walk to three of them from the house I stayed in. It was about a 2 hour walk in total. I got to see the area, saw an absolutely gorgeous horse farm, and met some of the people who live in the area. Everyone was super nice. Luckily the weather is awesome and as long as you have relatively sturdy shoes and plenty of water, it's totally doable!

I've actually wanted to try geocaching, but I'd rather go with someone to first time. Still, not a bad idea. Any good vegetarian Mexican food in that area? There must be, right?

There is Mexican everywhere there. Don't know about vegetarian options though, to be honest. I am sure there are some.

The first time I went, I went by myself and found 3 in one day. It was super exciting. The mexican food around is delicious but VERY spicy!!!

The first time I went, I went by myself and found 3 in one day. It was super exciting. The mexican food around is delicious but VERY spicy!!!

That is how Mexican food is supposed to be... ;)

I am very much looking forward to Christmas in AZ and getting me a really good, proper Mexican dinner. :)